Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

carrying a blade.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i used to carry a spoon.
    i used to carry a spoon.

Theres been so many times I've gotten a point of ice cream and never had a spoon with me... if only you were with me...
    my_name wrote:
    Theres been so many times I've gotten a point of ice cream and never had a spoon with me... if only you were with me...
    it was a bit burnt though.
    I used to carry a knife aroud with me when I was ickle, but that wasn't to stab people, it was to cut brances off trees / cut ropes (like, for ropeswings) / random things like that. But I reckon I was about 9/10/11 at the time, after that I stopped going out as much as I was a loner and spent all my time on the net. :(
    No I don't carry knives. I think it's scummy.

There is evidence that knife carriers have certain psychological problems, if they use them, they're always adamant that it's for self protection. Even if they target someone completely random.
    time has come ...if your carrying a knife ...jail.
    no. i don't carry a knife with me.
    but... you got me thinking...
    what would happen say if you carried one with you, not for protection or anything like that, but what if you were a self harmer, and you carried one with you just to do that... how does that stand in the law?!
    The only even slightly sharp thing I have are nail scissors and tweezers! Well, had. They made me throw them away at the airport. :crying: Because, ya know, I might tweezer someone to death. :mad:
    The only even slightly sharp thing I have are nail scissors and tweezers! Well, had. They made me throw them away at the airport. :crying: Because, ya know, I might tweezer someone to death. :mad:

You always hear stories of, my friends sister had her nail clippers confisgated. I had a nail manicure set including allt he sharp dangerous bits and my brothers electric razor in my carry on bag and they didn't say a word, they just made me get rid of the lighter I had, oops. I think alot of the, they stole my nail clipper stories are bullshit.
    Well, at East Midlands and...some airport in Edinburgh...they have these big bins and you have to chuck them all away. Then I got scanned and felt up when the bastard thing beeped anyway.

They had this little display case of things you have to get rid of and it had pictures of scissors, knives, forks and shit in it. Yeah, because I carry forks everywhere I go. :yeees:
    Well, at East Midlands and...some airport in Edinburgh...they have these big bins and you have to chuck them all away. Then I got scanned and felt up when the bastard thing beeped anyway.

They had this little display case of things you have to get rid of and it had pictures of scissors, knives, forks and shit in it. Yeah, because I carry forks everywhere I go. :yeees:

:lol: I wonder how many forks they run into in a day. I bet their job, though boring, can definatly have its perks. Do you have to take your shoes off there? We had to, I think thats ackward for everybody involved.
    batleth.jpg
    batleth.jpg

Wow! You have one of those too?!
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Wow! You have one of those too?!

Surgery can get rid of those facial tumors, not to mention it would be in your best interest to get them checked out anyway, they could be cancerous. Have you noticed any changes in size, shape or color recently?
    my_name wrote:
    Surgery can get rid of those facial tumors, not to mention it would be in your best interest to get them checked out anyway, they could be cancerous. Have you noticed any changes in size, shape or color recently?

I think I've got horns growing out of the ends of them, too. I've pretty much derailed this thread. So to bring it nicely back - speaking of batleths and stuff, one was on the news the other day after being handed in to one of the 'knife' bins at leicester constabulary. Excellent.

But if you spent £250 or however much they cost on one, would you chuck it in the bin? I bought my friend some (very) blunt samurai swords for his 18th, as he's into the japanese thing big style, and the handing of a sword is gift to commemerate an important event i.e. 18th birthday!

I think knives are fine, its when complete idiots use them to try to make themselves look big. Heck, me and my friends used to try and throw knives into trees, but we'd never threaten anyone with them, or use them as self defence. We just liked adventuring. I managed to get one in the bullseye of my dartboard at home :cool:

But yea, the climate is too dangerous now, or apparently so anyway.
    I think knives are fine, its when complete idiots use them to try to make themselves look big. Heck, me and my friends used to try and throw knives into trees, but we'd never threaten anyone with them, or use them as self defence.

Did you just say you wouldn't use it in self defence?
    I think I've got horns growing out of the ends of them, too. I've pretty much derailed this thread. So to bring it nicely back - speaking of batleths and stuff, one was on the news the other day after being handed in to one of the 'knife' bins at leicester constabulary. Excellent.

But if you spent £250 or however much they cost on one, would you chuck it in the bin? .

That would suck. Especially if it was too big to fit in your carry on. I wonder what people with giant sword collections do if they ever move overseas?
    Did you just say you wouldn't use it in self defence?

Wouldn't think of it. Anyway, I was too young to really think about that, we saw them more as tools - they were only stanley / craft knives anyway. Guys who go around with 8 inch combat knives, for no reason other than to show off or to intimidate other people 'incase' they get attacked are idiots. We didnt flash ours, infact we hid them till we got to our den, when we'd cut branches, tie them together, etc. etc.

I think in a way they were quite fun to play with, but no more so than a drill is. Its just boys and their toys. Wouldn't go around showing off anything for self defence though. I'm definately a flight not fight kinda guy. (well, most of the time)
    So if someone was threatening you to the point where you'd probably be dead if you didn't use it, then you still wouldn't?

How old are you now anyway? Last thing I remember of you is that everyone thought you were a nutter. :p
    So if someone was threatening you to the point where you'd probably be dead if you didn't use it, then you still wouldn't?

How old are you now anyway? Last thing I remember of you is that everyone thought you were a nutter. :p

I'm 18, and no longer such a nutter. Apparently some people thought me and madinthenut were the same person. Hellfire stole the crown as thesite weirdo from me quite nicely for a while, and just recently we've had klintock (who doesn't exist ;)), but he's been banned now for saying nothing exists too much.

If someone was threatening me to the point where I'd be dead? :sour: I have noo idea what I'd do. It wouldn't really cross my mind normally, but if I was about to die it might do. But I was only young then!
    I was only asking because I kinda think anyone would use a knife if someone was very violent and threatening towards them, or their child, or loved one or whatever. And it just seemed odd when you said you wouldn't use it, even in self defence.

Basically I was just being picky. :p
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I used to carry a swiss knife, when I was 14 or so. Not for "protection" or anything, I just liked it. Once I forgot to leave it home when going to France, but they just checked it was this kind of knife and gave it back to me. Now it's in one of my desk drawers.
    Infinite wrote:
    Mayor Hagar
    Hagar the Horrible?
    Hagar_The_Horrible.jpg
    Hagar the Horrible?
    Hagar_The_Horrible.jpg

Oops, I dropped a G. It's Haggar. This fellow:

haggar-piledriver.gif
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ;):p
    i thought about carrying some kind of protection when i moved down to london, because coming from the country it's perceived to be quite dangerous and living in an area like woolwich you get the feeling everyone's carrying something.......in the end i thought it was a stupid idea because if you don't know what you're doing you're the one likely to end up on the floor.......

my stepbrother was a bit of a nutter though, didn't carry a knife in case he got stopped......one night we were out in town and were expecting trouble so he brought his 'special weapon'.......a 3-pin plug on a short lead, now that would do some damage.....lol as it turns out it ended up in my pocket and when he reached for it in the ruckus it wasn't there, he just ended up rolling around on the road with this fat guy pinching his nipples, lol that was hilarious......
    My friend got caught carrying 4 samurai swords on the street. It was for his film though. The police just gave him a little bit of paper and let him carry on. That would've looked good if he'd gone on to butcher a family with them or something.

I think it's pretty stupid to carry knives. I've watched Bruce Lee, and a big stick is always far more effective.
    My other half carries a knife because he uses it for work, usually forgets to leave it at home when we go out as he just keeps it in his pocket. It does have me thinking about what would happen if he got stopped for some reason though. I was thinking that maybe people who use knives for work should have some sort of certificate for it or something. Not sure if it'd be effective, but I know it'd put my mind at rest, especially during random searches outside nightclubs, etc.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I've stopped carrying one for self defence. I have found out... I can use my hands far more effectivley. Only good blade for attacknig is a machete, as its a bit.... obvious.

The time it takes to get a blade out you've already been struck by an attacker. Place a couple of good blows with your hands, and your better off. Besides, I could easily make a gun if I was going to carry a weapon these days.

Only thing the knife is used for now... cutting a cigar to roll a blunt, and the scissors are great for holding a J once it gets right down to the end. (Am I still allowed to carry a swiss army knife thing? It's hardly an attack weapon, if you stab something the knife folds up ffs.)
    best thing you can do is constantly be aware of everything around you and use your head :yes:
    Having been chased by two girls waving knives at me, i don't really know what difference i could have made if i'd been carrying one myself. They'd have still stabbed me to death no doubt.

I wouldn't carry one anyway cos i think when i lose my temper i go a bit psychotic like :chin:, i'd probably jab it into someone without thinking and thats not nice.
    Mizz_pink wrote:
    My other half carries a knife because he uses it for work, usually forgets to leave it at home when we go out as he just keeps it in his pocket.

I always used to carry a knife for work and quite regularly forgot to take it out of my pocket when i went out. I was very worried once when queuing up for the London Eye as i realised it was still in my pocket. Luckily their search wasn't very thorough and i got through.