Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

creating a file list

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know how to create a list of files in a CD?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It depends what you want to do with the list? print it, if so windows does not do this out of the box, if you want to just see the list.. then DOS is the king...

in windows drop to a command prompt: if you do not know how to do this, go to Start > Run type 'cmd' then you will be presented with a text screen in here, change to your CD drive:

<drive letter>: return

then type 'dir /s'

this will ist everything on your cd including subdirectories
    use dir /s >> C:\list.txt

to create a text file containing the list, the text file will be located in the root of your C drive, or you can specify a different location to save the list
    Gavman wrote:
    use dir /s >> C:\list.txt

to create a text file containing the list, the text file will be located in the root of your C drive, or you can specify a different location to save the list

I bow at your superior knowledge and slap myself for giving bad info :)
    I know bugger all about DOS, so I'm impressed :)
    Millay wrote:
    type 'cmd' then you will be presented with a text screen in here, change to your CD drive:

<drive letter>: return

then type 'dir /s'

this will ist everything on your cd including subdirectories

Add an 'ah' in the right place and you'll also get to see all hidden files as well :). a 'dir /?' should give more information.

I'm really out of date with DOS/Windows, so I might be slightly off-course. Us lords of the universe use 'ls', 'du' and 'df'. And we get funky tools like 'tree', which is great for making a list of music on your PC :).

Anyway, I'm off-topic...
    Add an 'ah' in the right place and you'll also get to see all hidden files as well :). a 'dir /?' should give more information.

I'm really out of date with DOS/Windows, so I might be slightly off-course. Us lords of the universe use 'ls', 'du' and 'df'. And we get funky tools like 'tree', which is great for making a list of music on your PC :).

Anyway, I'm off-topic...

ah back in true dos days, xtree (God even i am rusty with Dos, been using unix for too long now!) used to be such a useful tool!
    The command line is far more powerful than these nasty 3d things we're supposed to use. They slow the system down, make things over-complicated - instead of just doing up your shoelaces, they make you do it with a pair of molegrips. Coated in glitter. And oil.

When I we'r lad, back in t'old days, we ad andful of commands. Could do ev'rything in ten keystrokes or less.

Actually, even today, I've got a command line open most of the time. It's so much easier to just do a 'mv *.flac /media/storage/Music' than it is to try and select all files in this directory with a certain file extension.

And if you need something with a bit more power, just move over to mc. So simple, so smooth, so out-of-date and ugly, yet all you need. And just as fast as nano

I might start visiting here using Lynx :).