Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New sani ideas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya, been trying to save some money by making sandwiches for lunch. I've been making tuna and cucumber sandwiches for the past few days and now im thinking of trying some other ones. Problem is the ham sandwiches are a little "empty" and boring. Anyone have any other ideas? Also, how do places like boots make those chicken tikka and mexican chicken sandwiches?

i've got some shrimp so if anyone knows how to make a shrimp cocktail sandwich i'd appreciate that too!!

cheers in advance for any suggestions

Comments

• BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    pop your prawns in thousand island dressing to make prawn cocktail, then pop some lettuce etc to bulk it out. make ham and salad sarnies rather than just ham, or even ham and cheese!
    i love sandwiches, they are my world. and i want a tuna sandwich now, but as many might know, i dont have a tin opener!! :impissed:
    also if you pop a few salt and vinegar crisps into a tuna and cucumber sandwich it tastes delicious, and if you are having them at home, make a tuna and cheese melt...yummy! :yum:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I make chicken and stuffing sarnies, using breast of chicken strips, and a simple stuffing mix, only don't over do the stuffing, and put in plenty of chicken, with a scrape of mayo on the bread.

I've never tried shrimp, but honestly HATE tuna, pepper, and can't eat dairy (wheat or gluten)... so I have difficulties as well! :)
    Why don't you get a new one Bunny?
    Miffy wrote:
    How come you don't have a tin opener?

ETA: Ok, I see you broke it, but why don't you get another one?
    because I am going home in a couple of weeks, and I dont need one at home, and tbh I really didnt think it would be as bad as it is! :blush: can i borrow yours please?
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    because I am going home in a couple of weeks, and I dont need one at home, and tbh I really didnt think it would be as bad as it is! :blush: can i borrow yours please?

LOL it's hell being without a tin opener! I gather you don't share digs then!

:chin: I could post you one of these if you want... if you know how to use it.

b9_2.JPG
    Miffy wrote:
    LOL it's hell being without a tin opener! I gather you don't share digs then!

:chin: I could post you one of these if you want... if you know how to use it.

b9_2.JPG
    i did, but she left me to go back to Ireland.

what the hell is one of them? :nervous: im slightly worried as to what you want to send me...
    It's a tin opener you daft moo! :lol:
    Miffy wrote:
    It's a tin opener you daft moo! :lol:
    well they dont look like that round here lol!
    how do you use that? they just look like blades! has it been scientifically tested? with the results showing no appendages had been lost through testing? :p
    Ah, it's a survival tin opener. Kind of difficult to explain how to use it without being able to show you. Oh well.
    depends what you like really- you can put anything in a sandwich! tuna and cheese, cheese and pickle, ham, cream cheese and tomato, chicken and salad, jam, pate, beef, egg...
    Miffy wrote:
    Ah, it's a survival tin opener. Kind of difficult to explain how to use it without being able to show you. Oh well.
    aaah well thanks for your concern Miffy, I'll just come to yours for tea instead :p
    Peanut butter really is the only thing worth having in a sandwich.
    haha i read it as sanni as in sanitary towel,

erm chicken bacon and tomato , those chicken tikka filets you can get are nice with salad and mayo, cheese savory (grated cheese, spring onion, grated carrot and anything else you feel like bunging in all mixed with mayo), chicken salad and salsa, what about different types of bread to make it more interesting? in most supermarkets they do individual rolls with various thinngs in the bread like sundried tomatos, garlic, olives onion ect.

bagels? garlic and herb cream cheese and chorizo ismy fave.
    :sour:

i agree :yuck:
    melanie wrote:
    bagels? garlic and herb cream cheese and chorizo ismy fave.
    the nicest thing i have ever had in a bagel was one of them birds eye chicken chargrill things, on a bagel with philadelphia...scrumptious!
    :sour:
    Lies, peanut butter is wonderful.
    strawberry jam and cheshire cheese ...blackcurrent jam and cheddar.
    might sound odd but ...try it and see.
    Do the jam/cheese combos have to be that specific? It doesn't really sound that weird, people eat cheese with christmas cake and apple pie after all.

Tell you what's nice with tuna mayonnaise is grapes.
    melanie wrote:
    haha i read it as sanni as in sanitary towel,

me too!

:heart: sandwiches.
    strawberry jam and cheshire cheese ...blackcurrent jam and cheddar.
    might sound odd but ...try it and see.
    Jam and cheese is very popular in Brazil. You often see it as a choice of pancake topping etc. They call it "Romeo e Julieta" (Romeo and Juliet). I quite like it.
    Ok, keep a lettuce in your fridge, attack it with clingfilm. In the morn, open it up, slice a nice bit, put it in a roll - they taste better than sliced bread - and add salad dressing / salad cream. If you like some extra bits then add tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc. etc. and then add a bit of turkey - cheapest sandwich meat around!

If you're really adventurous you could try something adventurous. My girlfriend lives by mango chutney and raspberry wensleydale sandwiches. So far I've not had the 'delight' of trying it yet.
    If you're really adventurous you could try something adventurous. My girlfriend lives by mango chutney and raspberry wensleydale sandwiches. So far I've not had the 'delight' of trying it yet.
    Sounds good. :yum:
    Cant believe I said:
    If you're really adventurous you could try something adventurous.

:no:

Also, I think I should make a website of sandwich recipes. :yes: Not my own recipes, but in the wider web thing really.
    Cant believe I said:.
    What? It's only logical. :lol:
    coco pops and jam :shocking:
    tortilla wraps with ANYTHING in. my personal favourite...hummus, avacado, sliced peppers (raw or roasted), grated cheese, lettuce leaves and fresh basil (if you're feeling posh, i'm normally not). bloody lovely!

OR...stir fry some vegetables with chili powder or mexican seasoning (pepper mushroom and onion is good, add chicken if you're not a vegimite), leave to cool then put in a tortilla with cheese, salsa, lettuce and mashed avacado

nothing beats a lasagne or a supernoodle sandwich though. they don't transport very well :(
    A pitta bread, slit open, filled with honey chicken slices, cucumber, some sort of sauce, whatever you fancy really.

There are so many types of bread on offer now in supermarkets that sandwiches don't have to be boring.