Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Maths GCSE exam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is the only GCSE exam I'm dreading. I feel like I don't know anything. I'm going the higher tier, and I need at least 52% to pass. But in the practise papers in class, I've only managed no where near that. I really need to get a C. HELP!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ok, well the first question is that if you are genuinly nowhere near then why are you higher tier?

However, for genuine helpful suggestions make use of your resources, bitesize is good, and your teachers are there for a reason, get you and a couple of mates (ones you can trust to WORK) sit down with a paper and maybe the numerical solutions and go through it together.

To be honest there's not a lot of help other than that you could get here.

In fact, just to emphasise, I've just been playing around on bitesize, it does look really helpful.
    I've been entered for Higher because I'm in top set.
    __tink wrote:
    I've been entered for Higher because I'm in top set.

writethe formulars on the case of ur calculator and smuggle that into the exam, that will be very helpful. (n.b. only a suggestion)

And just do plenty of practice papers
    shut up olaola.

Seriously tink, go try out bitesize. And if you want you can always post problems here and I'll work through them for you with explainations.
    One of the main things I'm stuck on is Trigonometry. I know how to work out the Hypotenuse, Opposite and Adjacent, but after that I'm stuck.
    __tink wrote:
    One of the main things I'm stuck on is Trigonometry. I know how to work out the Hypotenuse, Opposite and Adjacent, but after that I'm stuck.

Trigonometery always looks a lot more complecated than it is. Practice the cosine rule, and area of a triangle, all you have to do is put numbers in a formular
    I understand it now
    i was entered for higher tier maths, and in the run up to the exams, i was getting Ds, Es and Fs (which of course are automatic fails for higher tier).

i just had a go at loads of past papers and had my teacher look through them and show me where i was going wrong.

bbc bitesize is useful as well.

most of all, just don't panic. i found that panicing just made things worse.

i came out with an A in the end, so it must have worked.

anyway, good luck :thumb:
    __tink wrote:
    I understand it now

that was quick !!

good luck :D:D :thumb:
    you only really need to do higher if you're wanting an A-A*...intermediate goes up to a B so you'd be better off doing that tier - it's the one i'm doing
    I'm totally dreading maths too...it's too much to remember.
    It's too late to change tiers now.
    Ballerina wrote:
    you only really need to do higher if you're wanting an A-A*...intermediate goes up to a B so you'd be better off doing that tier - it's the one i'm doing
    I'm totally dreading maths too...it's too much to remember.

If you actually know something it should come to you naturally in the exam.
    the best thing to do is practice as much as you can. work out which topics it is that you find most difficult and practice questions which are to do with them. dont just sit and read through your notes or the books that tell you how to do it, try it out for yourself. and if theres anything you dont understand, ask your teacher or your mates to explain it and go through it with you slowly.
    Kat_B wrote:
    the best thing to do is practice as much as you can. work out which topics it is that you find most difficult and practice questions which are to do with them. dont just sit and read through your notes or the books that tell you how to do it, try it out for yourself. and if theres anything you dont understand, ask your teacher or your mates to explain it and go through it with you slowly.

This is exactly what I did and I got a C.
    Sofie wrote:
    If you actually know something it should come to you naturally in the exam.
    i don't find that with maths...i'll remember that i can do it but i won't remember how cause i just feel overwhelmed
    it doesnt help that my teacher just tells us that we're not good enough to 'pass' (by that he means get a C which is balls) all the time either, so i don't feel confident
    Ballerina wrote:
    i don't find that with maths...i'll remember that i can do it but i won't remember how cause i just feel overwhelmed
    it doesnt help that my teacher just tells us that we're not good enough to 'pass' (by that he means get a C which is balls) all the time either, so i don't feel confident

Depending on what you're stuck on, I could probably help you if you want me to?

I see what you mean about not being able to remember stuff. I have this problem as well.
    __tink wrote:
    You remember what goes with what function?

Ok, So remember the following.
    Sex On Hard Concrete Always Hurts The Old Arse
    Sin - Opposite/Hypoteneuse Cos - Adjacent/Hypoteneuse Tan - Opposite/Adjacent.
    soh cah toa?

is that not easier?
    i retook my maths gcse last year and i memorized all that sohcahtoa stuff as well but tbh it wasnt even on the test and what questions were had all the forumlae listed anyway
    i've done mine 4 times. :(
    dont worry about it, in my school the 15yr olds are donig their maths gcse now ( the ad-maths ones anyway ) and my ex-gf said it was easy, an A is easy to acheive.
    softworld wrote:
    dont worry about it, in my school the 15yr olds are donig their maths gcse now ( the ad-maths ones anyway ) and my ex-gf said it was easy, an A is easy to acheive.

Yeah, only if you're intelligent. :rolleyes:
    I got 4 A's 4 b's 1 C and 1 D in my g.c.s.e's and you guessed right the D was in Maths, I am re-sitting it on Monday and should pass but I am shit at it just not good at algerbra.
    it annoys me that C seems to be the 'pass' boundary, and if you have anything below that then its not worth having (so we've been led to believe) and D/E is actually average for most subjects anyway.
    softworld wrote:

Wasn't when i took it. Like 4 years ago.

I did intermediate an it was fuckin difficult. Got a D. Was so proud :D
    Ballerina wrote:
    D/E is actually average for most subjects anyway.

this isn't a good thing, it would of course be much better if the average was higher
    Replicant wrote:
    this isn't a good thing, it would of course be much better if the average was higher
    alot of people think its still C though. It's above average now. Employers and stuff need to update a bit i think - cause it's all about C's, i'm a very able student in all areas. Yet i'm struggling for a C in maths. And its one of the most important ones.
    Ballerina wrote:
    alot of people think its still C though. It's above average now. Employers and stuff need to update a bit i think - cause it's all about C's, i'm a very able student in all areas. Yet i'm struggling for a C in maths. And its one of the most important ones.

I have 5 C's (rest are lower grades), and that doesn't include Maths or Science. Most employers don't really care about you having exactly 5 or if they are certain subjects. A lot of jobs say a-c in maths or english but i've never had a problem getting a job. They just have a broad look to see if your half intelligent or not.

Now with A Levels slightly different, cos like these are likely to matter with employers (hardly any though)

It's so funny how schools make out GCSEs are like the most important thing ever. They're not! Only time they really count is if your going on to further education.
    LacyMay wrote:
    I have 5 C's (rest are lower grades), and that doesn't include Maths or Science. Most employers don't really care about you having exactly 5 or if they are certain subjects. A lot of jobs say a-c in maths or english but i've never had a problem getting a job. They just have a broad look to see if your half intelligent or not.

Now with A Levels slightly different, cos like these are likely to matter with employers (hardly any though)

It's so funny how schools make out GCSEs are like the most important thing ever. They're not! Only time they really count is if your going on to further education.
    well the only reason i want a C in maths (won't have a problem with english hopefully) is cause after A levels, unis usually want at least C's in maths and english gcse. And i want to go to uni after a levels.
    Ballerina wrote:
    well the only reason i want a C in maths (won't have a problem with english hopefully) is cause after A levels, unis usually want at least C's in maths and english gcse. And i want to go to uni after a levels.

Well i never went to uni so not sure how much consideration they give GCSEs. Really i think the gist of it all is they are important because you need them for A levels, which in turn you need for uni.

For me and anyone else that didn't bother with all that, they don't really mean fuck all.