Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vegetarians (and no fish killers)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Vegetarian 'options' - I hate that too - as a default will usually contain one or more of the following:
    Feta cheese
    Filo pastry
    Pepper
    Mushrooms :yuck:

Oh god. Thats so true. I can't eat peppers, they upset my stomach. That causes all sorts of problems :grump:
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    well i dont eat meat for probably every reason under the sun. But if it came down to it, i would say it was because i dont needto.

because you don't NEED to? that's a bit of an odd reason, imo. we do lots of things in life that we don't need to do.
  • Options
    Oh god. Thats so true. I can't eat peppers, they upset my stomach. That causes all sorts of problems :grump:
    Just the assumption that if you are vegetarian, you must like mushrooms. *shudders*
  • Options
    Since I was about 1, because my mum is and because most of the killing of meat these days is inhumane.

I also find it a generally healthier lifestyle.
  • Options
    Maybe fewer vegetarians go to restaurants, as a proportion. I expect the ones that don't stay at home putting their hair in dreadlocks and thinking up ridiculous names for their organically reared children.

I'd never order veggie food at a restaurant though, even though I often have meals without meat at home. Maybe they should put more effort into it. Come to think of it, I've never seen any mention of quorn or tofu on restaurant menus. It's always a boring pasta dish. :chin:
  • Options
    Maybe they don't use Quorn because it's a brand name?

Not all restaurants are bad for veggies though, I went to Yates' the other day and they had lots of veggie meals that looked really good and they were included in the same deals as the meals that included meat. The vegetarian chilli was really good :yum:
  • Options
    Can't beat a bit of meat though. :yum:

*toddles off to find meat*
  • Options
    Probably not, but since I've never tried, I don't know what I'm missing and I'm quite happy in my ignorance :yes:
  • Options
    i don't eat meat because i dont like the idea of eating dead animal and because of the cruelty involved. i don't know how anybody could enjoy a tesco value chicken to be honest knowing where it came from and what kind of hideous life it has lead. i would get no pleasure out it whatsoever. people say "oh but its only a chicken..." like that somehow gives us the right to play god and choose how these poor animals live and suffer. purely because we want cheaper meat. i know its natural, survival of the fittest, look out for number one, human nature and all that but i'd like to think we'd moved on a bit from that by now. i think a lot of people put the idea of battery farms etc out of their head so they don't feel guilty and its easier that way.

anyway, after that little rant i would like to say i don't have a problem with people eating free range meat, and like somebody pointed out all the cows and chickens would die out if we didn't keep them for food. i just disagree with cruelty to animals so humans can have more more more. its disrespectful and extremely greedy
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    its disrespectful and extremely greedy

No it's not. We've been doing it since the beginning of mankind. I don't care what a chicken went through before it got to my plate. We're number one, they aren't. Tough luck chickens.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    i don't eat meat because i dont like the idea of eating dead animal and because of the cruelty involved. i don't know how anybody could enjoy a tesco value chicken to be honest knowing where it came from and what kind of hideous life it has lead. i would get no pleasure out it whatsoever. people say "oh but its only a chicken..." like that somehow gives us the right to play god and choose how these poor animals live and suffer. purely because we want cheaper meat. i know its natural, survival of the fittest, look out for number one, human nature and all that but i'd like to think we'd moved on a bit from that by now. i think a lot of people put the idea of battery farms etc out of their head so they don't feel guilty and its easier that way.

chances are a tesco value chicken was treated the same as a normal tesco brand chicken.

the cruelty will still happen whether or not you chose to eat it, someone else will just eat the chicken and the same number of chickens will be killed.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    its disrespectful and extremely greedy

Why exactly though? Like Turlough says we've been doing since the beginning of mankind.
    I'd never order veggie food at a restaurant though, even though I often have meals without meat at home

Same here
  • Options
    yes and i'd like to think that i'm a bit more sophisticated than a meat grabbing caveman (woman). being 'nice' isnt really human nature, and it doesnt have much survival value. but its one of the traits that people find most attractive in todays society. we've moved on. we like to think that we have complex emotions like guilt and sadness that we never used to have, only where animal cruelty is concerned they seem to have been forgotten about

a lot of meat eaters admit that the way animals are reared and killed is cruel. they just care about stuffing their face more
  • Options
    I think the way animals are treated is cruel; but I DON'T just care about stuffing my face.
  • Options
    so you don't mind the cruelty?
  • Options
    Kangoo-humans are animals aswell. It's part of the food chain. Nothing is humane in this world.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    so you don't mind the cruelty?

You obviously didn't read my post then...
  • Options
    yeah i know :( i just don't like it personally. i don't like any type of cruelty, especially if i can avoid it
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    You obviously didn't read my post then...

well you said thats its cruel, but don't you still eat non-free range meat? so the cruelty doesn't bother you then
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Kangoo-humans are animals aswell. It's part of the food chain. Nothing is humane in this world.
    Do you think that animals are treated cruely while they are being reared for food consumption?
  • Options
    i'm sure a hungry cow wouldn't think twice about eating us. so why should we think twice about eating it?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    well you said thats its cruel, but don't you still eat non-free range meat? so the cruelty doesn't bother you then

Yes the cruelty does bother me
  • Options
    Cows are herbivores, but a pig wouldn't think twice about eating you, hungry or not!
  • Options
    at the end of the day
    kill it
    prepare it
    and cook it
    yourself...
    otherwise you're just a hypocrite. ~ why pay a middle man to do it for you.

the truth is if people had to do that for themselves (and a lot of people wouldn't be able to manage it or even know where to start) then a lot of people would adopt a vegetarian lifestyle. same as if you saw the inside of slaughter houses or the conditions in factory farms - you would think twice about eating meat.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Yes the cruelty does bother me

so why do you eat non free-range meat if the cruelty bothers you! it obviously doesn't bother you enough to buy free range even if that means you can only afford a little bit less meat!

lucifer...i'm cleverer than a cow. i can think about what i'm doing and try and change things that i believe are wrong.
  • Options
    i'm sure a hungry cow wouldn't think twice about eating us. so why should we think twice about eating it?

:lol:
    the truth is if people had to do that for themselves (and a lot of people wouldn't be able to manage it or even know where to start) then a lot of people would adopt a vegetarian lifestyle. same as if you saw the inside of slaughter houses or the conditions in factory farms - you would think twice about eating meat.

Totally agreed here.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    it obviously doesn't bother you enough to buy free range even if that means you can only afford a little bit less meat!
    free range does NOT mean the same as free from cruelty.
  • Options
    yeah i know :( but its a start...
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    yeah i know :( but its a start...
    is it?
    give a chicken an extra 2 inches sq. to move around, and call it "free-range"
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    so why do you eat non free-range meat if the cruelty bothers you! it obviously doesn't bother you enough to buy free range even if that means you can only afford a little bit less meat!

the animal will still get killed in the same way. why does it matter whether they were allowed to roam around in a few more acres of land before it died?