Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do new students need to bring to uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi,

I'm going to uni this september and just wondered what do i need to bring with me? i know clothes ect and all that, but is there anything else i should bring i was thinking of a mini fridge :) but is it really necessary?

Thankyou :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    charli wrote:
    hi,

I'm going to uni this september and just wondered what do i need to bring with me? i know clothes ect and all that, but is there anything else i should bring i was thinking of a mini fridge :) but is it really necessary?

Thankyou :)

Depends on whether or not you're going into halls, and what your accommodation offers. Some will have pantries with kettles and microwaves etc. Others won't. Some unis won't let you have extra applicances in your room, but I highly recommend your own mini fridge. It will deffo come in handy, because students steal stuff from shared fridges. Bastards.
  • Options
    In my halls we get a mini-fridge already in our room so there is no need to bring one.

I would wait until it is confirmed where you will be living before spending any money on that type of thing.

Some people bring their A-level notes, if you are doing a related degree course. Personally I bought a couple of A-level revision guides with me just for reference. If you have a dictionary bring it or other reference books if you already have some. But otherwise wait and see what you actually need.

You might find you need a computer but personally I waited until I was at uni and then after a couple of months of struggling without one I got one.

Bed linen and towels are usually needed.
  • Options
    Search around on the internet... thats what i did and there are lots of sites out there offering tips for students starting Uni/moving out for the first time.. including lists of what to bring or not.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies.

Hopefully but its not confermed yet, i've got a place at the halls en-suite,
    theres a kitchen which has the basics like microwave fridge and oven.

I want it to feel like home though mabye pictures if were allowed? :)
  • Options
    you can cover your room with posters as much as you like I would have thought :)

there's a good article on thesite that lists stuff to take...but I can't find it :p
    here's a good list though : http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University

although you by no means have to take everything on that list! :thumb:

to be honest, in halls, essentials are, PC/laptop, cooking stuff - pots & pans etc
  • Options
    Replicant, you're not talking about this are you?
  • Options
    Student Checklist

Bin bags are also a good plan.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    a plug board is very useful :p
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    a plug board is very useful :p
    :yes: that's true.
  • Options
    where ya going? loads of cushions and pillows and comfy stuff:D my bed here is now almost as good as my home one.
  • Options
    condoms
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Replicant, you're not talking about this are you?

I may well have been :lol: although I could have sworn there was an article on thesite.org main site thing about it :chin:
  • Options
    If you do decide on taking a mini-fridge just make sure you don't buy a cheap piece of crap that hums when it's on (you'll never sleep) and is not allowed to be left on for more than 12 hours at a time.
  • Options
    Bringing my mini fridge was the best thing I could have done. It's convenient and has saved a lot of my stuff being stolen (sometimes the kitchen fridge is a big free-for-all, bastards).
  • Options
    Neil wrote:
    Bringing my mini fridge was the best thing I could have done. It's convenient and has saved a lot of my stuff being stolen (sometimes the kitchen fridge is a big free-for-all, bastards).

yeah i have lost many'a pizza!

were not allowed to have fridges in our rooms, even if we bring them (something to do with electricity).
  • Options
    I'm going to Newport to study Graphics.

Thanks 4 every1s replies
  • Options
  • Options
    a large throw to cover the stuff your not supposed to have in your room (like the mini frdge) once its inspection time.

as many pants as you can take to put off laundry day.

and dont put up anything using blue tak. just dont.
  • Options
    Some useful info here! Cheers.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    condoms

You don't need to take any! They give them out quite literally like sweets outside the union in freshers week.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    You don't need to take any! They give them out quite literally like sweets outside the union in freshers week.
    I've got about 50 from the Fresher's fair - everywhere you go they throw them at you. There were some packaged like lollies, I sent them to my friend and she was quite disappointed that they weren't edible.
  • Options
    I've got about 50 from the Fresher's fair - everywhere you go they throw them at you. There were some packaged like lollies, I sent them to my friend and she was quite disappointed that they weren't edible.

Ha ha! That's awesome!
    We got some in pretty boxes that advertised other clubs.

It was like: Here! While you're waiting in the que, have sex! Why else did you come to uni?
  • Options
    Ironic really. I've still got all of them!
  • Options
    ahh... people... somebody should have mentioned a computer / mac / laptop.
    - an absolute essentail and will save you queing for ages, waiting for a computer to become free close to the essay deadlines.
  • Options
    I recommend taking a printer.
  • Options

Yes. And also mucho paper for it. Printers are bastards, whichever make you get.
  • Options
    ... and that. yes. :)
  • Options
    Guys, would it be a good idea to bring a bottle of bubbly or tequilla :yum: or somthing to break the ice with my flatmates, or is it a bad idea?
  • Options
    Guys, would it be a good idea to bring a bottle of bubbly or tequilla :yum: or somthing to break the ice with my flatmates, or is it a bad idea?
    i'm sure you'll break the ice naturally. first thing most people do is get down the union bar - so you don't need to take it with you, as i'm sure you'll be the same. :)