Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Brushing up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So I will be starting school this fall. I will only be taking about 2 classes a semster. I already have all of my generals done. (English, math, science...) Meaning, from now until I graduate the only classes I *need* to take are ones that are required to finish my degree. (I.e. various law and politic courses) and the rest are electives. However essays, writing and all that fun stuff are something that cannot be avoided in any class, and as many of you may have noticed, I'm not exactly a genius in the english/grammar/anything related department. I believe that after a few papers and getting critiqued on them I could easily get back to where I used to be.

But I was wondering, since I am only taking 4 classes a year, do I dare waste one (would it be a waste) and taking a basic english class my first semester?

Same thing goes for math. I'm not very good, but at the same time I don't need calculus and what not to do what I am. But math is always a good skill to have. English I will need, math... I dont know, what would you think about taking a basic math class? Just to get unrusty.

Opinions?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    my_name wrote:
    So I will be starting school this fall. I will only be taking about 2 classes a semster. I already have all of my generals done. (English, math, science...) Meaning, from now until I graduate the only classes I *need* to take are ones that are required to finish my degree. (I.e. various law and politic courses) and the rest are electives. However essays, writing and all that fun stuff are something that cannot be avoided in any class, and as many of you may have noticed, I'm not exactly a genius in the english/grammar/anything related department. I believe that after a few papers and getting critiqued on them I could easily get back to where I used to be.

But I was wondering, since I am only taking 4 classes a year, do I dare waste one (would it be a waste) and taking a basic english class my first semester?

Same thing goes for math. I'm not very good, but at the same time I don't need calculus and what not to do what I am. But math is always a good skill to have. English I will need, math... I dont know, what would you think about taking a basic math class? Just to get unrusty.

Opinions?

I am appaulling at maths, so i wouldnt say you should bother...I have not needed it once (but i suppose i dont know your syllabus, but i assume it is similar to mine). English however, i would recommend, if you can squeeze it in, but if there is something else you think you would rather do then do that.
    Do you not have any sort of essay writing classes you could attend? we had them now and again at uni, and if you wanted to go you could.
    The only thing is, is that a legal essay is different to an ordinary essay, so maybe if you ask you will be your tutor to point you in the right area.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
    Oh thats a really good idea. Look into a legal essay writing class. Surley that will give me pointers too. I've not gotten the giant book with all possible classes to take yet so I cannot look into it yet, but I will. Thank you so much :)
    Your English seems fine to me so I personally wouldn't bother if I was you. Surely if you need a few pointers about how to write essay questions, you could always ask your tutor?
    \
    What are you majoring in, Law?

:yes: with a poli sci minor. Not sure what kind of law yet though... possibly contract. :p Your right though, math is useless, I'm not going to need to know how to find the tangent angle of a irrigular triangle or something while I'm at the grocery store. That probably doesn't even make sense. I would much rather take ellective classes that are relevant or interesting to me, or easy, like bowling.
    \
    Definitely. Take stuff you're interested in or you won't even do well in it as you'll have no motivation - I speak from experience here.

I'm sure there'll be lots of interesting sounding electives that complement law and pol sci really well, such as sociology, philosophy, criminology, etc. Imo the possibility of studying stuff like that is far too exciting to pass up. I took a criminology elective in my undergrad degree and loved it, my degree was politics and it was a bit of light relief that at the same time complemented it nicely.

Thats a great idea, thanks! :thumb: I love all of those kinds of things, the fun ologys. Your right, I'm sure theres plenty of other interesting classes to fill up with!