Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well... after all I was saying about not needing to cut... I feel like a complete hypocrite.

I've been doing so well since February, making the most of every day and keeping myself happy and optimistic. But recently everything's been piling onto of me. Last night I just couldn't take it anymore, and I cut for the first time in months. I cried for hours, letting out everything I've been doing so well keeping in for the last couple of months.

Meh...
  • Options
    Its probably good you cried and let everything out.
    Its not good to keep things inside.

I dont follow that advice either.
  • Options
    It's better out than in, but cutting is obviously not the best way to cope with stress.

It's human to be stressed, especially during important things like exams, you need to cut yourself some slack and let yourself be stressed. Be aware you're stressed, and do things to relax instead of fighting it.

Your uni will probably offer free relaxation classes, I'd take them up if I were you.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I cried last night... It's one of those things that hardly ever happens.

I also called people for no reason, and it wasn't a good night for me last night... Roll on tomorrow and my birthday? =\
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I cried last night... It's one of those things that hardly ever happens.

I also called people for no reason, and it wasn't a good night for me last night... Roll on tomorrow and my birthday? =\
    Happy birthday for tomorrow :)
    I find that crying helps me, just is a release. I don't usually cry infront of people though, I may go teary-eyed, but I have a thing about not crying.
  • Options
    "If I'm really annoyed/upset, I sometimes get a strong desire to punch something. Not necessaraly a wall (but if I do hit something , it often is), just something to take my anger out. Even then, I rarely end up actually punching anything, I just swing but don't hit. I never thought wanting to punch a wall was self harm, but loads of people on here have mentioned it. I just thought it was releasing anger..."

I've never classed it as self harm either but I do it quite frequently because I just get so frustrated with myself all the time.

Surely it's not a form of self harm is it? :nervous:
  • Options
    You're hurting yourself. It's self-harm.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    your-babe wrote:
    Happy birthday for tomorrow :)
    I find that crying helps me, just is a release. I don't usually cry infront of people though, I may go teary-eyed, but I have a thing about not crying.
    I just don't cry... it's something that really never happens.
  • Options
    Oh shitscrewcrap... have an exam today, which I've revised really hard for, and completely forgot I had a sociology one to revise for tomorrow... bollocks comes to mind :(

Still, no urges yet :) Things are actually not that bad! Me and the other half celebrate our 7month tomorrow too, which will be nice seeing him! Hopefully! Depending on when he gets out of work! :)
  • Options
    Just remember, you know it all, you just need some reminding. be calm, take your exam, read up on sociology tonight and before your exam tmoorrow, and you'll be set.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Just remember, you know it all, you just need some reminding. be calm, take your exam, read up on sociology tonight and before your exam tmoorrow, and you'll be set.
    Yeah thankyou, just need remind myself that I can do it, and trying to keep in mind that I DO know the sociology, but have been in panic mode all bloody morning. As a result, because I was so worried and stressed, I ended up vomitting, nice :( Still it's better than harming I suppose.
  • Options
    Done little revision this evening. So fricking stupid. It's times like now I wonder why the bloody hell I gave up something I enjoyed so much. Bloody give up.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You're hurting yourself. It's self-harm.

I agree :yes:
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Done little revision this evening. So fricking stupid. It's times like now I wonder why the bloody hell I gave up something I enjoyed so much. Bloody give up.

You've come this far, and I know you can keep on going. Believe in yourself, because you know you can concentrate if you just let yourself relax a little :)
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    You've come this far, and I know you can keep on going. Believe in yourself, because you know you can concentrate if you just let yourself relax a little :)

Definitely, your exams will be finished in no time and then you can look back and feel proud that you did you best. Good luck sweetie! xx
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Oh shitscrewcrap... have an exam today, which I've revised really hard for, and completely forgot I had a sociology one to revise for tomorrow... bollocks comes to mind :(

Muppetttttttttt!!!!!! :)

Fuck it. We all fuck up from time to time. Don't beat yourself up over it. Anyway, you're clever, you don't need to revise :).
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    I can't relax myself though, have tried breathing excercises- even in an exam, which resulted in an examinator asking if I was ok :confused: No slips up last night, Christ knows how, was in a stinking mood!

Exam didn't go too well, out of 6 questions, found 2 really hard, I'm just thankful this exam was only for sociology though, and not a subject that I care a lot about!
  • Options
    Muppetttttttttt!!!!!! :)

Fuck it. We all fuck up from time to time. Don't beat yourself up over it. Anyway, you're clever, you don't need to revise :).
    I know i'm a bloody muppet :D To be honest I wasn't that shocked that I found the paper so hard though. Which is good in a way. But hey, no more exams for a couple of weeks :D

Ta for the 'you're clever' bit!
  • Options
    And suddenly I feel horrible. I'm fed up with myself to the point that I hate myself. And I can't understand why. Nothing has happened to make me feel this way. But still I do. I feel sick and miserable and like I just don't want to be myself anymore.

I get this way quite often. Just all of a sudden. Brought on by something so tiny that no one else would even consider it.

I just asked the guy I'm seeing if he was seeing someone that he mentioned before, because we haven't really got a relationship as such, we're just 'seeing' each other. And then I felt so disgusted at myself for asking it. He answered honestly and said that he was seeing just me, and while that was going on he wouldn't be seeing anyone else. But I just felt like I had to be sorry. I always feel like I have to be sorry.

I hate it.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I know i'm a bloody muppet :D To be honest I wasn't that shocked that I found the paper so hard though. Which is good in a way. But hey, no more exams for a couple of weeks :D

Ta for the 'you're clever' bit!

See, you managed to get through your exam! As click siad we all fuck up sometimes, you just have too put it behind you and move on, and if it comes to it, I'm sure you can always do a re-sit. I've actually done four months now with out any s/h I'm quite proud of myself! Not sure how I'll cope in a couple of weeks when my exams start!
  • Options
    Why be sorry? Be yourself. If you want to know something, then ask. Don't be ashamed of who you are.

Most people tend to feel a little uncomfortable when someone they like is seeing other people as well. It isn't anything to be ashamed about. It isn't anything to be sorry for.

If you feel bad about it, talk to him, and explain why you felt you had to ask :). He's just as human as you - hopefully! He'll probably understand :).
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    And suddenly I feel horrible. I'm fed up with myself to the point that I hate myself. And I can't understand why. Nothing has happened to make me feel this way. But still I do. I feel sick and miserable and like I just don't want to be myself anymore.

I get this way quite often. Just all of a sudden. Brought on by something so tiny that no one else would even consider it.

I just asked the guy I'm seeing if he was seeing someone that he mentioned before, because we haven't really got a relationship as such, we're just 'seeing' each other. And then I felt so disgusted at myself for asking it. He answered honestly and said that he was seeing just me, and while that was going on he wouldn't be seeing anyone else. But I just felt like I had to be sorry. I always feel like I have to be sorry.

I hate it.
    I know how you feel, I can be really really happy one minute and soneone will say or do something and I'll feel like crap the next. It happens to all of us, just dont use it as an excuse to s/h, which is what I used to do! it just turns into a viscous cycle that is difficult to break out of!
  • Options
    I've actually done four months now with out any s/h I'm quite proud of myself! Not sure how I'll cope in a couple of weeks when my exams start!

Top banana! Go you! :)

You'll cope just fine with your exams. It's only a crappy little test. If you fuck it up, then you can always do a re-sit.

Even if you get mega-stressed with revision and whatnot, what is cutting going to achieve? It'll make you feel miserable that you gave in, and you'll feel sore. Is it worth it for the few minutes of relief?

After the few minutes of relief, you'll still have the exams coming up. You'll still be feeling stressed, you'll still need to revise. But you'll be leaking fluid from your body which is designed to remain inside it - and you'll be sore.

The problems don't go away because you cut. :)
  • Options
    I know how you feel, I can be really really happy one minute and soneone will say or do something and I'll feel like crap the next. It happens to all of us, just dont use it as an excuse to s/h, which is what I used to do! it just turns into a viscous cycle that is difficult to break out of!

It's exactly what I'm prone to doing and I don't like it. I just have to keep reminding myself when I'm in that mood that it will only last for about 30 mins-an hour and then I'll feel fine again. It's weird that way.
  • Options
    Another day :):(
  • Options
    Not too good today. Am quite pissed off, and because other people have made me feel shit by saying stuff to me, I now want to make myself feel more shit. I don't understnd how I want to make myself feel more shit, I just want to do it, I feel that I need to, whether it be starving myself/making myself vomit, it's better than cutting. I don't want to cut anymore, I just want to hurt, why don't they get that?

Am fed up with a few relationships. It feels as if someone is changing. I don't know how, but it just feels like we're getting closer, which is really good, I love him very much, but I don't know if it's me who's changing, or him. I'm just confused.

Constantly thinking about how much bloody revision I have to do. Damn it.
  • Options
    Over the last 48 hours, I've been crying randomly. It feels odd. I'm not even sure why I am crying. I don't feel happy, I don't feel sad, I simply feel rather blank.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Not too good today. Am quite pissed off, and because other people have made me feel shit by saying stuff to me, I now want to make myself feel more shit. I don't understnd how I want to make myself feel more shit, I just want to do it, I feel that I need to, whether it be starving myself/making myself vomit, it's better than cutting. I don't want to cut anymore, I just want to hurt, why don't they get that?

Am fed up with a few relationships. It feels as if someone is changing. I don't know how, but it just feels like we're getting closer, which is really good, I love him very much, but I don't know if it's me who's changing, or him. I'm just confused.

Constantly thinking about how much bloody revision I have to do. Damn it.
    You sound like your under a lot of stress with your exams at the moment and other things are making things seem worse. Realtionships will change esp as you start coming out of the honeymoon phase and start seeing each other without rose tinted specs. You really need to find a way to hurt without starving/vomiting as that transfers your problems not solves them and make things a lot lot worse.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Over the last 48 hours, I've been crying randomly. It feels odd. I'm not even sure why I am crying. I don't feel happy, I don't feel sad, I simply feel rather blank.
    This happens to me as well. I end up crying for no reason at all. None. It just a way of trying to cope without using the old methods. I can go whole weeks of crying myself to sleep every night. Feeling blank can sometimes be better then feeling anything else. I have my exams in two weeks, I'm starting to panic and I need, really really fucking need the type of release I promised someone I would never do again.
  • Options
    You sound like your under a lot of stress with your exams at the moment and other things are making things seem worse. Realtionships will change esp as you start coming out of the honeymoon phase and start seeing each other without rose tinted specs. You really need to find a way to hurt without starving/vomiting as that transfers your problems not solves them and make things a lot lot worse.
    Yeah, feel quite stressed. This is my first relationship, so it's all kinda new for me. Wasn't expecting the honeymoon thing to end, didn't even know it existed til a few months back. I've already began to see him without the rose tinted specs like you said, it's just the changes that come with it that I wasn't prepared for. I have no idea how else I can make myself hurt without damage. I can see what you mean about transfering problems. I'm decreasing the amount of times that I do it though, I rarely starve myself now, if I do it isn't for a long time. I only feel like I need to make myself be sick if I eat a big meal, eg dinner. Haven't ever told councillor lady thou. Just seems like she'll be disappointed. She said that I've improved a great deal, and I've achieved half of my goal I disussed with her- Make an effort with appearance, Get a better diet, see friends outside college, no harming etc.

The OCD is still very much around thou. It's sooo bloody annoying. That's the only area I need to work on now. Possibly. The urges I get are so small, and so rare now, it truly is great.

Never thought I'd say it, but councilling has been quite beneficial to me. At times I hate it, and promise myself that I'm never going back, but still I always find myself going back to her.