Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

SSRI Interactions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am currently on citalopram, is it okay to take poppers while on this? And what about codeine? (for migraines) and also, why is it that it isn't recommended to drink alcohol while on citalopram?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well from what I know, codene is fine. I've been prescribed it several times, having the doctors know my current medication (being on an SSRI also) and theres no problems.

Alcohol and SSRI's
    Drinking alcohol when taking an SSRI is not a good idea for several reasons. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and since the SSRI's can cause sedation, the combination can be dangerous if driving or operating heavy equipment. Many people report that when taking an SSRI, even if they do not feel sedated, alcohol effects them more strongly than usual, and one drink may feel like two to four. In addition, alcohol can depress mood. I would argue that it makes little sense to be taking both a depressant and an antidepressant, particularly if you are having problems being depressed.

Given all this, alcohol is not absolutely contraindicated when taking an SSRI, and some people are able to continue social use of alcohol cautiously and responsibly without ill effect. Moderation, meaning no more than one or two drinks once or twice a week, is certainly recommended.
    http://www.psymed.com/ssri.html

In my personal experience, I've found that when I am moody during the day, drinking effects it more. So say I'm in a bad mood, I'll drink and I'll spend the rest of the night crying and yelling at the poor innocent boyfriend. If I'm in a good mood, I'll spend all night talking and annoying anybody who will listen. I would say it definatly effects you more, like how they said one drink feels like 2 or something, but I've never drank while not on them, so I wouldn't really have anything to compare it to, but I am a lightweight :p
    SSRI interactions

My personal experience is citalopram and booze is fine. They say don't drink because alcohol is a depressant so makes sense not to if you're depressed. But fun nights can lift spirits which counters depressive effects (as long as its not every night) so I think its just the docs covering themselves.

With some of the older SSRIs people were getting blackouts on only medium levels of booze plus I've seen friends fly into massive rages on seroxat (I think thats the name). I'm on citalopram now and have had no problems. On sertraline (Zoloft or Lustral) I occassionally went manic and made bad choices but I was then drinking alot.

Re codeine I've never had any problems.

Re poppers don't do them simply because brain rotting muck that''ll give a depressed person the worst come down ever (if you're sniffing all night at a club say).

But I'm not doc so above is just my own experience.

Cheers
    You won't get a comedown off poppers...just maybe a bit of a headache!
    Or a lot of a headache, i hate the stuff!! its more of a oh my god this is weird i dont feel right rather than a buzz.

what's the medicinal use for the proper amyl poppers that you actually pop under your nose? something to do with strokes or something innit? anybody know im quite interested? I know it was used as a vasodialator but for what purpose.
    I think it's for some heart condition or something. Look on erowid?
    Nitrates are for angina, yeah.
    I take an SSRI (sertraline) and find that the effects of alcohol are enhanced.
    But you dont need to be clever to work out that you just drink less, and slowly until you can see how its affecting you.

As for poppers, i use them occaisionally, just when im piss bored and ive never had anything bad happen other than a headache.
    Taking SSRI's and poppers is not really the most advisable thing in the world but if you have normal blood pressure, have no heart or breathing problems then it's not going to do much harm tbh. Have fun. :thumb:
    they can help momentary angina attacks by their action of dialating the blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure.
    apparently the newer SSRI's, citalopram, Sertraline etc. arent as susceptable to adverse reactions with alcohol.

However, this may be a very personal thing for a number of reasons. There is documented evidence of some people receiving a more pronounced effect from alcohol than would normally be the case, whilst taking SSRI medication.

Also, mood while intoxicated is also recorded to vary in some people, particularly when quite intoxicated and often with unfavourable results.

The best thing in terms of both your medication and whatever concern caused you to be scripted this, would be to refrain from drinking to excess, which means not exceeeding your four units a day (2 pints of Carling-type lager or 2 25ml shots of 40% spirit). These guidelines also prescribe 2 alcohol free days during the week.

As long as you dont drink to get drunk you shouldnt encounter much of a problem, but ALWAYS consult your GP to make sure this is the right course of action for your particular health issue.
    Whether its coincidence or what but last time i went out id forgotten to take my tablet the night before and i found i was able to drink a lot more.. Im no good at working out how long medications last in your body, but couldnt be bothered taking it last night and i dont feel any different tonight mood-wise but maybe its long enough for it not to interact with alcohol.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It's not just the intereaction you should be taking into account either, drinking while you are trying to overcome depression isn't a good idea for a whole host of reasons.
    james37 wrote:
    They say don't drink because alcohol is a depressant so makes sense not to if you're depressed.

Alcohol is not called a depressant because it has any change on your mood, it is called that because of its effect on the CNS.
    I am currently on citalopram, is it okay to take poppers while on this? And what about codeine? (for migraines) and also, why is it that it isn't recommended to drink alcohol while on citalopram?
    im am also taking citalopram. taking any other mind altering substances whilst being treated for depression is at best negating your treatment but more often downright dangerous. chances are your condition has been caused by these in the first place.my depression was made far worse by my self medicating with alcohol,good luck,John
    When I drank on citalopram I got a terrible hangover, far worse than normal.