Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

On Democracy and Humanrights in Burma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think the United States and the United Nations really helping Burma?Bush extends one year sanctions on Burma?Does this really necessary for him to do?He can help the country by doing many other ways to regain its democracy and human rights.What do you guys think? :mad

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No they are not, anywhere where the US government go and do something, it's always in their own interest and nothing more... Probably like most government these days...
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    US being cocks as usuall, not even trying to do anything good.

Supprise?
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    US being cocks as usuall, not even trying to do anything good.

Supprise?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5006998.stm

Except it seems to be the US is one of the leading lights in putting pressure on Burma, whereas its China and Russia who are holding it back.
    It is a sensitive matter for permanent members Russia and China, who argue that human rights is outside the council's agenda of upholding international peace and security.

But the US, which regards the military government as repressive, wants to get Burma onto the agenda because that would increase pressure on the country's generals, our correspondent says

Also a link to the original story might be nice.
    So... what right does the US have to do this, or say this, whilst EXERCISING military control in two countries - Iraq and Afghanistan - with the UK's help?

And indeed - what right to interfere in another countries matters - over democracy - after the US and UK are both guilty of "losing" votes? Perhaps a little convieniently?

Sanctinos are hardly going to help either are they? They SURE help Palestine. And as for imprisonment - there are lots of people illegally held in Guantanamo - Cubah as pointed this out to the UN - who promtly ignored it and stuffed it under the carpet. Never mind, people will forget eventually.

We cannot even sort our own house out, have failed to sort out Iraq or Afghanistan effectivley - what right do we have to tell others what to do?
    I'm not sure of your argument - in one post you claim that the US is not trying to do anything good. And in the next you say they have no right to do anything good.

What are you criticising them for - not doing good or doing it?
    NQA wrote:
    I'm not sure of your argument - in one post you claim that the US is not trying to do anything good. And in the next you say they have no right to do anything good.

What are you criticising them for - not doing good or doing it?
    Sorry, the former.

It's catch 22 - they're damned if tehy do, damned if they don't. So I say - just stay out, and you've annoyed one less country. Besides, you don't HONESTLY think they would do it if somehow it didn't benefit them?

What I have said is - so, they are doing it for personal gain not good. If they argue they are doing it for good, I can defeat that argument well with the last one posted there, by pointing out they have no right to even do that.

Before even claiming to try to sort out someone elses house, it helps if your own is in order. Which the US's blatantly isn't.
    But the US houses is much more in order than Burma's. By that logic no one could do anything unless they were perfect. the fact that the US ignores abuse in some countries, doesn't mean they shouldn't be applauded when they deal with them in others.

It may be hypocrisy on the US part, but its also hypocrisy to complain about human right abuses in other countries in places like Palestine etc, but then suddenly turn round say 'We shouldn't interfere' if its Burma and its the US doing the interfering.
    So we are to allow the US to have double standards, it is wrong to ask them to apply the same standards to every instance? They are allowed to let Themselves and Friendly nations get away with oppresive regeimes and Human rightd abuses but it is fine to tell other nations and indeed, force and threaten them to act otherwise?

I'd prefer it if the US followed its own rules and made all nations follow the same rules, instead of excluding itself and friendly nations. It'd be the same if they told China to stop occupying Tibet whislt still in Iraq. As such, the US should release it's illegally held prisoners before telling Tibet too, and be slightly more Liberal and Democratic before tellnig the rest of the world to do so. They don't have to be perfect, just set a good example. Which they are doing a piss poor job of. They're getting highly totalitarian whilst shouting about freedom. Shades of the fucking USSR.
    NQA wrote:
    It may be hypocrisy on the US part, but its also hypocrisy to complain about human right abuses in other countries in places like Palestine etc, but then suddenly turn round say 'We shouldn't interfere' if its Burma and its the US doing the interfering.
    I agree... The US sure are doing a great job in Iraq. Attacking civilian populated areas with cluster bombs and phosphorous, pure genius... Their virtue is astonishing. And the torture. Good job boys!

Let's face it, the US is self-interested, every country is self-interested and what is there in Burma that can benefit the greedy materialistic west?

Burma is one of the world's poorest countries and with poverty comes issues such as lack of education and without education, how can an infrastructure be built? When you place sanctions on a country it does them no favours, it harms the most vulnerable people and with a junta that will happily put dissidents in dog kennels and torture and murder activists, I hardly think they will care about the poorest people who will end up dead. Look at what sanctions did to Iraq.

As for what can be done... I don't know. Unless there is an economic incentive (it's not too far from Tibet so may possibly have oil? I thought Burma's economy would be more agriclture and textile based however) to intervein, I don't see how anyone will give a shit. Sad as it is.

Burma would need a shit ton of work. The junta would have to go, people would have to be educated, roads built effectively, a lot of work done with human rights... It is one hell of a job making changes there.