Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vegetarians (and no fish killers)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you think that animals are treated cruely while they are being reared for food consumption?

Yes and I've said I don't care. It's nature.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    at the end of the day
    kill it
    prepare it
    and cook it
    yourself...
    otherwise you're just a hypocrite. ~ why pay a middle man to do it for you.

the truth is if people had to do that for themselves (and a lot of people wouldn't be able to manage it or even know where to start) then a lot of people would adopt a vegetarian lifestyle. same as if you saw the inside of slaughter houses or the conditions in factory farms - you would think twice about eating meat.

I can honestly tell you now I still wouldn't think twice. I've injured animals before and tried to kill some so I don't care about it.

ETA:I'm fully aware I've said previously I'm against hurting animals for fun, I wouldn't do it now but I've done it when I was a bit younger. The point still stands.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes and I've said I don't care. It's nature.

the 'its nature' arguement doesn't wash with me. its human nature to fight to the death when sumone tries to steal ur cave and hav sex with ur cavewoman girlfriend but thats not socially accepted is it!! some of us have evolved a bit from there and moved on. developed morals and the like
  • Options
    the cruelty will still happen whether or not you chose to eat it, someone else will just eat the chicken and the same number of chickens will be killed.
    my point exactly
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've injured animals before and tried to kill some so I don't care about it.
    why?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    the 'its nature' arguement doesn't wash with me. its human nature to fight to the death when sumone tries to steal ur cave and hav sex with ur cavewoman girlfriend but thats not socially accepted is it!! some of us have evolved a bit from there and moved on. developed morals and the like

What's your point?

I wonder, if you were an animal who had to hunt for its food (which would mostly be meat) would you do it?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:

:confused:

Yes we've evolved, so what?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    yep. and we've evolved so far that we cannot even eat meat without cooking it.
    do you know any other mammal / omnivoir / carnivour on the plaent which has to resort to that?! - is it still natural to eat meat?!
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    is it?
    give a chicken an extra 2 inches sq. to move around, and call it "free-range"

i know, its still horrible. but its a step in the right direction
    the animal will still get killed in the same way. why does it matter whether they were allowed to roam around in a few more acres of land before it died?

i don't agree with the way they're killed, they suffer and its horrible. theyre scared and in pain. they might only be animals but i find it incredibly sad
  • Options
    oooo i think this is the longest that a thread i posted has ever got too :D
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    why?

For a laugh, why else would anyone do it?
  • Options
    and we are all going to die/ be killed any way - does that mean its ok to have to live our lives in misery?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    What's your point?

I wonder, if you were an animal who had to hunt for its food (which would mostly be meat) would you do it?

but i'm not! i don't think you'd like it if someone said you were on the same intellectual level as a pig! we're different, we're social and most of us like to think we have standards and morels. cruelty to animals seems to be an area where people forget this
  • Options
    turlough that is the most immature thing i have ever heard you say. Sorry to regurgitate the same old same old - but would you torture a human 'just for a laugh?' whats the difference? that we are sentient beings? it doesnt matter if animals are or not - they still feel pain in exactly the same way we do. and unless you are a creationalist, there is no strict devide.
  • Options
    You've obviously misunderstood what I said...

What I meant was:
    If you were an animal would YOU still go out hunting other animals for food?
  • Options
    IIRC human digestive systems are designed best to live off a diet of fruit! :yes:

Though we are very adaptable and can eat many other things too. However, I read somewhere that eating excessive meat is linked to many illnesses including cancer. Apparently, I will find sources later. Going to have a chinese now! (with meat in, but seriously, veggies in lemon sauce isnt the same as chicken in lemon sauce :yum:)
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    i know, its still horrible. but its a step in the right direction

i don't agree with the way they're killed, they suffer and its horrible. theyre scared and in pain. they might only be animals but i find it incredibly sad

don't get me wrong i'm not for animal cruelty, i love animals. but the fact of life is that many of them are born to be killed.
  • Options
    Hello. I miss marshmallows more than meat.

But I suck as a vegetarian. I only eat meat substitute most of the time. As much as the cruelness is, the tastiness is still a factor.
  • Options
    IIRC human digestive systems are designed best to live off a diet of fruit! :yes:
    ... and human beings do not have the same digestive enzymes in their saliva that any other meat eating creature does...
    the idea of eating meat being natural - may be it once was but it isn't anymore.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    You've obviously misunderstood what I said...

What I meant was:
    If you were an animal would YOU still go out hunting other animals for food?

yes i would. but i'm not just an animal am i? i'm a human
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    turlough that is the most immature thing i have ever heard you say. Sorry to regurgitate the same old same old - but would you torture a human 'just for a laugh?' whats the difference? that we are sentient beings? it doesnt matter if animals are or not - they still feel pain in exactly the same way we do. and unless you are a creationalist, there is no strict devide.

I was young and stupid. I wouldn't do it now.

The point I was trying to make is that if the situation came about, I wouldn't think twice about killing an animal to eat it.
  • Options
    don't get me wrong i'm not for animal cruelty, i love animals. but the fact of life is that many of them are born to be killed.

i know and i fully agree with eating meat. i just don't agree with the cruelty involved
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    i know and i fully agree with eating meat. i just don't agree with the cruelty involved

This is also what I think. But you obviously don't realise this...
  • Options
    why would some veggies eat fish though? surely that's not being a proper vegetarian. i know someone who just won't eat red meat. wtf?

depends why you're a veggie. i know someone who won't eat meat simply cause she doesn't like it. but she will eat fish and seafood and things with animal by-products in (gelatine and whatnot).

i'm not veggie, but i don't eat a lot of meat. i stopped eating red meat when i was 14. no moral objection, just the thought of eating something that bleeds on your plate doesn't do it for me.

i will eat chicken and turkey, and i'm partial to a bacon butty (is bacon a red meat? maybe i lie?), but i have to be in the mood for it, and the less it looks like bits of animal, the better. i hate meat on the bone, or anything with veins in :yuck:

if there is a veggie option on the menu that i like, i would probably choose that over a meat option 80% of the time.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    well... tbh... you cannot eat meat without cruelty being involved.
    so you cannot agree with one and not the other.
    you eat meat - something has to loose its life for you to have some lunch. - end of.
    and what about dairy? - there is a huge amount of cruelty involved in the dairy industry... does that bother you?
  • Options
    I think it's funny how people get pissed off at each other in this thread! Tee hee! There one bunch of people arguing one thing, and one bunch arguing another and it goes on and on and on.

It rocks! :yippe:
  • Options
    I take it you've never been in the politics forum?
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    I think it's funny how people get pissed off at each other in this thread! Tee hee! There one bunch of people arguing one thing, and one bunch arguing another and it goes on and on and on.

:yes: Aumsing definatly. Arguing over food. :p
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:

yeah. well. whenever you argue for a lifestyle choice either eating meat or being veggie - people are usually quick to defend themselves!
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    yeah. well. whenever you argue for a lifestyle choice either eating meat or being veggie - people are usually quick to defend themselves!

And I love it.

Peace out dudes! :thumb: