Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Women win millions in divorce case

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No but she should be if she has contributed to it's creation.

I have concerns about one case, but where the lady in question gave up her own career to care for their children whilst he worked, I think she has earned every penny.

hmm depends really, what if the other half was wealthy before, or got wealthy off his own back....

its always a toughie though, especially in terms of who gets what CD :p
  • Options
    Just a few little points about this little thread.

Staying at home, raising children and looking after the home is "tossing about" is it? If that's the case, fancy coming to clean my house from top to bottom and raising my kitten, I'll give you £20, it's easy money innit?

Marriages are about partnership- what's his is hers, and what's hers is his. I find it really quite sad that many posters on this thread- all male, funnily enough- don't grasp this simple point. You cannot divide the labour up as easily as you seem to be making out- it is not as simple as saying he brings home the bacon, therefore she doesn't contribute anything to the relationship. The children don't raise themselves and the house doesn't maintain itself, and it is very hard to go out and earn money without a stable home life behind you. It certainly makes it easier.

I find it telling that all the people who are against the woman getting a fair settlement are young men who quite clearly have no experience of long-term relationships.

I find it insulting to claim that the person who stays at home isn't working. I've been both the main breadwinner and the stay-at-home partner, and its fair to say that both roles are as important and as difficult as each other.

I find it bewildering that someone is angered that a rich man might have to part with some of his wealth after EIGHTEEN YEARS of marriage, and then seriously suggests that the taxpayers should fund this rich man's divorce settlement for him.

I find it distressing that someone feels that its acceptable to dump your wife of eighteen years for a younger model, and then make her live on £42 a week when you earn that in an hour. I'm not sure how that's fair, given that marriage is about a fair division of labour- both financial and emotional- but perhaps the person suggesting it as a great idea can enlighten me.

Perhaps this poster can also enlighten me as to why raising your husband's children isn't a significant contribution to a marriage? I suspect that the people saying this are the sort of children who sit on the sofa munching crisps while mummy runs herself into the ground clearing their muck away after them, mind.

Basically I actually find it amazing that women have the rights they do when supposedly enlightened people are advocating dumping women on benefits after raising children for two decades simply because its not "fair" for one half of a partnership to give one half of the partnership's assets to the other partner when it all comes crashing down.

I'd love to see how someone can justify it not being "fair" to split the assets 50/50. I'd love to see how someone can justify how letting one person keep it all is "fair".
  • Options
    What about when it is a rich family, the wife has never worked or sought work, she has had nannies anbd au pairs, but then divorces her husband due to extenuating circumstances, does she deserve 50% of everything?

What about if he was rich already and she was not, does she deserve his money from before the marriage?

It has nothing to do with people been against women getting 50% it is about been in favour of having FAIR settlements! and often 50% is not fair.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    What about when it is a rich family, the wife has never worked or sought work, she has had nannies anbd au pairs, but then divorces her husband due to extenuating circumstances, does she deserve 50% of everything?

What about if he was rich already and she was not, does she deserve his money from before the marriage?

It has nothing to do with people been against women getting 50% it is about been in favour of having FAIR settlements! and often 50% is not fair.
    Marriage is about sharing your life with somebody else. That includes money.

I agree with Kermy.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Just a few little points about this little thread.

Staying at home, raising children and looking after the home is "tossing about" is it? If that's the case, fancy coming to clean my house from top to bottom and raising my kitten, I'll give you £20, it's easy money innit?

Marriages are about partnership- what's his is hers, and what's hers is his. I find it really quite sad that many posters on this thread- all male, funnily enough- don't grasp this simple point. You cannot divide the labour up as easily as you seem to be making out- it is not as simple as saying he brings home the bacon, therefore she doesn't contribute anything to the relationship. The children don't raise themselves and the house doesn't maintain itself, and it is very hard to go out and earn money without a stable home life behind you. It certainly makes it easier.

I find it telling that all the people who are against the woman getting a fair settlement are young men who quite clearly have no experience of long-term relationships.

I find it insulting to claim that the person who stays at home isn't working. I've been both the main breadwinner and the stay-at-home partner, and its fair to say that both roles are as important and as difficult as each other.

I find it bewildering that someone is angered that a rich man might have to part with some of his wealth after EIGHTEEN YEARS of marriage, and then seriously suggests that the taxpayers should fund this rich man's divorce settlement for him.

I find it distressing that someone feels that its acceptable to dump your wife of eighteen years for a younger model, and then make her live on £42 a week when you earn that in an hour. I'm not sure how that's fair, given that marriage is about a fair division of labour- both financial and emotional- but perhaps the person suggesting it as a great idea can enlighten me.

Perhaps this poster can also enlighten me as to why raising your husband's children isn't a significant contribution to a marriage? I suspect that the people saying this are the sort of children who sit on the sofa munching crisps while mummy runs herself into the ground clearing their muck away after them, mind.

Basically I actually find it amazing that women have the rights they do when supposedly enlightened people are advocating dumping women on benefits after raising children for two decades simply because its not "fair" for one half of a partnership to give one half of the partnership's assets to the other partner when it all comes crashing down.

I'd love to see how someone can justify it not being "fair" to split the assets 50/50. I'd love to see how someone can justify how letting one person keep it all is "fair".

i havent argued that myself, and i wouldnt say raising a child isnt hard labour, it bloody well is imo from talking to my mates with kids. But not everthing in life is financially rewarded, im not saying she should get nothing, im saying the working ex-hubby/wife should help the person get back on their feet instead of giving them an indefinetly future MASSIVE wage for not being there

i going into work in a area that doesnt pay much cause i enjoy it, but in 15 years time i said 'nah i dont like this i want to be financially compensated for those earnings i could of made' i'd get "it was your choice"

i'm fidning it hard to put my point across here so i hope you get my drift, and no i dont know how you'd do it technically

i think 50/50 of marital assets aquired during the marriage when you divorce, plus extra for raising kids etc but not paying money to the person for rest of your life as ray parlour suffered (and as my uncle suffered in having to pay for his daughter despite not being allowed to see her for years on end, so much so he doesn't see her as his daughter, but as his ex-wives kid, and he found out he'd probably have to pay for her still after)

pre-nups are the way
  • Options
    pre-nups are for idiots as only idiots would marry someone who they already thought they might not stay with...
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Im all for equal rights and all but what have these women done to deserve this money? It wouldnt be the same if the woman had the money would it...its very strange.

I think it's pretty clear that EVERYONE knows the decisions were wrong.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    I think it's pretty clear that EVERYONE knows the decisions were wrong.

er, excuse me, are you trying to speak for me there? Let me remind you that you don't!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    katralla wrote:
    pre-nups are for idiots as only idiots would marry someone who they already thought they might not stay with...

Honestly, yeah, your right!

Vacinations are for idiots. Only idiots would still go somewhere if they thought theym ight get a disease. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Honestly, yeah, your right!

Vacinations are for idiots. Only idiots would still go somewhere if they thought theym ight get a disease. :rolleyes:

A vacation v. a marriage, ah I see- you think of a marriage as 'give it a go and see if it works out' and I see a marriage as 'I know that we should be married', otherwise I'd go for a different option like cohabiting or similar.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    A vacation v. a marriage, ah I see- you think of a marriage as 'give it a go and see if it works out' and I see a marriage as 'I know that we should be married', otherwise I'd go for a different option like cohabiting or similar.
    I think he meant 'vaccination', not vacation.

But I agree with you. If you start a marriage with the assumption that at some point in the future you will split and need to divide the assets, then you shouldn't be getting married. It obviously isn't intended as a commitment.

As for pre-nups, as long as they state that the assets will be divided 50:50 then I don't have a problem. If one party is conned, whilst blinded by love, to sign away their rights to the fruits of the marriage then they are a bad thing.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    er, excuse me, are you trying to speak for me there? Let me remind you that you don't!

My bad.
    I apologize. :)

I think it's clear (to me) that most people I know agree that the decision is wrong (women and men alike).

Yes, if a marriage goes south, if someone has (and i remind you it doesn't have to be a woman) given up their careers to bring up the kids etc, than they should be taken care of (re-embersed or compensated, those are cruel words).

However, £250,000 a year for the rest of her life?
    £5,000,000

Who are these women? Primeministers? CEO's?

One of them has a job, yeah, and she was still awarded money?

Furthermore, in today's world you have to be a realist if you wanna get somewhere and a prenup is nothing more than an insurance policy!!

With the current divorce rate, how can you not go into a marriage with a little reminder in the back of your head...!

Hell...!!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I think he meant 'vaccination', not vacation.

er whoops- no wonder I couldn't work out how he was making a comparison between the two :blush:
  • Options
    Pre-nups aren't legally binding anyway, apparently.

Yeah, as far as I'm aware they aren't in this country. However, if one is agreed anyway it can sometimes, potentially have an effect on court proceedings and any decision - without actually obliging anyone to do anything, pay anything... Of course, I'm sure that's not the general rule, just in exceptional cases etc.

Kermit, I don't usually go in for daft Americanisms but your post deserves a big, fat WORD :thumb:
  • Options
    Probably over hyped, anyway. Like GPs pay etc.

Looking after kids is a fucking big job, though.

Housework isn't, anyway, cleaners are cheap ;)
  • Options
    true, housekeepers are inexpensive to the people who's cases we're using as examples BUT the relationships would have been completely different for both of them had they been a dual 'working' couple, and it is fair to assume that they both prefered the type of relationship they were having as asingle 'wroking' couple... Therefore, it doesn't even matter whether it was a stay-at-home-but-not-really-slogging-away-with-the-kids-rich-socialite woman with a working husband as THAT IS WHAT THEY WANTED. To conclude, they wanted to be married (in the way I take marriage to mean, which is a lifelong partnership of equal value) AND they wanted the dynamic as it was, so it is unfair of one partner to withdraw without upholding their side of the 'bargain'.
  • Options
    Cos no one responded to me before...

£250,000 for 5 years is a heap load, but since he earns a lot I think she's entitled to it for helping his earning power.

HOWEVER £250,000 for life is ridiculous in my eyes. If he lives for another 40 years, he'll still be paying out then! She's set up for life now, she could happily get away without lifting a finger now.

I read somewhere that the average 'housewife' does less housework now than in the 1950s where they did about 12 hours a week or something. And so, let the flaming begin :cool:
  • Options
    I read somewhere that the average 'housewife' does less housework now than in the 1950s where they did about 12 hours a week or something. And so, let the flaming begin :cool:

Seriously, ask your Mum how much time she spends.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Got it from an article somewhere, out of a magasine I think. Anyway, my point was to provoke people as I get annoyed when people say 'women are the saviour of the universe' so to speak. I can understand how much a woman benefits a husband in a marriage, but is the amount of compensation being given in these cases completely disproportionate? I think so.
  • Options
    Nobody's yet come up with a reason why someone is entitled to a percentage of the millions, or billions that the rich partner earned well before the couple ever met. Contribute to that did they?
  • Options
    Anyway, my point was to provoke people as I get annoyed when people say 'women are the saviour of the universe' so to speak.

Leaving aside the fact that I think they are... ;)

No one here has been saying women are the saviours of the universe; only trying to get across the often ignored and disputed point that the unpaid, often unseen work the other partner (still often the woman) does in a caretaking role is as important and as worthy of renumeration as any "job" that involves wage slips and fax machines.

Even I do more than 12 hours of housework a week...
  • Options
    Oh, and for all the moaners about it being "money grabbing women", do you have your pants in a wad about this hm?

No? Whyever not? She's having to sell her home to pay for him, when he contributed nothing to those assets!
    migpilot wrote:
    However, £250,000 a year for the rest of her life?
    £5,000,000

Who are these women? Primeministers? CEO's?

One of them has a job, yeah, and she was still awarded money?

£40,000 a week? £2,000,000 a year?

Who are these men? Brain surgeons? Rocket scientists?

No, they're just be has-been alcoholic footballers.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh, and for all the moaners about it being "money grabbing women", do you have your pants in a wad about this hm?

No? Whyever not? She's having to sell her home to pay for him, when he contributed nothing to those assets!

£40,000 a week? £2,000,000 a year?

Who are these men? Brain surgeons? Rocket scientists?

No, they're just be has-been alcoholic footballers.

Kermit, if it was £250k for 5 years, ok. But I cant see why the courts have basically said he should support her for the rest of her life, i.e. indefinate payments. I mean, sure, she's used to having a nice lifestyle, has grown accustomed to not worrying about money. But he's probably accustomed to having a nice tidy house, having all the nannying looked after (I presume thats what she's done for him?) and yet, the court wont order her to go clean his house every sunday for the rest of her life, so why should he continue to have to pay for every year for the rest of his life?

I agree with your argument that women do do a lot that isn't measured financially, but I dont think its a fair deal really, because she's obviously over the moon she's set up for life and he's feeling shit cos he's got nothing to show for it. If she was looking after the kids, then theres more of an argument there, as thats a burden she's continuing to help him with (it sounds awful calling kids a burden), but she's not as far as I can see.

I just dont think its balanced or fair or proportionate.
  • Options
    Oh please, Parlour is earning £40,000 a week as a basic salary, he earns £2.5m a year, what's 10% of that? He'll spend more than that on fluffy dice for his Porsche.

Given the facts freely available in the press, I don't think Miller was decided accurately. But I'll also bet my bottom dollar that there's more to it than is in the papers.

I don't think there's anything wrong with splitting matrimonial assets 50/50 in many divorce cases, to be quite honest. But each case should be decided on its merits, as it is now, because someone after 10 minutes of marriage shouldn't get half of everything, obviously.

Point is that marriages are about partnership though, and the energy put into marriage can't be and shouldn't be decided using P60s.
  • Options
    Cos no one responded to me before...

£250,000 for 5 years is a heap load, but since he earns a lot I think she's entitled to it for helping his earning power.

HOWEVER £250,000 for life is ridiculous in my eyes. If he lives for another 40 years, he'll still be paying out then! She's set up for life now, she could happily get away without lifting a finger now.

You really don't have a clue about the real world do you! I agree that 250K a year for life is a piss take, but 12 hours a week give me a break?

My girlfriend spends hours and hours each day sorting our house/clothes/food out when I'm working AND bringing up our son which can be a fucking nightmare! If I broke up with her I wouldn't begrudge her a fair slice, as long as she hadn't been a cheating.
  • Options
    from reading all of this, i think 50:50 of marital assets gained over the period of the marriage will do...... and just leave it at that

being a house wife or husband is hard work but it isnt an excuse for what was done in court recently
  • Options
    from reading all of this, i think 50:50 of marital assets gained over the period of the marriage will do...... and just leave it at that
    How could you ever calculate the monetary value of a marriage though? The emotional support of a partner might be worth more than the profits of the business...who knows.

Serious marriages involve a 50:50 division of labour and its spoils. A divorce in a serious marriage should surely mean a 50:50 division of assets.