Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

9 peaceful people vs 50 police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
guess what happened?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5007214.stm

well he is going to starve himself, thank you oh so democratic country :mad:

anyway my question to you? would he of been wrong to physically resist basically the threat of violence.... if it was me i would of used the threat of violence to keep my protest going, but he is a stronge rman and hopefully he will get the lords to overturn this law

Comments

• Options
    They really know how to get the public to rally round them, don't they?
  • Options
    This eyesore has made his point, unfortunately it’s beyond him to get a job (or take a bath). He’s even more annoying than the 'are you gonna be a sinner or a winner?' Christian fruitcake at Oxford Circus...Guessing that bloke is still there? Haven't been to Oxford Street for a few months. But the wacko in Parliament Square is an absolute public nuisance and his (mostly) incoherent ramblings are incredibly tedious but I suppose the current approach towards him is a bit authoritarian. I don't really care though tbh.
  • Options
    Well I went past on the bus about an hour ago, there are still people there. Good on them, making a stand for democracy.
  • Options
    He’s even more annoying than the 'are you gonna be a sinner or a winner?' Christian fruitcake at Oxford Circus...Guessing that bloke is still there? Haven't been to Oxford Street for a few months.
    :no: They took out an ASBO against him a couple of weeks ago. He's gone.
  • Options
    Hey, let's ASBO all the non-conformists and misfits! Yeah!
  • Options
    Got to say though, the photographer who got this photograph:

_41676268_brian_haw_police2.jpg

Well done!

But yea, it is a bit crap, people should be allowed to protest all they like wherever they like (so long as its peaceful and non-disruptive i.e. not standing in someones way or preventing them from going around you).
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Hey, let's ASBO all the non-conformists and misfits! Yeah!
    Well he was extremely offensive to Christians and non-Christians alike.

Philip Howard Sinner-Winner ASBO story
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Well he was extremely offensive to Christians and non-Christians alike.

Philip Howard Sinner-Winner ASBO story

How exactly was he 'extremely' offensive? I am continually amazed at how easily offended some people apparently are...He was irritating, a weirdo and evidently a bit mad but extremely offensive? Now the Christian bloke has been banned from Oxford Street though there is surely a space for the anti-war chap?

Anyway, just because someone or something is offensive it doesn’t mean they should be banned. The Da Vinci Code offends some Catholics and cartoons of Muhammad offend Muslims – should they be banned?
  • Options
    I couldnt care less how big his placards are myself, but he did agree to certain conditions of a none stop protest and he broke them, his own fault and if he starves to death, he brought it on himself.
  • Options
    saw him on the news today and it made me quite sad actually, this bloke's trying to defend freedom of speech and democracy almost single-handedly, have to hand it to him he's a real legend, 5 years he's been there now that's gobsmacking.....if he started a political party i think i'd actually vote.......Brian Haw for PM? lol crazy maybe but better than that waste of space we've got in No 10.......
  • Options
    How exactly was he 'extremely' offensive? I am continually amazed at how easily offended some people apparently are...He was irritating, a weirdo and evidently a bit mad but extremely offensive?
    He would use his mega-phone to address the public. Fair enough. But he would tell everybody that they are sinners and that they are going to hell.

He would often pick on individuals and condemn them over the megaphone making everyone stare at them. He would for example pick on a pretty girl and tell her she was going to hell for being vain, for worshipping herself instead of God (even though he knows nothing of her religious life). Or tell off shoppers for "worshipping" John Lewis instead of Jesus.

He insults Christians too. He has told several of my friends who are in the Salvation Army that they are going to Hell (even knowing they are Salvationists which you might think he would approve of).

I would feel really embarassed if it was me he picked on ever over the megaphone and would obviously have no chance to defend myself as I don't generally carry a megaphone with me whilst on Oxford Street.

From the Christian perspective his evangelism style is an embarassment and he clearly puts far more people off the religion than he could possible attract. Far from demonstrating love (which is the most important commandment to Christians) he wastes time and money on telling random people he does not even know that they are going to hell. Imagine what good he could achieve, in the name of Jesus, if he put his time and resources into actually helping people rather than condemning them.

*Sorry for thread-hijacking. I guess it is still to do with freedom of speech etc*
  • Options
    look i think its theres nothing wrong with people protesting, as long they arent protesting against the things i believe in
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    He would use his mega-phone to address the public. Fair enough. But he would tell everybody that they are sinners and that they are going to hell.

I’m aware of that and so what? There’s no legislation as far as I know outlawing some fruitcake from announcing that people are going to hell. If he was inciting racial hatred – which is against the law, there would be some merit to ban him from the area.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    He would often pick on individuals and condemn them over the megaphone making everyone stare at them. He would for example pick on a pretty girl and tell her she was going to hell for being vain, for worshipping herself instead of God (even though he knows nothing of her religious life). Or tell off shoppers for "worshipping" John Lewis instead of Jesus.

Almost everybody ignored him, ‘making everyone stare at them’ – lol, a complete exaggeration.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    He insults Christians too. He has told several of my friends who are in the Salvation Army that they are going to Hell (even knowing they are Salvationists which you might think he would approve of).

I haven’t said he’s a nice bloke. I haven’t denied that he’s a nutter.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I would feel really embarassed if it was me he picked on ever over the megaphone and would obviously have no chance to defend myself as I don't generally carry a megaphone with me whilst on Oxford Street.

So do you think that law and order should be about protecting people from embarrassment as well as er upholding the law?
    Randomgirl wrote:
    From the Christian perspective his evangelism style is an embarassment and he clearly puts far more people off the religion than he could possible attract. Far from demonstrating love (which is the most important commandment to Christians) he wastes time and money on telling random people he does not even know that they are going to hell. Imagine what good he could achieve, in the name of Jesus, if he put his time and resources into actually helping people rather than condemning them.

That’s great but I don’t think we should be banning people from doing things because they might put people off religion. Maybe I’m out of touch with what’s offensive and what isn’t but shouting a few nonsensical remarks about going to hell or being a sinner to the odd pedestrian passing by is hardly serious harassment imo. Anyway such weirdos make our city centres more interesting. And where else can they go? Like anybody daring to wear a hoodie they’re banned in shopping malls.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    *Sorry for thread-hijacking.

Ditto.

How about the Parliament Square megaphone guy goes to Oxford Street now? It's not as if he will have to compete with the megaphone preacher who's now banned...And there’s no special laws covering Oxford Circus. (But an ASBO can get round that one).
  • Options
    If he was inciting racial hatred – which is against the law, there would be some merit to ban him from the area.
    Well he had a go at someone for having "buddist hair", is that racism?
    Almost everybody ignored him, ‘making everyone stare at them’ – lol, a complete exaggeration.
    That is not true. Most people seem to stare at him in dis-belief!
    So do you think that law and order should be about protecting people from embarrassment as well as er upholding the law?
    In this context yes. We should have the right to walk the streets without fear someone saying offensive remarks about us into a megaphone.
    Maybe I’m out of touch with what’s offensive and what isn’t but shouting a few nonsensical remarks about going to hell or being a sinner to the odd pedestrian passing by is hardly serious harassment imo.
    They might be non-sensical to you but I don't think you can assume they are to everyone. It is hardly the odd time it happens either, it was constant. If you walk down Oxford Street often you get told you are going to Hell often, it's as simple as that.
    How about the Parliament Square megaphone guy goes to Oxford Street now? It's not as if he will have to compete with the megaphone preacher who's now banned...And there’s no special laws covering Oxford Circus. (But an ASBO can get round that one).
    There are already two other mega-phone ministries going on in that patch. But I don't think anyone is going to rush take an ASBO out against these other individuals as they preach in a largely non-offensive way.

*rant over*
  • Options
    He is lucky that his campaign was so high profile and that he had so much support.

Imagine if not many people had heard of his campaign, if nobody knew who he is... He might not even get a trial.
  • Options
    Ah but if he didn't have that much support, then he wouldn't be a threat to the government, would he?
  • Options
    Ah but if he didn't have that much support, then he wouldn't be a threat to the government, would he?
    Sure he would, people have been arrested for protesting before.
  • Options
    I was under the impression that this arrest was more than a little bit political, rather than because of any genuine risk to the public.
  • Options
    I was under the impression that this arrest was more than a little bit political, rather than because of any genuine risk to the public.
    Of course it was, so was theirs. I remember watching on TV when this lady was charged with organised crime or some sort of shit for reading out the names of the dead soldiers in the wrong place in London... This won't happen to this hero, too many people know about him.
  • Options
    Of course it was, so was theirs. I remember watching on TV when this lady was charged with organised crime or some sort of shit for reading out the names of the dead soldiers in the wrong place in London... This won't happen to this hero, too many people know about him.

no she was charged under the same law and taken court and subsequently given a fine....

yes we really do live in a democracy

i love how people would say 'he should have a job' as if thats all they can say

the be a winner not a sinner guy started round my home town area, kind of useless in that its mainly quite devout non christians :lol:

he was amusing, yeh i said im going to hell but i dont believe him, nor did i pay him any attention the later times i saw him, i believe his prodegy speaks around there now, hes not as enthusiastic though :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well I went past on the bus about an hour ago, there are still people there. Good on them, making a stand for democracy.
    :yes:

It is just shame that most of the people in the UK will see this on the news... and not do anything. We should complain, and hold our government to account! If everyone wrote to them complaining, and threataning that if we don't get our freedoms back, we shall take action...

Then that'd show the fuckers and scare them into it. Remember, with Democracy, the idea is the PEOPLE have [power over their government if they start cunting around.

Tony thinks he is the President, not the Prime Minister.