Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Vegetarians (and no fish killers)

Comments

• Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Being a Carnivore is the way forward ;D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm a post modern vegetarian. I eat meat...ironically.

Curtesy of Bill Bailey
    Infinite wrote:
    "Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me fish killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me huh? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!"
    On a completely seperate note, how the hell did you manage to translate something Sylvester Stallone said?
    briggi wrote:
    They don't "bother me", as such. Certainly pescatarians don't.

I just don't fully understand why they feel the need to label themselves as such... or say they're "a vegetarian, but I eat hotdogs and tuna" as one of my best friends does. I can definitely understand in terms of restaurant dining etc [where we "picky" people have to stick together, heh], as a previous poster said, but I've often found it played as some kind of superiority card over people who choose to eat any given meat at any given time.

But, whatever ;)

ah fair enough, i thought you meant you were against people eating vegetarian stuff + chicken. but you actually meant you're annoyed with them for labelling themselves as vegetarians when they aren't.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    There are some dodgy farming practices yes, but that doesn't mean you have to stop entirely eating meat or that eating meat is 'wrong'.

There's some fucking strange people out there.
    Weekender Offender 
    i ssuppose i'm a vegetarian of sorts ...i only eat meat thats made from vegitation.
    Like this chicken?
    SW0_84910.jpg
    aren't there alot of good nutrients in meat? i agree that the way alot of the animals are kept is wrong. But the way i see it, once its dead then it's done and it doesn't change anything weather or not you eat it. Humans have been eating meat for ages...its not wrong to eat it. It's the way they're kept thats wrong.
    Like this chicken?
    SW0_84910.jpg
    bush chicken! :D
    Ballerina wrote:
    aren't there alot of good nutrients in meat? i agree that the way alot of the animals are kept is wrong. But the way i see it, once its dead then it's done and it doesn't change anything weather or not you eat it. Humans have been eating meat for ages...its not wrong to eat it. It's the way they're kept thats wrong.
    badly kept animals are in the minority in this country.
    ALL ...your lamb is free range and mostly organic.
    MOST ...of your beef is grass reared.
    PORK and CHICKEN ...are the dodgiest.
    There's a fair bit of nutrients in meat, yes, but you don't necessarily need to eat meat in order to get them. To use myself as an example (again) I've never eaten meat and I don't have any health problems (touch wood), and I'm not lacking in any vitamins/nutrients at all.

You say that once it's dead it's done and doesn't change anything whether you eat it or not, that's fair enough but if there wasn't the demand for it then the animals wouldn't be killed.
    You say that once it's dead it's done and doesn't change anything whether you eat it or not, that's fair enough but if there wasn't the demand for it then the animals wouldn't be killed.
    if there was no demand for it ...how long do you think it would be before pigs cattle and chicken were on the endangered list ...seriously?
    I'm a veggie! And I don't think it's wrong in any way shape or form to eat meat. I've been vegetarian for about 5 years now and I chose to because I don't agree with the way in which the animals are treated.

I've always seen it as a kinda selfish thing. My lack of meat eatage isn't gonna change anything, and it isn't gonna stop the animals being treated horribly. BUT I know that I'm not agreeing or encouraging it, and that makes me feel better.

I also feel much healthier now that I'm a vegetarian, although when I first started I lost a lot of weight. Hmm... saying that, I don't think I get enough of certain vitamins and the such like, but that's because of my diet and I can address that. I can be as healthy as a meat eater, I just get my good things from green stuff and fake stuff instead! =)
    (Quote - Rolly)
    I know. I meant that saying "It's dead anyway so I'll eat it" is a circular argument, because they're killed because people want to eat them.

Quite a lot of breeds of pigs for example are already on the endangered list because they are not profitable in terms of meat production.
    IWishIWas wrote:
    I'm a veggie! And I don't think it's wrong in any way shape or form to eat meat. I've been vegetarian for about 5 years now and I chose to because I don't agree with the way in which the animals are treated.

I've always seen it as a kinda selfish thing. My lack of meat eatage isn't gonna change anything, and it isn't gonna stop the animals being treated horribly. BUT I know that I'm not agreeing or encouraging it, and that makes me feel better.

I also feel much healthier now that I'm a vegetarian, although when I first started I lost a lot of weight. Hmm... saying that, I don't think I get enough of certain vitamins and the such like, but that's because of my diet and I can address that. I can be as healthy as a meat eater, I just get my good things from green stuff and fake stuff instead! =)
    cut and paste ...

ALL ...your lamb is free range and mostly organic.
    MOST ...of your beef is grass reared.
    PORK and CHICKEN ...are the dodgiest.

Unless you are Bernard Matthews.
    Unless you are Bernard Matthews.
    yep ...pigs and poultry are the easiest to abuse.
    buying fresh local poultry where i live is good ...all free range and very fresh.
    all industrial food is dodgy.
    I think one of the most disturbing meat products I've come across is turkey ham. There's something odd about that.

Thing is, the majority of people will buy industrial processed meat over local meat from the butcher because it's far cheaper. They won't fork out more for a better product until it becomes cheaper, which is a vicious circle because they are keeping those prices high by buying Bernard Matthews. It's full of water anyway, it sweats something terrible.

ETA - Website
    . It's full of water anyway, it sweats something terrible.

ETA - Website
    i hate that ...you have a ton of meat ...and add a half ton of water to up the wieght ...and it's considered legal!
    the mind boggles.
    There's a fair bit of nutrients in meat, yes, but you don't necessarily need to eat meat in order to get them. To use myself as an example (again) I've never eaten meat and I don't have any health problems (touch wood), and I'm not lacking in any vitamins/nutrients at all.

but there's always going to be a high demand for it - no matter what you do really :( it's not often i eat it - i'm not much of a meat person
    Co-op's own brand processed meats (ham etc) is 30% water. If you shake it it all clumps up and sticks to one end of the box. It leaves little white bits and loads of water everywhere. Source: my misspent gap year.

You know you said that animal cruelty in the meat industry is rare in Britain? I've just been looking at that website a bit more (click on 'Cruelty to Animals') and it lists quite a lot of the stuff that's really common. Most of it is considered legal - burning off the tops of the turkey's beaks for example - is considered common practice. They claim it's to stop the turkeys pecking each other to death, which they do, but if they didn't keep them in such cramped conditions it wouldn't be an issue.
    Co-op's own brand processed meats (ham etc) is 30% water. If you shake it it all clumps up and sticks to one end of the box. It leaves little white bits and loads of water everywhere. Source: my misspent gap year.

You know you said that animal cruelty in the meat industry is rare in Britain? I've just been looking at that website a bit more (click on 'Cruelty to Animals') and it lists quite a lot of the stuff that's really common. Most of it is considered legal - burning off the tops of the turkey's beaks for example - is considered common practice. They claim it's to stop the turkeys pecking each other to death, which they do, but if they didn't keep them in such cramped conditions it wouldn't be an issue.
    like i said ...pigs and poultry is where the abuse mainly is.
    some farmers ...excava=te huge areas of land ...build underground pig factories ...then put the land back on top.
    double decker farming.
    the pigs never see daylight and he still has his land.
    I've considered it, but decided I'm not fussed either way so will just carry on as I am, eating anything and everything.

To the veggies: do you not feel like you miss out on some of life's experiences by not eating meat?
    like i said ...pigs and poultry is where the abuse mainly is.
    Agreed.

The dairy farming industry is highly dubious as well, especially in the US.

Away from the animal cruelty part ... when was it that people started eating meat in the quantities that they do today? Was it after WW2? Meat never used to be so common I don't think.

On another note, how much farm land and countryside would we use in the UK if the meat industry shrank? It would all be built on before anyone could blink. John Prescott would be rubbing his hands with glee. Sod the Milton Keynes Project, lets build EVERYWHERE! mu haha.
    To the veggies: do you not feel like you miss out on some of life's experiences by not eating meat?
    Personally, no. I just find it a hassle when eating in restaurants or at someone else's house. With the latter I usually feel really rude and embarrassed that I'm vegetarian.
    Personally, no. I just find it a hassle when eating in restaurants or at someone else's house. With the latter I usually feel really rude and embarrassed that I'm vegetarian.

I've got a big passion for food you see. Love the stuff. You know the the M&S adverts, I daydream like that (but I dont actually like the M&S adverts, politically :p). I can understand how it might be embarressing. I think I enjoy eating meat too much to give it up. Though to be honest, I do think british people in general have too much in their diet. I like meat free salads a lot, because meat is so full of protein and other stuff that it does get too much.

At least we're not chinese where (previously, I think its more varied now) the whole diet was rice, and meat was 'added on' to give some flavour, but you'd only get a small sliver with a meal.

I agree. When the other halfs parents took us out for dinner we had to get up and go somewhere else because there wasn't anything to eat. I don't feel embarrassed about restaurants, I'm quite open about the fact that if their provision is poor then they lose customers. I hate being a pain when I go to other peoples though.
    I've noticed that you can get really nice gourmet 'meat' dishes but the vegetarian alternative is shit. I think vegetarian food should be nice enough to eat whether you're a veggie or not! :D
    The worst thing about going to someone's (non veggie) house and when you say you're vegetarian they look at you curiously and say "Well, what do you EAT then?". :rolleyes:

Vegetarian 'options' - I hate that too - as a default will usually contain one or more of the following:
    Feta cheese
    Filo pastry
    Pepper
    Mushrooms :yuck:
    I've noticed that you can get really nice gourmet 'meat' dishes but the vegetarian alternative is shit. I think vegetarian food should be nice enough to eat whether you're a veggie or not! :D

Indeed. Going to a restaurant and being told that the vegetarian option is pasta with tomato and basil sauce just doesn't cut it for me. If I wanted that, I'd make it at home. If I go out to eat, I usually go because I want something nice I can't make at home, not to be charged £6 for pasta and dolmio. After a while you get to know the good places to go though.