Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What are you reading? Thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Haha! I thought I would drag this thread back from the dead! Does nobody else ever read! I will just have to read all the more to bump this thread back up! Mwahahahahaaa!

Hmm well I finished the cider house rules, good but a bit of a disappointment, and drones on a bit.

Then I read Empress Orchid, which was very good, but left you with the same hollow feeling as memoirs of a geisha, that they would never really have the true happy ending. Hmm it was very much like memoirs of a geisha.... But good anyways

Then I read tales of the otori by Lian Hearn. These were good, different to anything I have read recently, although a bit simply written. Obviously a lot of research was put into them. And I :heart: all the stuff about Kaede and Takeo, although the last book ended a bit abruptly I thought, and it was just a bit too easy.

Next up, I think is my teach yourself chinese book - fun fun! Things fall apart by chinua achebe to come also.

Please someone else post now!!!! :grump:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just started Alice in Wonderland. Yes, I'm up to the 5th grade reading already :p

I like this thread, definatly gives me ideas for next!
    The Cider House Rules disappointed me, too.

At the minute I'm reading On the Road for what may well be the millionth time. The day I'm fed up of it is the day hell will freeze over ;)

But next up I need to read Longitude by Dava Sobel. I got a beautiful copy of it as a gift at Christmas and haven't managed to get round to reading it yet, I must.
    just read some discworld. n ewan & charlie's long way round. ipod, therefore i am by some geezer, playing the moldovans at tennis by tony hawk. there was something else but i can't remember what..
    I'm re-reading Wuthering Heights for the millionth time. It's just so awesome and lovely. Yesss!

I dig the summer and the way I can read what I wanna read. :heart:
    Oh, why did the mods start a new one? So it was a bit old, having the rest of the other thread gave people book ideas, I dont think it was a very good idea to start it over :(
    IWishIWas wrote:
    I'm re-reading Wuthering Heights for the millionth time. It's just so awesome and lovely. Yesss!

Gah, I adore Wuthering Heights. I'm going to have to dig it out soon and absorb it all over again :heart:
    O Monte Cinco by Paulo Coelho.
    briggi wrote:
    Gah, I adore Wuthering Heights. I'm going to have to dig it out soon and absorb it all over again :heart:

Most definitely!! It's always such an awesome read, even when you know what happens in the end.

*sniff* :crying:
    \
    I'm reading, on the recommendation of briggi, The Women's Room by Marilyn French. However, I have had to stop reading it in public places like the train, because I keep crying and it's getting a bit embarrassing. I'm loving it, and have recommended it to everyone I know - I think I'm a bit of an annoying evangelist when it comes to books I love.

Just read a few reviews on it and it looks good. Might pop into town tomorrow lunchtime and buy it.
    I'm reading, on the recommendation of briggi, The Women's Room by Marilyn French. However, I have had to stop reading it in public places like the train, because I keep crying and it's getting a bit embarrassing. I'm loving it, and have recommended it to everyone I know - I think I'm a bit of an annoying evangelist when it comes to books I love.

Score! I love a book that makes me cry!

What's it all about?

I think I may well be an annoying literary evangelist too then, but there are far worse things we could be. I've recommended TWR to a fair few people and those that act on the recommendation have all been completely bowled over by it, I'm really glad you're enjoying it... embarassment factor aside.

It is a fantastic book though, isn't it? So it's not all that surprising... as ridiculous as it may sound I felt like a changed woman when I'd finished it :thumb:
    \
    It's incredible. I had an hour or so to kill between appointments when I was flat hunting last week, and as I was wandering round Waterstone's I remembered you mentioning it in the thread about books that changed your life, and as we seem to have similar tastes I bought it. I went and sat in a cafe reading it and within a few minutes I was in tears, and I felt that I had to tell every woman I know about this book and make them read it. Even though my life is completely different from Mira's, having been born into a much happier and freer time to be a woman, so many bits of it send little shivers of recognition down my spine. I turned up at the next letting agents with mascara all over my red blotchy face, they must have thought I was a right oddball.

IWIW, I couldn't possibly do justice to what it's about in a few sentences because I'm extremely inarticulate, but read some online reviews of it. Then go out and buy it immediately!

Ha ha! Yes! As much as some people are literary evangelists, I'm the first to admit that I'm a sucker to the lot of them.
    The only time I was ever let down was in the case of those Pullman books.
    Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan - that's some powerful hippy mojo
    and I just finished The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe, great read and in an illustrated edition which makes it look like some kids science book - which makes it even better when someone says fuck.
    I was browsing Blackwell's today, and I came across a book called The Sayonara Bar. It's all set in Japan and looks full of interesting characters.

Anyone here happen to have read it?
    I am reading the Templars by Piers Paul Reed - which is about the templar knights during the crusades - its a history book - I mainly read history books but very occasionally i indulge myself and read some literature.

I've run out of books to read now (apart from my on going biography of winston churchill which i've been reading for the last 4 years) but i'm considering re-reading all my Middle Easten history text books (in order) from my degree.
    Wyetry wrote:
    I am reading the Templars by Piers Paul Reed - which is about the templar knights during the crusades - its a history book - I mainly read history books but very occasionally i indulge myself and read some literature.

I've run out of books to read now (apart from my on going biography of winston churchill which i've been reading for the last 4 years) but i'm considering re-reading all my Middle Easten history text books (in order) from my degree.

I really enjoyed The Templars, presume you've read Zoe Oldenbourg's The Crusades? The idea of the crusades being used to create a sense of European identity was fascinating, especially since I only ever studied modern history.
    Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett.

I realised today that there will come a point when I've read all of the Discworld books. That will be a sad day indeed :(
    Just finished re-reading Lord of The Flies for my Eng. Lit. exam, which was yesterday. Have to say, when we first started it, I wasn't too keen, but now I know all the deeper meanings, its become one of the best I've read.
    IWIW, I couldn't possibly do justice to what it's about in a few sentences because I'm extremely inarticulate, but read some online reviews of it. Then go out and buy it immediately!

You... inarticulate? You daft bugger :razz:
    im waiting for my boss to finish reading this book about the life of JFK (not the assasination) and after he finishes it, im going to get to read it :hyper:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman.

I'm on a kiddy read at the moment as I have recently read Adolphus Tips by Michael Morpurgo too.
    I am reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I've just got into Dean Koontz books recently, I read Velocity and thought it was amazing. So I'm reading Odd Thomas and then Forever Odd.

Which reminds me, I'm off to bed to read some more!
    Aww you all sound so clever an stuff with your fancy books :(

I just read chick lit crap. I like a good fluffy read :D
    Baby shambler - have you read much stephen king?

And I tried to find the other what are you reading thread, but it had disappeared!
    talia wrote:
    Baby shambler - have you read much stephen king?

And I tried to find the other what are you reading thread, but it had disappeared!

I've not read ANY Stephen King - yet. :p

At school, they used to make us write about every single chapter we ever read, and it put me soooo far off reading it's untrue. I'm only just starting to enjoy it again.
    I am reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman.

I'm on a kiddy read at the moment as I have recently read Adolphus Tips by Michael Morpurgo too.

is it any good?
    I've got it but not read it
    I just finished reading "We need to talk about Kevin"... it's verrry good :yes: