Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

playing DVDs on sony laptop - how?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so maybe I'm being entirely stupid but how do you do it?!
If I put a dvd in, a screen comes up saying which program to use, the default is sony's VAI0 one so I use that, then a screen comes up saying CD/DVD, so click on that and then F: or G: comes up (have no idea what that means). Anyway I've tried clicking on various things and arrows but just can't work it out...
All I want to do is to play a dvd goddamit!

Thanks x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Download the Mega Codec Pack here --> http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Install and you should be able to read them with windows media player which will select automatically which drive the DVD is in...

It will also install media player classic and bsplayer which can both read dvd easily too...
    Media player classic is great for DVD's as you just click file, play disk and it plays it :)
    and bsplayer which can both read dvd easily too...

Seconded. BSPlayer - best video player on Windows. :)
    BSplayer now comes budled with adware or you have to pay for the unlocked model doesn't it?

I'd recommend VLC media player instead.

Just to confirm - BSplayer does contain adware
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bsplayer
    Jim V wrote:
    BSplayer now comes budled with adware or you have to pay for the unlocked model doesn't it?

No it doesn't, unless they changed it, but in the Mega Codec Pack it comes as a full release and doesn't have any adware at all...
    Yeah it does man, they did change it - it may be an old version on the mega pack
    Jim V wrote:
    Yeah it does man, they did change it - it may be an old version on the mega pack

Possible, always got it from the pack, never from the website...
    well if they did it suck then!
    Jim V wrote:

In which case, BSPlayer sucks almost as much as WMP. Pity, I used to like BSPlayer...

I use Kaffeine and VLC - didn't even think of checking whether there was a Windows release :). VLC is nice, if a little minimalistic.
    Would it kill VLC to have a bloody navigation bar in full screen?

As to BSplayer they are really honest about it when you install the new version, but then any anti-spyware just goes mental during the install.
    Even though I've not used it for a few years now, I'm really quite sad to see BSPlayer turning poo like this. Why do people have to f*ck up a great little application, just for greed? :(

Do the older versions still do everything properly? I'd be inclined to stick with an older release if I could - it is(was?) leaps and bounds ahead of VLC...

Am I wrong to actually feel sad about this? I think I need to get a life! :)
    I always use VLC, even for my music at home I use it, so much better in my opinion, so what it has no flashy skins etc it does what it does superbly and better than most programs I know or have used,

Although a nav bar in fall screen could be usefull *reminds self to update* I have only ever had one movie not work in VLC when I tried and it just lagged, (used Media player Classic for it)