Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Public Toilets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They're not the nicest of things at the best of times, but is it true that there is some risk that you can catch STIs from them? If you're not careful and they're not clean, of course.

Just wondering, because I'm a wee bitty paranoid when I want to be!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Urban myth methinks.
    Its like getting pregnant from a toilet seat really.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    my_name wrote:
    Its like getting pregnant from a toilet seat really.
    you mean to say you cant?!
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    you mean to say you cant?!

I never said you can't, I just ment that the process is quite similar :razz:
    I hate hate hate using public toilets.

Baby changing rooms too, they are like hell on earth, the pungent aroma of stale shite makes me boak everytime :(
    I hate public toilets but I'm very glad they are there! I don't like touching the door handle on the way out because so many people don't wash their hands.
    I don't like touching the door handle on the way out because so many people don't wash their hands.
    Im like that too! The minute I wash my hands I dont touch another thing.
    Quite tricky if you have to pull the door open, I usually use my sleeve or something so I don't have to touch it.
    Urban myth... Huh, I kinda figured so!

But I was just wondering! :(
    Its technically possible though about as likely as winning the lottery a few times.

What is somewhat more likely is getting Hep C in the male toilet, when blokes pee some of it goes up into the air and stays there as a mist, you can get Hep C like this. Though to do so you'd have to stay in there for ages and be really unlucky.
    i paid 20p for a wee in a public toilet yesterday, what a rip. might as well have pee'd outside.
    koe_182 wrote:
    i paid 20p for a wee in a public toilet yesterday, what a rip. might as well have pee'd outside.

Pay to pee? Even I would go outside :p
    Lol. You have to pay to use the toilets in train stations.

I hate using public toilets but I still use them. I just hover over them. Lol. I won't sit on them.
    my_name wrote:
    Pay to pee? Even I would go outside :p

Yeah but they get you in there first and then the sign is on the way out to pay, and there was even a woman behind a counter waiting for the money! i was like ok...here ya go....weird
    pay to use the toilet? Thats a first for me hearing that one! Yikes!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hahaha, pay toilets are quite common abroad.

Rip tbh, but meh. Suppose it pays the cleaners. Best one was in Berlin, at the Hostel, we were in there showering... and there was a female cleaner doing the blokes showers. It was like "Yeah... erm... I am trying to dress here."
    koe_182 wrote:

Yeah i hate that. I was in London and waited until i got back home to Aylesbury. Theres toilets in Exeter open at night but you have to pay. Like drunk people will bother...
    so since they get money for them, are they kept up nicer than others?
    Supposedly!

It sucks that they make you pay for them in stations, cause they're the place you need them the most; just after a long journey!!
    Do you lot live in the 1950's or something, pay toilets have been around for years.

these were still a state, at least i was only having a pee.

Abroad they often are, where there is a toilet attendant whose job it is to make sure everything's in good order.

I've had varying experiences over here. I suppose you might not take much pride in your work if it involved toilet duties... but the majority tend to :)

I'm actually not too bothered about public toilets. If they seem relatively clean I'll sit on them; if they're not clean enough to sit down and have a little rest on then I usually just hold it in :p
    bongbudda wrote:
    Do you lot live in the 1950's or something, pay toilets have been around for years.

I was just going to say that. lol
    i usually just nip in a pub or a mcdonalds or something if im desperate. but i didnt know where i was yesterday so i just used the public ones.

as a rule, weatherspoons usually have decent toilets if you are on the look out for one
    Pay toilets are where the phrase 'spend a penny' comes from.

It costs you 20p to use York public toilets, unless you grab the door when someone else is coming out and don't let it close. They are ok though, they won the award for 'best public toilet' in Bella magazine last year :yes:
    Pay toilets are where the phrase 'spend a penny' comes from.

It costs you 20p to use York public toilets, unless you grab the door when someone else is coming out and don't let it close. They are ok though, they won the award for 'best public toilet' in Bella magazine last year :yes:

on our old bus station in town which was only knocked down about 4 years ago it was 2p for a cubicle, it was still that price when it closed. ahh bless.

it was a right dump tho, i'd rather do it on a back street.
    Pay toilets are meant to keep "undesirables" out as well as helping cover some of the cost of running them.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Pay toilets are meant to keep "undesirables" out as well as helping cover some of the cost of running them.
    :yes: - but then the "undesirables" find somewhere else to pee, like a phone booth for example, and pee for free.
    rachie004 wrote:
    (and I had to find out through experience why you shouldn't use them while the seat belt signs are on :o )
    :lol:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    otter wrote:
    :yes: - but then the "undesirables" find somewhere else to pee, like a phone booth for example, and pee for free.

Hey! If you're anything like me, then on the way back from drinking you have spent all your money. So as such, a phone box is a free, enclosed, warm, alternative. Just dont get your shoes.

Plus you can look like you are busy on the phone.

A back alley is SO much easier though.