Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Klintock thread

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    seeker wrote:
    Give me a starter for 10
    What is your opinion on this?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Seeker, just answer a straight question that's put to you instead of firing meaningless ones back.

Is it justified to kill people to avoid paying tax?

I`d say if someone if threatening your life,self defence is ALWAYS justified
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I`d say if someone if threatening your life,self defence is ALWAYS justified

Great so we agree on that.

Unfortunately it doesn't answer scarlettleeds question. I'll ask it again in case you missed it
    Is it justified to kill people to avoid paying tax?
  • Options
    How does that answer the question I put to you?

Taxes are not a threat to your life. Killing people to avoid paying them is not self defence. Any further arguments?

Whoops, great minds and all that...
  • Options
    Taxes are not a threat to your life. Killing people to avoid paying them is not self defence. Any further arguments?

Where did you get that idea from ? Propaganda works well for sure.

And using words like "are" and "is" to express propaganda IS propaganda.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Are you going to make an argument, seeker?
  • Options
    Wow, is that you deflecting the question on to someone else again? What a surprise...

It's not a result of propaganda, I just looked at the objecitve evidence of the world around me, in a manner not dissimialr to klintock.

Taking away some of my money doesn't kill me. It doesn't cause me any physical harm. I might not like it all that much, but it's hardly the equivalent of being shot or stabbed. So it's not self defence to try and get out of paying it.

OK next time someone comes to take away that money try holding on and saying no.

Just try it for scientific empirical evidence.

TIP/CAVEAT:Some experiments are dangerous,so in the interests of your health try to limit the amount of times you say no and the tightness of your grip.I suspect you will still gather enough evidence to form a solid theory.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Are you going to make an argument, seeker?

what are you talking about ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    what are you talking about ?
    What everyone else has been waiting for - you answering the points put to you.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What everyone else has been waiting for - you answering the points put to you.

What do you want to know ? ? ?
  • Options
    i think everyone can see the question pretty clearly -

Do you believe that it is justified to kill people to avoid paying tax
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    What do you want to know ? ? ?
    I want to hear an argument from you.

I want to know what your perspective is, why, and where you stand on the existence of states.

I want you to respond to the countless points raised to counter yours throughout this thread.
  • Options
    I guess that would be as good a starting point as any other -

Seeker, since every else seems pretty clear in their perspective, that states do exist, for good or ill - what is your overall belief about the exsistance of states?
  • Options
    Ffs, I'm getting bored of this now, it's liking trying to have a conversation with a four year old who responds to everything you say with "why? why?" and thinks it's a really new, clever idea that they're the first to think up. Only an idiot would continue to argue with someone who has no idea what they're arguing, so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

That reply seems a strange one to my suggestion for gathering some real scientific evidence. Try it for just one "no". That should be enlightening. I speak from experience.I`m older than you assume :D
  • Options
    Seeker, trying to get you to answer a question feels a lot like trying to grab hold of a greased up snake.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    That reply seems a strange one to my suggestion for gathering some real scientific evidence. Try it for just one "no". That should be enlightening. I speak from experience.I`m older than you assume :D

Maybe if you give everyone the benefit of your experience, than everyone can understand where you are coming from. Come on, be benevolent.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    i too speak from experience.
    back in the early seventies i had a shop.
    i got thrown in jail for something and lost my shop.
    not long after my release i was contacted by the tax man about the shop.
    i didn't pay a penny on two years business.
    he didn't threaten to kill me or even kidnap me.
    over a few months of meetings and paperwork they accepted my story ...that i couldn't remember anything.
    all i could remember was funding a huge drugs habit ...i could prove i was a drug addict and it was impossible for them to get me to remember anything.
    it was decided that seeing as i would stick to the story of being in such a drug fueled haze even in court ...to drop it.
    i was exc8used ...didn't pay a penny. :D
    for some strange reason i even got a tax rebate a few months later!
    took the money and ran.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:

Seeker, since every else seems pretty clear in their perspective, that states do exist, for good or ill - what is your overall belief about the exsistance of states?

I get the feeling that you are not going to get an answer. It looks like someone is out for the "glory" of being banned, I guess some people feel the need to appear rebellious when actually they just conform...

Why is it that I have the image of someone who hasn't had to make their own way through life...?
  • Options
    Right, so everyone will stop moaning:

We have established that states and country's are a construct of the human mind (i.e. if every human died tomorrow, then the various country's and borders would no longer exist). So to move the debate on:

Are these constructs useful to humanity? Is it a good thing that people are seperated into different countrys? If you don't agree that it's a good thing, is it fair that you are forced to participate anyway?

There you go, that outta sort it. :p
    Not surprised to see Klintock banned, he did bang on about, that and the 'murder' thing.

What no-one has apparently mentioned is that countries and states are extensions of the territorial instinct in animals. Paul Colinvaux wrote a good book about it. 'The Fates Of Nations'.
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote:
    Not surprised to see Klintock banned, he did bang on about, that and the 'murder' thing.

What no-one has apparently mentioned is that countries and states are extensions of the territorial instinct in animals. Paul Colinvaux wrote a good book about it. 'The Fates Of Nations'.
    Someone mentioned that 4 posts in.
  • Options
    Not about 'lesser' animals, though. Simply a "construct of the human mind"... I think not...
  • Options
    Pretty much the same as what you said, me thinks.
    Iron Nic wrote:
    im unsure whether borders are good or bad. what im sure of is that humans are clannish and territorial, which is how this phenomenon of different countries came about.

probably it started of as familys, then moved on to extended relatives, then people of the same cultures and so on. i believe it is a natural phenomenon. a survival tactic.
  • Options
    I don't think it particularly matters who said it first - the bigger question would be if you agreed with the idea
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I don't think it particularly matters who said it first - the bigger question would be if you agreed with the idea
    Haha, yeah I do reckon it's right. Not necesseraly beneficial on such a large scale though.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:

Simple answer. Seems obvious to me."States" ARE a mental construct.I have no first hand evidence to the contrary nor has any ever been presented to me.