Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worried about money

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I restrained myself shopping today. To be fair, I dont do a lot of shopping.

I want a pair of £70 textile trousers to go with my textile jacket for the bike, for the following reasons:

a) its more practical, leather is hard to walk about in, sit down in, etc. etc.
    b) lighter
    c) zips up to make a 'one piece' - good for stopping drafts
    d) isnt falling apart like the pair I got for £5 from the charity shop are
    e) comes with a vvvvveeeerryyy long (15 year?) warranty if anything goes wrong
    f) looks better

however, it's £70, so I did not. I might ask for them for my birthday =). Or, if you people on thesite feel generous...

http://www.hein-gericke.com/uk/product_info.php/cPath/1_2_99/products_id/1790

I'm actually a 28 / 30 :eek: so may have to pop to their shop. But I must resist!!! :(
    why don't you put some aside each month then it's not £70 gone in one go.

are they really a necessity?
    why don't you put some aside each month then it's not £70 gone in one go.

are they really a necessity?

No cos I've got some leather ones that will protect me in the need of a crash, its just my leather ones are crap, dont fit well, and are falling apart. I might do what you've said though, save up and reward myself. First thing first though, getting a bike licence, then I can sell the small bike, then get insurance for the big one, which means I can go where I like when I like and no monthly bills! £60 a month for a 125 :(
    lol my insurance is £130 per month so be happy :D
    Do you really need leathers though? When I go out with my dad on his bike, we never wear leathers...
    Sofie wrote:
    Do you really need leathers though?
    If you value your skin you do.
    Sofie wrote:
    Do you really need leathers though? When I go out with my dad on his bike, we never wear leathers...

wait till you have a crash, then you'll wish you wore leathers.

can't stand people riding bikes in shorts etc.
    People who wear shorts on a bike are stupid.
    Sofie wrote:
    People who wear shorts on a bike are stupid.

why don't you wear leathers then? what do you wear?
    I ride a scooter, I don't wear leathers, for various reasons. I don't wear shorts and t-shirts though.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I ride a scooter, I don't wear leathers, for various reasons.

such as?
    such as?

Such as.... I don't like leather, it's very expensive, I'd be unlikely to find any to fit me unless I had it specially made. I only really use my scooter to drive on 30mph roads to work and back. I obviously wear a proper jacket and helmet and gloves, I don't want to wear thick leather trousers when I am going to work.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Such as.... I don't like leather, it's very expensive, I'd be unlikely to find any to fit me unless I had it specially made. I only really use my scooter to drive on 30mph roads to work and back. I obviously wear a proper jacket and helmet and gloves, I don't want to wear thick leather trousers when I am going to work.

that's fair enough i guess if you're not really doing high speeds like motorbikes would. :)
    PussyKatty wrote:

This is a similar reason as to why I don't wear them. And is it worth spending £70 odd if I know I'm hardly going to use them?
    Sofie wrote:
    This is a similar reason as to why I don't wear them. And is it worth spending £70 odd if I know I'm hardly going to use them?

But if you do over like 30mph, you got a lot better chance of being ok with leathers on.
    Sofie wrote:

haha ok imagine falling off your bike and losing quite a lot of skin. worth spending £70 i'd say. you presumably wear a helmet, so why not take the other protective measures?
    haha ok imagine falling off your bike and losing quite a lot of skin. worth spending £70 i'd say. you presumably wear a helmet, so why not take the other protective measures?

Because a helmet is a legal requirement? And I'm not one of these stupid people who go out riding with shorts & t-shirts on/
    Sofie wrote:
    And I'm not one of these stupid people who go out riding with shorts & t-shirts on/

so you said.

it might not be a legal requirement but surely it's sensible?
    I fell off a scooter once - tarmac is nasty. That was in Ibiza, whilst wearing shorts and T-shirt :rolleyes:
    £70 doesnt seem like much money at all to protect yourself, i'd definately go for it. You could spend £70 on a normal item of clothing.

but i do think leather is 100% cooler, grow a beard and a pony tail and look the part, might as well.
    Wyetry wrote:
    I wholeheartedly agree with this I know soo many people who have run up debts at a stupidly early age and are going to be paying them back for the rest of thier lives. Your gambling now on being able to earn loads in the future but you can never tell what your future will hold - your far better off saving up to do stuff and not living a lifestyle that you can't afford.

Totally totally agree with that.

I owe about 8k altogether, and it's really annoying now when my mates can go off travelling an stuff, and i know i've gotta wait a couple of years until i can even think about it.

Plus the fact i racked up the debts then did a stupid childish thing of like leaving my job without thinking of the consequences and therefore now have a shit credit rating cos i couldn't keep up with the repayments.

With hindsight it would have just been better for me to buy stuff i could afford, rather than borrow loads.
    koe_182 wrote:
    £70 doesnt seem like much money at all to protect yourself, i'd definately go for it. You could spend £70 on a normal item of clothing.

but i do think leather is 100% cooler, grow a beard and a pony tail and look the part, might as well.

The thing is, I do have some leather trousers, they just dont fit very well at all. I actually prefer textile stuff, maybe its not the same as a one piece racing suit along with matching power ranger helmet. But then, textile stuff is relatively light, flexible and easy to put on, so its just right for popping to the shops. Can't imagine 'RacerDude' nipping down to the coop for a pint of milk on his GSXR :p
    :crying:
    Hello

Thank you for your e-mail.

Speedo - to order from Honda @ £127.13, or we can order with our discount and 2-3 week delivery @ £95.35.

Postage - £3.99.

Total including VAT and postage, at the discount price, is £116.73.

If you wish to order please quote estimate number 624310.

We did not receive your picture.

Regards
    Mark

Stupid bike bits! For a feckless speedometer!!!