Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Union dispute disrupting graduations

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Moi? Mellowing? You'd never have believed it, would you? :p

Coming from someone who said that the use of torture was acceptable, no.

Like I've said before SG, just calm down a little bit and dont allow the Mail to lead you.

This strike is for your benefit really, if all the good lecturers have buggered off elsewhere to teach your degree will be worth less.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Like I've said before SG, just calm down a little bit and dont allow the Mail to lead you.

This strike is for your benefit really, if all the good lecturers have buggered off elsewhere to teach your degree will be worth less.
    I really don't understand where this idea comes from that somehow, I'm being "led" by the Mail newspapers. What they say and what I say are rarely the same. And as I've pointed out, papers like the Mail pay pretty well.

As for the strike, no, I can't see how it will magically benefit me personally. Are you now forecasting an exodus of lecturers? Are you now predicting hordes of university lecturers will descend on Dover, wanting to leave for pastures new? Can't see it happening myself. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What they say and what I say are rarely the same.

Yes but the words you use are the same. It makes you look juvenile.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes but the words you use are the same. It makes you look juvenile.
    What words would you prefer I used? I speak in a very formal way. I always have done, and I can't get out of it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What words would you prefer I used? I speak in a very formal way. I always have done, and I can't get out of it.

Words like "shameful,dispicable,farcical" it just seems so contrived and cliched.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Words like "shameful,dispicable,farcical" it just seems so contrived and cliched.
    I'm not taking lectures on how to use the English language from a man who swears in practically every post and usually retorts to any criticism of his views with a barrage of abuse.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm not taking lectures on how to use the English language from a man who swears in practically every post and usually retorts to any criticism of his views with a barrage of abuse.

I have an A-level in English Literature so I don't need lectures from you.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I have an A-level in English Literature so I don't need lectures from you.
    Touche, Turlough, I have one as well.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

This is one thing I find baffling. How come Labour was so keen to pick a fight on the fire fighters a few years ago, but aren't so keen to pick a fight now? What has changed so much in that time period?

Because lecturers striking does not kill people

Fire fighters striking does
  • Options
    the unions WERE asking for the negoations to happen last winter, however the univsersities left it to last minute to make them accept their proposals

considering my VC/provost has has a 25% pay rise in past few years surely the lecturers deserve a pay rise to sort out their pay cu for the past 25 years

my university is hardly affected
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As for the strike, no, I can't see how it will magically benefit me personally. Are you now forecasting an exodus of lecturers? Are you now predicting hordes of university lecturers will descend on Dover, wanting to leave for pastures new? Can't see it happening myself. :p

You may not be able to see it happening, but it already is and will continue to unless we pay lecturers properly.
  • Options
    From my understanding it is the universities which have been cynical... basically refusing to discuss the new pay settlement all year so that when they do discuss it the unions won't strike because it's exam time. The unions have simply called their bluff.

Pay and conditions for some academics, particularly those working on one temporary contract after another are really shocking, even more so when you consider the time - and money! - they spent qualifying. Inflation+2% a year or whatever 12.6% over three years works out as isn't going to do anything to solve that, and there's precious little point taking industrial action unless it hurts the employer. All the lecturers I know are conflicted about the fact that it's hurting the students as well, but there's little else they can do.
  • Options
    my university is hardly affected
    :no: Your department is hardly affected.

My marks are all being withheld :impissed: and I won't be getting my degree until things are resolved.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    :no: Your department is hardly affected.

My marks are all being withheld :impissed: and I won't be getting my degree until things are resolved.

didn't you get the email about the formal procedure to go through from the academic VC?
  • Options
    didn't you get the email about the formal procedure to go through from the academic VC?
    Yes but I don't think it will make any difference. Why would it?

What is going on in chemistry? Are you getting your degree results on time?