Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Someone asked my girl out...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so last christmas eve I had a tiff with my girl because I was trying to call her all night, she didn't respond, and when I finally got hold of her at some ungodly hour, it turned out she had been at the pub with a male friend who had texted her and asked to meet up with her. She was quite shifty about it and I was pretty sure something funny had happened, and I wanted to know why she had spent christmas even ignoring my calls, in the pub with some guy I don't know (and it wasn't a close personal friend, just someone she sort of knew from playing in a band)......... Anyway, I was pretty put out about it, particularly as I had a funny feeling something funny had happened and she wasn't telling me. Last night, I finally found out. Turns out this guy hit on her and asked if he could kiss her. She didn't oblige, but nonetheless I am pissed off that she didn't tell me what had happened. At the time she even told me I was out of order for being annoyed that she'd spent the evening with him and that nothing funny had happened.

I feel really cross now I know the truth; particularly because, a couple of weeks ago, we bumped into this guy when we were together and she dragged me over with her so she could talk to him. Firstly I'm cross that she actually wanted to speak to the guy (he knew fine well she had a boyfriend when he tried it on) and secondly I'm cross that I was standing there whilst she spoke to this guy, and he probably thinks I'm a wimp because I didn't challenge him about it - the point is, I didn't know!

How would you feel in this situation? I just don't like the way she has been so clandestine about it and then spoken to the guy, out of choice, in front of me, knowing that something wrong had been said between them and that I didn't know about it. Grr. Not happy. I *knew* something was up, 6th sense....... and it has taken me 5 months to find out. In light of the above, I feel like I've been taken for a bit of a prat! :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's understandable that you're annoyed, but I can also see why she didn't tell you. After all, if nothing happened, then telling you would only cause conflict and suspicion. As for speaking to him in front of you, maybe she was trying to show that she didn't see him as anything more than a friend. Maybe she was even trying to emphasise to him that she had a boyfriend, "so don't get any ideas".
    What's this guy like?

If you see him as a threat, then I think you need serious talks with your g/f. Not in a confrontational sense, but this shit is obviously gonna hurt you and she's showing no respect for you as her boyfriend. Not even so much the time she went off without telling you, but dragging you over because she wanted to talk to the guy?

I've been there before, but then she wanted to go off with him because he was loaded and had a car and stuff. T'is a horrible feeling, feeling inadequate like that. It sort of started from the pretty much exactly the same situation yours did, but by tiptoeing around my feelings the shit hit the fan big style.

I'd personally have it out with her, don't back down and just tell her exactly how you feel.
    And maybe because it happened 5 months ago you should just let it go and get on with enjoying yourself? The main thing is she didn't do anything with him so does that not point out that she gives a shit about you?
    You'd had a row, if i was her i'd ignore the phone as well, probably out of pure mardiness to be fair (we're quite good at having the huff). It's not her fault the bloke came on to her and by the sounds of it she's a big enough girl to take care of the problem. Yes you'll feel a prat as it's your male ego kicking in but if you keep going on the way you are it'll probably end up in an almighty ding dong and wreck everything. Just try saying to her that if it ever happens again you would like to know and that you feel you have a right to know about it.

p.s there's always going to be tosser that try it on with other halves especially if you've had a row and they see their chance.

I had someone come on to me when i had first started seeing my bloke but i haven't told my bloke purely because i dealt with the situation myself and everything is now sorted. If i'd told my bloke then he would have caused an arguement, steamed in tried to fight and got all of our friends fighting. This lad didn't know i was with someone but has kept his distance since i told him to leave it alone. End of. Sometimes ladies can sort out problems on their own.
    Carolina wrote:
    Sometimes ladies can sort out problems on their own.
    Are you sure you don't need someone to beat anyone up in a "my dad can beat your dad up" kind of way?
    Carolina wrote:
    And maybe because it happened 5 months ago you should just let it go and get on with enjoying yourself? The main thing is she didn't do anything with him so does that not point out that she gives a shit about you?
    You'd had a row, if i was her i'd ignore the phone as well, probably out of pure mardiness to be fair (we're quite good at having the huff). .

Appreciate your input *but* we hadn't had a row; we had a row because of what happened (or rather what I suspected might have happened) after the event. We hadn't fallen out and she wasn't in a huff when she went out so had no reason to ignore me.........

I don't see him as a threat, I'm just pissed off that she introduced me to him a couple of weeks ago (he hadn't even seen us, she made a bee line for him!)and, being completely oblivious to what had happened at that point, I was perfectly polite and civil to him, whilst she chatted to him about what he was up to and how he was doing etc etc.

It's not unreasonable to expect, purely out of decency, that she would not go out of her way to talk to someone who basically slapped me in the face, is it?

Wouldn't most girls be mightily pissed off if another girl tried to snatch their guy, and their guy then saw this girl in town, dragged her other half over, introduced the pair of them and started chatting to the 'would-be-snatcher' about how she was and what she was up to?

I don't understand why she cares how the hell the guy is; he is a moron and I don't know why she'd want to make a point of speaking to him after what he did :chin:
    Maybe you are being too sensitive here? Drunk blokes at Christmas try it on with everyone regardless - and I am sure your girlfriend understand this.

The point is that it did not go any further and while you may think he's a moron, perhaps your girlfriend thinks he's ok (as an acquaintance)?

Its understandable that you may feel a tinge of jealousy or possessiveness but your relationship has been good since then - so let this one ride ....
    Museman wrote:
    Appreciate your input *but* we hadn't had a row; we had a row because of what happened (or rather what I suspected might have happened) after the event. We hadn't fallen out and she wasn't in a huff when she went out so had no reason to ignore me.........

That was me reading it incorrectly. I thought in your starting post you meant that you'd had a tiff and then she had ignored your calls etc. Didn't realise it was the opposite way round.
    I think you are overreacting a bit - at the end of the day, I know a few guys that have tried it on with me while I've been with my boyfriend but the message is a very clear no and I don't see why I should suddenly have to cut them out of my life because at some time or another in the past they have been attracted to me. I wouldn't expect my boyfriend to stop talking to someone because at some point in the past she tried it on with him, even knowing he had a girlfriend. It is a different situation if it is someone that has met you before and knows the situation between the two of you and then still tries it on with your girl, but that wasn't the case, he asked her to kiss him once and she sent out a firm message, end of story.

Personally I would find it really embarassing if my partner stood there huffing and puffing and giving evils to someone I introduced them to because they had been attracted to me in the past, and I would not expect my partner to ask me to end a friendship with someone because of something like that. That is just my opion, perhaps I am too laid back but actions speak louder than words and the facts of the situation are: nothing happened with your girlfriend and this guy, and she is with you.
    FireFly85 wrote:
    It is a different situation if it is someone that has met you before and knows the situation between the two of you and then still tries it on with your girl, but that wasn't the case, he asked her to kiss him once and she sent out a firm message, end of story.

: nothing happened with your girlfriend and this guy, and she is with you.

Well he hadn't met me before, but my girlfriend said she'd spent half the night talking to him about me and about how happy she was with me.......... so I do feel kicked in the jaffas.

I hear what you're all saying though, she's still with me and it's been fine since. Cheers folks.
    kathryn wrote:
    Err- I have to disagree - i personally would be furious if my bf allowed me to meet and stand there chatting to some girl who had made it quite clear she wanted him and didnt care that i existed, without me knowing. I would feel totally humiliated that i was allowed to stand there like nothing had happened, probably even been polite and friendly towards her, as a girl like that is not someone i would want to even give time of day to, and she would obviously know that my bf hadnt told me and probably think that that meant she might still have a chance.

I think you have every right to feel hurt and annoyed - if she thought it best not to tell you as nothing happened then she shouldnt have put you in that position with the other guy, and, more importantly she should have stuck to her decision and NEVER told you about it, because by not tell ing you it should have been in her head like it never happened.

Having said all that -it doesnt mean anythign did happen between them, and it isnt a dumpable offence or anything, but i deff think she handled the situation poorly and you should tell her how dumb it made you feel.

I have to say I agree with this.
    I have to say I agree with this.

As do I.
    kathryn wrote:
    Err- I have to disagree - i personally would be furious if my bf allowed me to meet and stand there chatting to some girl who had made it quite clear she wanted him and didnt care that i existed, without me knowing. I would feel totally humiliated that i was allowed to stand there like nothing had happened, probably even been polite and friendly towards her, as a girl like that is not someone i would want to even give time of day to, and she would obviously know that my bf hadnt told me and probably think that that meant she might still have a chance.

I think you have every right to feel hurt and annoyed - if she thought it best not to tell you as nothing happened then she shouldnt have put you in that position with the other guy, and, more importantly she should have stuck to her decision and NEVER told you about it, because by not tell ing you it should have been in her head like it never happened.

Having said all that -it doesnt mean anythign did happen between them, and it isnt a dumpable offence or anything, but i deff think she handled the situation poorly and you should tell her how dumb it made you feel.

Ah, thank you ever so much! I was starting to wonder if I was being silly! Your first paragraph sums up exactly the way I feel about it. To add to that - and this is probably a 'guy' thing since we're meant to be all protective etc etc - but he probably thought I was a bit of a poof for being prepared to stand there and be nice to him after what he'd tried to do. Maybe he thought I'd wanted to come over and challenge him but then lost the balls for it or something once we got over to him. Fact is I was completely oblivious!

When he tried it on with her, he wasn't drunk and like I say, my girlfriend says she'd spent half the night talking about me and about 'us'.

Exactly like you said, it's the fact I was nice and civil in my ignorance, when in reality I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him, and certainly not stand there and talk to him. Thank you for restoring my faith in my own sense of where lines should be drawn!
    I honestly wouldn't really give a shit. If I already had the girl and nothing happened between them, I don't see the big deal. Maybe next time you see him ask him why he wanted to kiss her if he knew she wasn't single. If he gives you some smart ass answer or is inherently a jackass, well, it's his loss anyway.