Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

D'ya reckon this could work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, we've got the school 'prom' on, which costs £37.50 for a ticket, and all that is, is a seat in a restaurant. :yeees: But anyway, turns out only year 13s are allowed i.e. no year 12s, but I want to bring a year 12 guest. Having spoken to the organisers, they want to let my guest come, but can't because then the 'lads' in year 12 will want to come to, and will most likely only go for a pissup. Although they did say because my guest was nice, that there may be a chance to let her in after the formal meal, off the record so to speak, because everyone will be dancing / drinking and wont notice.

But my plan is as follows: speaking to an aquaintence in year 13 who is not going, they've agreed to buy a ticket, and then I'll take my guest and say their name is the persons whos not going. I doubt they'll ask for ID because it's a private party, there's just going to be a list of names. Bouncers are on the door, not organisers, so hopefully it should all go well. Will also arrange a backup plan of a meal at a fancy restaurant if we're turned away, although can you go to a restaurant in prom attire?

Hiccups I'm worried about:
- someone getting really arsey when they see my guest there, although nobody has a grudge someone might be bitter because they couldn't bring theirs
- if the bouncers have a list which I suspect they might, what if the list includes photos? I doubt this will be the case.. but you know
- organisers / teachers figuring it out and trying to kick us out
- my guest losing her nerve
- having an organiser i.e. who knows everyone, on the door

I think otherwise it should be pretty straightforward. I've begged and pleaded and could tell by the look in the organisers eyes that they want to allow her to come but can't set a precedent, so following this logic, so long as they're giving the appearance of not knowing, then they shouldn't kick up a fuss on the day.

Hopefully.

Any thoughts on the success of my plan? Anyone been to a prom at a hotel function room before?

Thanks for any help, I hope you can appreciate how anxious I am about this!

Comments

• Options
    Hiccups I'm worried about:
    - someone getting really arsey when they see my guest there, although nobody has a grudge someone might be bitter because they couldn't bring theirs [/QUOTE]

At our prom you were allowed to bring a guest from the year below... but anyways i see no reason ahy your plan wont work...but i personally think that the organisers should make a policy on it and make everyone stick to it...eitehr everyone who wants to bring a guest from the year below can..or you all can't.

I doubt they will have photos on the list of who bought tickets, if they even tick you off...at ours they made a big fuss about it, but if you had a ticket you got in
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    We were charged about the same...for a 3 course meal, free drink, dj and hiring of a dancing type room.......food was rubbish and the place was crappy :( so tis not that expensive
  • Options
    H-face wrote:
    We were charged about the same...for a 3 course meal, free drink, dj and hiring of a dancing type room.......food was rubbish and the place was crappy :( so tis not that expensive

That's about it. But its a bit silly, because we've got a HUGE function room for 400+ people or something, that was apparently £1200 for the evening, and yet there's a maximum of 150 students in year 13, probably not even that. Most of us fitted in a room today slightly bigger than a normal classroom, about 70 of us I reckon. With plenty of space to spare, too. (mind, there weren't enough seats). But the rules are really strict because in years before it used to be really leniant but then drunken people who didnt know anyone would come in after they'd been pubbing / clubbing and start loads of fights, so they made it strict that only school people could come, and this year 12 restriction is mainly to prevent a group of boys in year 12 coming because they'd mess it up (yea, they are that bad :p).

Will have a room reserved anyway, so could always go up to our room and order room service. Going to be getting seriously pricey mind you! Getting there is £30 per head!!

I would happily boycott but all my friends are going and it will be the last 'formal' thing we do together, otherwise it might just be 2 or 3 of them here and there.
  • Options
    well, the one i had years ago, half of us forgot our tickets and we were allowed in anyway... ours was just a buffet though.

i dont really know if id risk it if i were you. especially if there are going to be teachers there- surely theyll know that your guest is in year 12? it's all very well saying the organisers want to allow her to come, but surely if they let you bring a younder guest, they should let anyone. and if other people there realise that you've been allowed and they havent, i doubt theyll be too impressed.
  • Options
    Your prom sounds like complete bullshit. Every other Prom I've ever heard about let the person invite any guest they wanted, ie. their date, regardless of what year they were in or what other school etc they went to.

I doubt they'd care, if they do then it's just pathetic. The idea is that the prom is for the leavers and their guests, surely!
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    well, the one i had years ago, half of us forgot our tickets and we were allowed in anyway... ours was just a buffet though.

i dont really know if id risk it if i were you. especially if there are going to be teachers there- surely theyll know that your guest is in year 12? it's all very well saying the organisers want to allow her to come, but surely if they let you bring a younder guest, they should let anyone. and if other people there realise that you've been allowed and they havent, i doubt theyll be too impressed.

Well one of the organisers I spoke to was one of the most anal teachers in the school :p. He said he wanted to but his hands were tied because it would set a precedent for everyone to start bringing year 12s. I suspect that the majority of the teachers a) wont realise she's not supposed to be there and b) wont care. And even if they do, they shouldn't catch us out straight away :razz: so we can have some dinner and go to bed!
  • Options
    Paid £26 for mine. Food was gorgeous, place was really nice, sound system blew (literally!) so most people left early. But was still a good night.

We had a no non-yr13 policy too. I think that's the best way TBH, because it's not fair to let someone bring a yr12, but then not let someone else bring their boyfriend from out of school. I was gutted my boyfriend couldn't come, he did spend 6 months in the 6th form, but I think it worked out better anyway, and I can see why they had that rule.
  • Options
    a) wont realise she's not supposed to be there and b) wont care. And even if they do, they shouldn't catch us out straight away :razz: so we can have some dinner and go to bed!

Thats a good way of thinking. I doubt people will be looking out especially to chuck unwanted guests out, especailly if they are known to the school. Everyone is in a good mood and too busy to worry about it at this sort of thing. You should be fine