Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Horse Shoes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know how often a horse needs new shoes and what the heck they need shoes for in the first place? .. what's the purpose of them?

And if you're wondering why I'm asking it's cos I know a guy that can take a shoe and do this to it...

Personally I think he should sell them on ebay or something ...

People personalise their cars all the time .. why not their horse .. :D

Comments

• Options
    Did he make a clothes hanger or something?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Did he make a clothes hanger or something?

Naah just knows how to make things pretty colours.. ;)
  • Options
    seriously a chavs must have my real life little pony accessory
  • Options
    Pink shoes? :eek2:

Every 6-8 weeks normally depending on the horse. Stops the feet wearing away if they do a lot of work on the roads or hard ground, otherwise they'd have very sore feet. Over £50 a set too, piss annoying when they get one off. :yeees:
  • Options
    Pink shoes? :eek2:

Every 6-8 weeks normally depending on the horse. Stops the feet wearing away if they do a lot of work on the roads or hard ground, otherwise they'd have very sore feet. Over £50 a set too, piss annoying when they get one off. :yeees:

So you're like shelling out like £325 a year on Horse Shoes?? :chin:

That's like way more then the tyres on my car ... lol and even though don't need change that often.

Why do you need new shoes anyway? What actually hapens to the shoe?? does the metal wear away? surely metal is harder the concrete / tarmac, etc?
  • Options
    Damn, doesn't sound so bad when I say £50 every 6 weeks. :blush:

Yes, they do wear away, and surprisingly fast, although bearing in mind my horse weighs half a tonne, I guess there's a lot of force being put on them. The foot grows anyway so they need taking off, the foot needs trimming and then a new set of shoes are put on. Still, if my boy went without them he'd get very sore feet, so it's worth the money.

Out of interest, why does he paint the shoes anyway? Please tell me they aren't to go back on horses feet :nervous:
  • Options
    Damn, doesn't sound so bad when I say £50 every 6 weeks. :blush:

Yes, they do wear away, and surprisingly fast, although bearing in mind my horse weighs half a tonne, I guess there's a lot of force being put on them. The foot grows anyway so they need taking off, the foot needs trimming and then a new set of shoes are put on. Still, if my boy went without them he'd get very sore feet, so it's worth the money.

Out of interest, why does he paint the shoes anyway? Please tell me they aren't to go back on horses feet :nervous:

Actually £325 was based on every eight weeks if it's every 6 then it's more like £430

It's a special process for coating stuff made out of metal - probabaly just found an old set to practise on .. BTW what do you do withthe old shoes? Do they get melted down and recycled?

Just how many miles is your horse covering each week / month / year?
  • Options
    Ok, enough with the maths! :D

The old ones just get buried usually by my blacksmith. If they ever dig up his land for housing they're going to have to move a few thousand shoes. I asked him about it once, and he said that whilst he used to build up a collection and then have the melted, the amount it cost to do it, the space and what he got back from it wasn't actually worth it. In an ideal world I guess they would be recycled, maybe if they're all dug up at some point it'll happen then.

Mileage wise, we probably average 30-40 a week on the roads, it varies a lot, such as I haven't ridden at all this last week, but then the week before I was doing 1-2hours a day on hard ground.
  • Options
    so do horse shoes come in a set of sizes like people's shoes or does each set have to be individually tailored for each horse? .. that would at least explain why they cost so much .. and also why no one on ebay is selling any .. lol
  • Options
    If they do go back on the horse, wouldn't the 'paint' wear off really quickly?
  • Options
    city_boy wrote:

I think the horse would be more concerned about being laughed at by all it's other horse mates. ;)
  • Options
    I think the horse would be more concerned about being laughed at by all it's other horse mates. ;)

Surely it would depend on where the horse lives? I hear they are quite trendy in certain estates throughout the country.
  • Options
    so do horse shoes come in a set of sizes like people's shoes or does each set have to be individually tailored for each horse? .. that would at least explain why they cost so much .. and also why no one on ebay is selling any .. lol

Some horses need different types of shoes on if they have a problem with any of their hooves e.g mine drags her back foot so needs a more square ended shoes rather than a stereotypical rounded horseshoe. I need a new set for her every four weeks so at £47 a throw i spend about *quick maths* £564 on shoes. I do a lot of roadwork though which wears them down quite badly and also her hooves aren't in the best shape.
  • Options
    Pimp My Horse.
  • Options
    My girlfriend has a pony called Merlin, not 100% sure what breed he is, half shetland and possibly half welsh something. His feet are really hard though, he could do handstands without hurting his feet.

Then she's got a thoroughbred who limps walking on grass if she doesn't have shoes on. Pansy.

She gets them replaced depending on the wear, but it's not that often. 2-3 months or something?
  • Options
    Naah just knows how to make things pretty colours.. ;)

Oh duh :blush: I thought the wire thing on it was of some importance too.
  • Options
    city_boy wrote:

Well it's not painted on - special process using electrcity to coat the metal should make it a lot tougher but the bottom would scratch off I'm sure but seeing how much people are spending on shoe's there could be a market.

You know it seems horse owners could save a lot of money on horse shoes if only they could teach their horses to rollerskate .. :chin:
  • Options
    haha, these are great. And I'm sure these could be sold. The horse industry is full of girls who want their horses to look supercute by buying tack that has matching colours. Why not matching shoes too? Especially if they change their horse's shoes very frequently it's just like dying your hair.

A big part of the price of shoeing is paying the farrier's salary. That was about half the price I paid mine, even more when he was re-using shoes. And it's true that it's recommended that you change shoes every 6-8 weeks, but it depends on horses how quickly the hoof groves too big for the shoes. It's becoming more and more popular to not have the horses shod at all, though. However, it's not an option for everybody, especially those who don't ride inside an arena all the time.

And this reminds me I really ought to remove the spiked shoes my horse still has on his front hooves. Got to love bleeding money for my pony! ;)
  • Options
    To be fair, I can see it being a rather large hit.

I know a lot of people who go horseriding, and knowing their personalities, think they'd be interested probably.

My girlfriend used to use nail varnish on her horses hoof. Then got knee-high-stripy-socks (tm ;)) and cut holes in the bottom, and put that up to their ankles (what looks like their knees, if I'm correct). At christmas she makes a 'crown' of tinsel with fairy lights in and goes for a ride.

Really are some barmy people out there though :p
  • Options
    I'm tempted to get in contact with your mate, buy a load of him, sell them myself and make a shedload. :chin: But of course there's risk involved with that. But speaking to my girlfriend, whilst she wouldn't personally have them, she knows a lot of people who love stuff like that and probably would.
  • Options
    Make your own real life my little pony :heart:
  • Options
    My girlfriend used to use nail varnish on her horses hoof. Then got knee-high-stripy-socks (tm ;)) and cut holes in the bottom, and put that up to their ankles (what looks like their knees, if I'm correct). At christmas she makes a 'crown' of tinsel with fairy lights in and goes for a ride.
    p

Children/teenagers do this. Unwritten rule is once it gets past about 15 hands then it's called a horse and you do not inflict pink/glittery shite/anything else tacky on them :no: It's rather like being 23 years old and being made to wear a pinafore dress by your mother or suchlike.

Maybe it's just our yard, each to their own i suppose, just know i couldn't ride into a showjumping comp with my horse wearing pink shoes :)

The only downside of your theory on selling the shoes is finding any self-respecting farrier to do the job of fitting them :)
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    Children/teenagers do this. Unwritten rule is once it gets past about 15 hands then it's called a horse and you do not inflict pink/glittery shite/anything else tacky on them :no: It's rather like being 23 years old and being made to wear a pinafore dress by your mother or suchlike.

Agreed. I wouldn't be seen dead with them, perfectly happy with the silver ones. Have to say, I reckon they'd be more likely to be seen in the ponyclub showjumping quarter, they seem to follow "fashion" a lot more as a whole (being stereotypical). I on the otherhand, show and therefore have to stick to various traditions, which thankfully doesn't include pink shoes. ;)

Although I did once see a pair of patent baby pink long leather riding boots. :sour:
  • Options
    For god sake, what idiot would put pink shoes on their horse.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    For god sake, what idiot would put pink shoes on their horse.
    Well people put pink bows in their hair don't they? It's not much different!
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:

Maybe it's just our yard, each to their own i suppose, just know i couldn't ride into a showjumping comp with my horse wearing pink shoes :)

The only downside of your theory on selling the shoes is finding any self-respecting farrier to do the job of fitting them :)

I thought a horse was under 14.3. My girlfriends 'pony' is 14.3 so technically counts as a horse. But they still jump her as a pony lol. Nowadays my girlfriend wouldn't bother because she just tends to hack her horse and not do anything 'exciting', but when she was a bit younger she used to do it tonnes, especially her younger sister.
  • Options
    I thought a horse was under 14.3. My girlfriends 'pony' is 14.3 so technically counts as a horse. But they still jump her as a pony lol. Nowadays my girlfriend wouldn't bother because she just tends to hack her horse and not do anything 'exciting', but when she was a bit younger she used to do it tonnes, especially her younger sister.

Think techinally and in the showjumping/showing world it's 14.2, i'm shite with heights hence the reason i put 15 hands. In my mind they're big or small neddys end of :D
    Although I did once see a pair of patent baby pink long leather riding boots

Were they encasing Jordan's fake tanned legs by any chance? Bleurgh, pink fuc*ing boots, who the hell would buy those. *shudder* so deeply wrong.
  • Options
    Trouble is, you'd have to put the coating on after the shoe has been re forged to fit the foot, surely?????

Once you heat the shoe up the coating will come away.
  • Options
    not if its electrolysed i dont think

doesnt it turn the whole shoe pink, not just paint a coating on the outside?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    My mates a farrier so my sister gets shoes for her horse dirt cheap.
    Weekender Offender