Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Playing games wihtout the CD: Part 2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I've created an image file of the CD using Nero 7. I've then loaded it to a virtual CD drive using ImageDrive in the same program. I've installed my game onto the computer using this image file instead of the CD. And it still asks for the CD every time I want to play the damn thing. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    might be some form of hard coding requiring the game to be played from the D drive which is the drive a lot of people have as a cd drive

now i know for techy minded people that sounds stupid, but i have come accross it before
  • Options
    Try googling for

<Insert Game Name Here> NOCD crack
  • Options
    There's nothing even close. It's one of those BBC kids games. Well we can't use it unless we can use it without the CD anyway, so I guess we'll just have to get our money back. But then I guess that's what you get for putting a load of anti-piracy bullshit on your games.
  • Options
    Have you tried daemon tools? This can emulate copy protection :yes:
  • Options
    I dont know anything really, but when I play games that require a cd that I dont have, when I've got the "virtual cd" or whatever you want to call it, I use a program called alcohol 120 and it "loads" the cd in or whatever, however it wants to work.
  • Options
    alcahol 120 is amazing
  • Options
    Yeah, that's what Nero 7 is supposed to do, but it doesn't seem to be working. Ive got another free virtual CD thingy, and neither of them seem to work.
  • Options
    Download Protection ID and scan the files in the game install directory. This should be able to tell you what copy protection the game has.

The best programs for emulating the disc protection methods are Alcohol 120% (you can get a free trial) and DaemonTools. Note that in order for this to work properly, one of these programs should be used to rip the disc image onto your computer, as they can detect the copy protection and include it in the image file.

Game copy world has lots of no-CD cracks, try looking there too.
  • Options
    Some older games do not have the copy protection, but do have .INI files that are simply hard coded with a drive letter for the cd drive. Somtimes you need to change them to point to the imaged drive letter instead.
  • Options
    Daemon tools is probably the best option. If it still doesn't work you can use sdhider in conjunction with it and you can play most games.