Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm Movin out on me Ickle own!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've moving out Wednesday night, How scary!! Can you all help me out and tell me what ill need, ive only got the basics such as Bed and Clothes- Things which i have had in my bedroom!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've moving out Wednesday night, How scary!! Can you all help me out and tell me what ill need, ive only got the basics such as Bed and Clothes- Things which i have had in my bedroom!

You are going to need more than that.

Do have an oven and stuff in your new place?

You will need plates etc, towels, cleaning things, cooking things, food.
    It depends on what's included in your new house. Just think about what rooms you'll have in your house, and what you'll need for each one. Obviously you can decide what's the most important if you can't afford everything.

Kitchen: Crockery/cutlery, cooking utensils, electrical appliances, hoover, ironing board/iron, cleaning things, clothes drying rack things. Loads of other stuff no doubt.

Living Room: TV, radio, phone, lamps, heaters, furniture.

Bedroom: Bed/bedding, storage, desk (maybe?), towels, TV, alarm clock.

Bathroom: well, that should all be included I guess. Maybe a sponge and a rubber duck?

Living Room: TV, radio, phone, lamps, heaters, furniture.

It's easy to forget you will need a TV license for your new place. Although most of us resent it, it's not worth the £1,000 fine.
    use your noggin!

look at what's in the house you're in at the minute and what you make use of and will need.

simple.
    city_boy wrote:
    It's easy to forget you will need a TV license for your new place. Although most of us resent it, it's not worth the £1,000 fine.
    Do you working for TV Licencing perchance?
    use your noggin!

look at what's in the house you're in at the minute and what you make use of and will need.

simple.
    Ah but if you live with your mum, she might use loads of things you've never heard of, like that thing on the end of the hoover with the bristles.
    Kentish wrote:
    Do you working for TV Licencing perchance?

No, just saying it's one of those fines you don't want to be lumbered with. Although, as a license is about £135 (?) alot of people do risk the fine as they reckon the chance of getting caught is small in comparison to the fine.
    city_boy wrote:
    No, just saying it's one of those fines you don't want to be lumbered with. Although, as a license is about £135 (?) alot of people do risk the fine as they reckon the chance of getting caught is small in comparison to the fine.
    Which it is.
    Kentish wrote:
    Which it is.

Although, I don't think it's a chance I would take. Nowadays, with so many people owning a tv set, it must be easier for the authorities to find those that do not pay. And it's not even worth trying your luck if you're living on campus as that's where you're most likely to get caught.
    If you live in halls, just tell them to go forth and multiply when they come calling. It'll take them more than the nine months you're there to get round to visiting.

Besides, they'd never fine you on the spot cos they'd need a warrant to get into the property, so you'd have plenty of warning to get a licence if you really needed one.
    My friend at work bought a TV and within 3 hours the licence man had come round and asked to see thier licence and they had barely got it out of the box.
    Wyetry wrote:
    My friend at work bought a TV and within 3 hours the licence man had come round and asked to see thier licence and they had barely got it out of the box.
    Crikey. :eek:

Aren't you supposed to tell them your address and postcode when you buy a TV these days so they can check the database? That might explain it.

Of course if you're taking a TV from home to halls then it's a different matter.
    Yep. We sell TVs at work (don't buy them, they're shite) and the customer has to fill in a form that we then send off.
    Yep. We sell TVs at work (don't buy them, they're shite) and the customer has to fill in a form that we then send off.

What? All TVs are shite or just the ones you sell? Where do you work?
    I work in the Co-op, and the TV's we sell frequently get returned because they are rubbish.

Reason enough, or would you like more detail?
    just have a jaunt round one of the big supermarkets, like those that dont sell just food - stuff like crockery and that can be really cheap
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Hollie,

Good luck with the move! It can take a while to acquire all the things you need to make your new place feel cozy, but don't worry - friends and family will no doubt help you out - if you have a house warming people might even bring you gifts :)

You probably need to consider the essentials for the first few weeks and then build from there...

Do you have kettle, toaster, microwave, toiletries, basic cleaning products, plenty of food (very important :D ) You don't mention whether it's rented accomodation? Sometime the landlord will supply basic appliances and oven, fridge freezer so it's important to check what you already have.

Finally, don't forget household insurance. Again if you're renting this maybe already sorted, but if not it's important to look into it :)
    Free stuff

Check out Freecycle to see if there is a group in your area. People advertise stuff they don't want any more and you can have it for free as long as you pick it up. You can get all sorts of stuff that will be useful for your new place. Congratulations buy the way and Good luck.