Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Which one is best?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
AMD SEMPRON 3300+ PROCESSOR 1.8GHz

or

INTEL CELERON M 370 PROCESSOR 1.50GHz

or

INTEL PENTIUM M 735 PROCESSOR 1.7GHz

I really do not know much about computers, so I would like your advice on which is best.

Basically, I have £550 to spend on a laptop for my younger sisters birthday. Was looking at some Compaq Presarios. It would need to be wireless enabled.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    AMD is alway the best call imo...
  • Options
    AMD is alway the best call imo...
    and celory the worst.
  • Options
    AMD all the way
  • Options
    ive had several laptops, each using different processors. i always found Intel Centrino to be the best for laptops. the batteries have always lasted much longer than AMDs.

i have a different opinion for desktops (AMD always), but definitely intel for laptops.
  • Options
    Best in what way? Cheapest? Fastest? Less heat?

I'd probably go for the INTEL PENTIUM M 735 PROCESSOR 1.7GHz in a laptop
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    AMD. Whilst it may only be a Sempron, it's a darn sight better than a Celeron.

Plus, it is faster. AMD generally perform, in real terms, far faster than Intel chips do.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Plus, it is faster. AMD generally perform, in real terms, far faster than Intel chips do.

Yeah but they also fail alot more in my opinion...
  • Options
    I am looking at a laptop and under the operating system it says 'MCE 2005' What is that?
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Yeah but they also fail alot more in my opinion...

And in my experience, they have been absolutley fine.

Wheras Intel, not so. My P4 isn't that old, and is running lamely. Too hot, even with a new HS/F, and losing performance. Fucking thing.

AMD are better overall, imho - Cheaper, Faster, more stable, and run cooler.

It's all down to taste. Intel perform better for Video Compresion mind.
  • Options
    Its Windows Media Centre Edition...

Just the same as normal windows XP, just looks a bit nicer and has a media program on it for playing music, vids, organizing photos etc
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It's all down to taste.

Exactly. Dont get me wrong... I have an AMD in my home pc...

Its just from what I have seen at work, very rarely get a PC in for repair with a failed pentium, had a fair few AMD's. But that was a year or 2 back... I think they have improved very much so recently.
  • Options
    saying that i hear horror stories about maxtor drives with 6Y***** serial numbers on

and ive never had a problem with one ever
  • Options
    Daibach wrote:
    ive had several laptops, each using different processors. i always found Intel Centrino to be the best for laptops. the batteries have always lasted much longer than AMDs.

i have a different opinion for desktops (AMD always), but definitely intel for laptops.

That is true. AMD's good for desktops, but for a laptop go with Intel 735 1.7GHz. It'll more power efficient and less likely to overheat than the AMD.
  • Options
    The AMD will - probably - give the best raw power. It'll encode video faster, play games faster, do complicated math faster. It's a much nicer CPU design, but...

The Intel processors will be more than enough for boring, humdrum laptop use. Office, playing music, going online - and they tend to give better battery life than the AMD variety, and cook your legs at a far gentler rate during summer.

In the real world, most people wouldn't notice any difference between a 1ghz Pentium 3 and the latest-and-greatest 50ghz processors. Any difference in performance will be negligible unless you're encoding video(ripping DVDs), playing games, or working with large CAD drawings.

I'd go Intel in a laptop, and AMD in a desktop. As for whether to use a Celeron or a Pentium - go for whichever machine makes the most sense financially and ergonomically. Either processor will be slow in 2 years time - might as well either save the cash now or make sure it's a comfortable and robust machine :).

More memory makes more difference than processor speed for most users.
  • Options
    ...the latest-and-greatest 50ghz processors...

LINK!?! I want a 50ghz processor!!!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    LINK!?! I want a 50ghz processor!!!

Here you go... it's just as fast as a P4 clocked at 50ghz ;).
  • Options
    I see only 50mhz... that's hardly stunning :p

I have a 484... and a 686!
  • Options
    Just wait until you can upgrade to the 4.77mhz 8088. Your pants will be on fire when you see the beauty of Windows 3.0 :).
  • Options
    Just wait until you can upgrade to the 4.77mhz 8088. Your pants will be on fire when you see the beauty of Windows 3.0 :).
    :lol: !
    Nah, DOS is still the best. Windows... ffft!