Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vegetarians (and no fish killers)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After the foody threads it got me thinking.... to all you vegetarians out there - what was your reason for being vegetarian? And how long have you been veggie? And NO fish eaters thankyou. :impissed:

Comments

• Options
    All my life, because my whole family is.
  • Options
    I'm an omnivore because I like eating meat. :yum:

I also like fish and vegetables.
  • Options
    My sister is, I dont know why. She decided to do that at like 15 I think. (so 2 years maybe?)
  • Options
    why would some veggies eat fish though? surely that's not being a proper vegetarian. i know someone who just won't eat red meat. wtf?
  • Options
    I know! And when i go to dinner with people i tell them oh im a vegetarian, and they are just like, ok i will make you fish then :grump:
  • Options
    why would some veggies eat fish though? surely that's not being a proper vegetarian. i know someone who just won't eat red meat. wtf?

I do that, but thats cuz I hate the taste of red meat, I dont mind white meat. Does this make me racist.

I don't know how anybody can eat fish in general.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

I don't know how anyone can't eat meat, tbh! But each to their own.

I don't think many people are vegetarians because they dislike the taste of meat, I think it's more umm..moral/ethical reasons. Or is it?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    But you're miles from the coast.

Fresh fish is delicious.
  • Options
    I'm intrigued as to why fish eaters have been singled out as killers....most of the meat I eat is pretty damn dead. Unless there's some voodoo shit going on.....

They should do a carnivore version of Rambo!

"Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! And I come back to the world and I see all those maggots at the airport, protesting me, spitting. Calling me fish killer and all kinds of vile crap! Who are they to protest me huh? Who are they? Unless they've been me and been there and know what the hell they're yelling about!"
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But you're miles from the coast.

Fresh fish is delicious.
    ]

Is is :yum:
  • Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 16 years (since I was 6). It was mostly the realisation that meat is animal flesh that turned me veggie. I find meat kind of gross anyway. I don't miss it at all.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I've been a vegetarian for 16 years (since I was 6). It was mostly the realisation that meat is animal flesh that turned me veggie. I find meat kind of gross anyway. I don't miss it at all.

what about what your shoes/sofa etc are made of?
  • Options
    There'd be fewer animals in the world if we didn't farm them for food.
  • Options
    what about what your shoes/sofa etc are made of?
    Well I don't have a sofa but I do wear leather shoes. It isn't that I particularly like animals, I just don't want flesh in my mouth (well not in the meat sense at least). I don't eat my shoes :p
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Well I don't have a sofa but I do wear leather shoes. It isn't that I particularly like animals, I just don't want flesh in my mouth (well not in the meat sense at least). I don't eat my shoes :p

you might have tried to when you were younger. :p

so your reasoning behind being a veggie isn't down to the animal cruelty thing?
  • Options
    so your reasoning behind being a veggie isn't down to the animal cruelty thing?
    No. More the gross factor of eating flesh. Like if the animal had just died in a freak accident and was perfectly good from the food point of view it still would not appeal to me as it is a dead thing. Not sure if I explained that well, I hope it makes sense.

Tbh, I kind of have issues with drinking milk too as it is the bodily fliud of a cow and it comes out their nipples and I have similar gross issues with eggs but I still eat eggs/ drink milk.... I don't want to think about it too much as it would probably turn me vegan.
  • Options
    I think veggies are weirdos.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    No. More the gross factor of eating flesh. Like if the animal had just died in a freak accident and was perfectly good from the food point of view it still would not appeal to me as it is a dead thing. Not sure if I explained that well, I hope it makes sense.

Tbh, I kind of have issues with drinking milk too as it is the bodily fliud of a cow and it comes out their nipples and I have similar gross issues with eggs but I still eat eggs/ drink milk.... I don't want to think about it too much as it would probably turn me vegan.

that's fair enough.

i don't like milk but that's because it tastes yucky. :yuck:
  • Options
    thats because 70 percent of the worlds population are lactose intolerant.

I would be a vegan if i could

And i make a point of never buying leather shoes so there :p
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I think veggies are weirdos.

Why?

I turned veggie because after about 3 months of veggie cooking for the other half and myself, it suddenly got a bit weird when I try to eat meat again. My shoes aren't leather, my sofa is some vile fabric. Leather sofas are repulsive anyway IMO, veggie or not.
  • Options

because fish are even more stupid than chickens?

because of the human condition it's easier to personify a chicken/legged animal than a fish? :p)
  • Options
    People do tend to rank their meat by the animals it comes from. Most meat eaters would be horrified by the idea of eating dog. I guess there is a natural pecking order. Fish are very low down. Prawns are lower still.
  • Options
    Why?

I don't mind people who eat vegetables because they don't like the taste of meat, it's the weirdos on their moral crusade against cruelty against animals I have a problem with. Ego trip or what?
  • Options
    well i dont eat meat for probably every reason under the sun. But if it came down to it, i would say it was because i dont needto. I have absolutely no problem with people who would have malnutrition or not enough other food sources to survive on. I just dont see the need to kill animals when i can happily surive on vegetables.

And yes if me and a cow were on a desert island and if i didnt eat the cow we would both die, and if i ate the cow i would survive, then i would eat the cow.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I don't mind people who eat vegetables because they don't like the taste of meat, it's the weirdos on their moral crusade against cruelty against animals I have a problem with. Ego trip or what?

Ok, fair enough. I don't mind peoples reasons, as long as they dont press it onto me. As I said, it got a bit weird trying to eat meat, which I guess is a bit like not liking the taste, but I've met people who try and make me feel bad because I'm not a hardcore animal rights person.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    so you don't mind animal cruelty?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    so you don't mind animal cruelty?

Define cruelty?

If you mean killing animals for food, then no I'm not against it.

If you mean putting a hamster in a box and throwing a firework inside, then yes I'm very much against it.
  • Options
    Hehe that might be funny.

Sorry :(
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Define cruelty?

If you mean killing animals for food, then no I'm not against it.

If you mean putting a hamster in a box and throwing a firework inside, then yes I'm very much against it.
    its usually how they're kept and treated before they're killed that qualifies as animal cruelty
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    its usually how they're kept and treated before they're killed that qualifies as animal cruelty

Who cares? It's the food chain. We're at the top, they aren't. Shit happens.