Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Linux help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right I'm gonna give it another shot.

What do I need in order to get my wireless card working and how do I setup wep and monitor singal strength etc?

Comments

• Options
    Oh, there is no Linux drivers for my card.
  • Options
    Oh, there is no Linux drivers for my card.

;) Maybe you can use NDIS wrapper, which uses Windows drivers under Linux... perfect.
  • Options
    I couldn't get it to work, cannot be arsed to play about with it.
  • Options
    What wireless card do you have?
  • Options
    It's a brand x one...Pheenet with a Marvel chip
  • Options
    I've said this once this week already, but, dude you gotta go to a forum dedicated to linux, not a teen advice forum :P

linuxquestions.org/questions/

I appreciate there may be experts here too, but you have a better chance of finding solutions with a tech forum.

Good luck
  • Options
    I already have done, didn't get much help tbh.
  • Options
    That sucks, because I tried to get my wireless on my centrino to work a few months back, it was such a pain, and it never did quite work. So I just use the ethernet and a usb key when I'm not home.
  • Options

So, try a different forum. ;)

I'm no use with this - I've never set up wireless networking in Linux or Windows. But I can guide you through getting an Audigy2 NX working under ALSA, complete with remote control. Or how to tweak the Audigy2 SE SB0570 so you'll get far better and deeper bass response, and better stereo imaging.

If you can't get the advice you need, then look elsewhere. As said before, you're more likely to get a useful answer from a site dedicated to Linux - possibly one dedicated to your chosen distribution, or even better, the support forum for wireless networking - possibly even the forum for whichever application takes care of wireless under Linux.

If I wanted advice on rebuilding the gearbox on a 1998 Impreza Turbo 2000, then I might ask here. I might even get some useful information, or pointers as to where I should be looking. But I'd almost certainly be getting better advice on ScoobyNet :).

ETA - Marvell don't appear to be too well supported. Is it worth looking for a different card?

cheap Linksys card
    Specs
    Howto

Cheap solution!
  • Options
    It just seems more hassle than its worth. I've got amost everything else the way I want it. Plus even if I get a card thats supposed to be supported, I'll have to pray I get the same revision number, because a lot of people get caught out by changes in the wireless chipsets. Companies keep moving chips to reduce costs, and linux is always behind windows in terms of drivers.

But I'm happy with my system, and I'm shifting away from being beginner, towards a soft middle area.