Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Klintock thread

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how come klintock was banned?
    See Seekers thread for all that.
    this threads getting quite long for a guy who didn't exist.
    Not at all on topic either. :p
    muse- wrote:
    how come klintock was banned?
    Simply because he derailed my_name's thread about the language of the USA. Jim V deleted most of what was said, and warned Klintock. He replied saying "ach, ban me already". So, Jim did as requested. I don't really have an opinion on the banning either way.
    Just so that I can get some closure on this, because I'm really getting uptight.

It seems that not only can I not be certain that my town, county and country exists, I've never met any of you and therefore I'm not sure if I am talking to myself here or not.

My question is, how can I be sure that I exist? I mean, "I think therefore I am" is fine but what if I only think that I am thinking?
    Just so that I can get some closure on this, because I'm really getting uptight.

It seems that not only can I not be certain that my town, county and country exists, I've never met any of you and therefore I'm not sure if I am talking to myself here or not.

My question is, how can I be sure that I exist? I mean, "I think therefore I am" is fine but what if I only think that I am thinking?
    That's kind of a different point though. There, you are questioning whether the physical world as you know it exists. If you take the starting point that the physical world does exist (which you have ascertained based on what your senses are telling you) you then have to ask what exists within that physical world, and what is a construct of the human mind. Sure the land itself exists, but do the borders, the cultures, the government exist? If human beings all dies out tomorrow, none of these things would exist, only the physical world would remain. They are therefore, a product of the human mind. The question is simply whether these products of the human mind are a useful creation or not?
    That was tongue in cheek ;)

As for the subject, of course these are human contructs, but that doesn't mean that they do not exist - just that they are artificial and can therefore be changed providing enough people agree and are able to educate those who don't.

Problem for klintock was that we all accept the existance of countries and Govts etc and are happy to live within those ideals.

Why?

Because we also believe that such contructs bring benefits - usually in the economies of scale approach. What is interesting, and what he never seemed to accept, is tha tthese things didn't just "happen", each element evolved because humans seemed to want it. We bandied together in social groups for protection etc and we elected leaders (or might made right) to take us forward. Ultimately this leads us to where we are now.

I certainly prefer it to anarchy.
    That was tongue in cheek ;)
    I knew that. :blush: :impissed:
    As for the subject, of course these are human contructs, but that doesn't mean that they do not exist - just that they are artificial and can therefore be changed providing enough people agree and are able to educate those who don't.
    Well the argument was that they don't exist in the physical world, which is true.

What I consider the main problem with countries, is that there is no opt out. You (and indeed most people) believe that they are beneficial to people as a whole, but if you don't there is no choice to remove yourself from the system.
    Yes there is. It's hard but it can be done and often is being done.

You just don't get the benefits and 99% of people are unlikely to want to live with that.

Even klintock was a hypocrite in that sense.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    He's been banned, can we drop it now.
    What did he get banned for?
    Yeah. He only half believed what he was saying because he happily took money from the NHS (a made up government institution) to make a bit of cash for himself, but would then come up with bizarre reasons why he shouldn't be paying tax, and coming up with hypothetical arguments to present to a magistrate when summonsed.
    Kentish wrote:
    You two do my head in. I can never remember which one's which.
    He's from the other side of the Medway.
    Kentish wrote:
    He's from the other side of the Medway.

That should read correct side :p

Of course, the fact that we are both involved in health just adds to the confusion I guess...
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Erm, can we just make this a thread for commemorating him now?

He made a good point, but then it got old, and we had established, it was true. He bought it up all the time instead of debating other matters, and, meh.

Long live his legacy, I guess.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    He's not dead, you know. :p
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Long live his legacy, I guess.
    there are no such things as countries blah blah fucking blah ...

a legacy!

we used to discuss that stuff in my last year at primary.
    klintock behaved as if he's discovered some new and fantastic fucking truth ...

the guy was the ultimate fucking bore.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    He's not dead, you know. :p

TheSite's hit squad doesn't mess about when they ban people you know! :nervous:

Rolly, I was taking the piss :p He pointed out something irrelvant yet "Oh, yeah". It is going to change nothing at all. It was just an interesting quirk that got old quickly.

Ah well. He's gone... who'll be next to arrive with the list of odd fellows? Rich Kid, someone I forgot who was much the same, Klintock... hmm.

Although, we do have Dis already.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

ok.

klint ...if your reading this ...and i know you will be ...i would have loved to have had a night on the tiles with you ...but in MY local.
    full of crusty old farmers and retired hippys.

i can see klint holding court in sods corner.
    none of it's real man ...none of it.
    don't believe a word of it ...it's all an illusion ...
    your farms don't exist and the price of eggs shouldn't only be exchanged for paper money man!

rolly ...take him in the other room with the tokers.

i don't need drugs man ...none of it's real anytime in my world ...
    home time ...lets get a taxi ....

i hope you don't let murderers ride in your taxi mate ...it shouldn't be allowed.

watch out ...the baddies are coming with clubs and guns and finacial penalties cos you didn't pretend it wasn't real!¬
    arrrrggghhhh¬

klint ...RIP mate ...some good memories.
    ok.

klint ...if your reading this ...and i know you will be ...i would have loved to have had a night on the tiles with you ...but in MY local.
    full of crusty old farmers and retired hippys.

i can see klint holding court in sods corner.
    none of it's real man ...none of it.
    don't believe a word of it ...it's all an illusion ...
    your farms don't exist and the price of eggs shouldn't only be exchanged for paper money man!

rolly ...take him in the other room with the tokers.

i don't need drugs man ...none of it's real anytime in my world ...
    home time ...lets get a taxi ....

i hope you don't let murderers ride in your taxi mate ...it shouldn't be allowed.

watch out ...the baddies are coming with clubs and guns and finacial penalties cos you didn't pretend it wasn't real!¬
    arrrrggghhhh¬

klint ...RIP mate ...some good memories.

Word... may that be how we remember Klint!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Word... may that be how we remember Klint!
    thats how i remember him.
    i had some industrial painkillers earlier ...i'm lying in bed and my mouth is dry my eyes won't close my cracks sweating and ...i'm thinking klintock klintock klintock!

maybe i should go to the health forum and ask about nervous breakdowns.
    thats how i remember him.
    i had some industrial painkillers earlier ...i'm lying in bed and my mouth is dry my eyes won't close my cracks sweating and ...i'm thinking klintock klintock klintock!

maybe i should go to the health forum and ask about nervous breakdowns.

Ehh... mym um had some of them. She stopped taking them 'cos they messed with her head. She seems fine on normal ones now though.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Ehh... mym um had some of them. She stopped taking them 'cos they messed with her head. She seems fine on normal ones now though.
    :D oh lordy ...
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah. He only half believed what he was saying because he happily took money from the NHS (a made up government institution) to make a bit of cash for himself, but would then come up with bizarre reasons why he shouldn't be paying tax, and coming up with hypothetical arguments to present to a magistrate when summonsed.

A BIG difference there :eek:

I assume Klintock provided his services on a voluntary basis i.e. if those people chose not to deal with him they could say no and could walk away without threats from Klintock.

The paying of tax is an "offer" you cannot refuse if you "choose" to live.

BTW those hypotheticals to which you refer are "real" ;)
    Yes there is. It's hard but it can be done and often is being done.

You just don't get the benefits and 99% of people are unlikely to want to live with that.

I agree with you there,much to my disdain.My believe is that it occurs because those people are content because the violent is out of view.

If I told you, Mok, that in order to fund the health services that you work with, you had to collect those funds yourself, from anyone you chose to, and with as much violence and weapons as you needed, would you ?
    \
    seeker wrote:
    A BIG difference there :eek:

I assume Klintock provided his services on a voluntary basis i.e. if those people chose not to deal with him they could say no and could walk away without threats from Klintock.

The paying of tax is an "offer" you cannot refuse if you "choose" to live.

BTW those hypotheticals to which you refer are "real" ;)
    No, you miss the point. If he's willing to receive tax money to pay for his services then he is accepting the fact that taxes are used to pay for the health services (via threats and violence).
    As far as I remember, he never actually made a claim to leading a moral life, he just wanted everyone to acknowledge the fact that services are paid for by threats of violence. :p

Oh and I watched Fahrenheit 9/11 last night (minus the first 30 minutes). That's a good film. Just thought I'd mention it.
    You don't think it slightly hypocritical that the money he took for his services, on a "voluntary basis", had been "stolen" from other people through taxation? You know, if you're going say you're against theft, then surely it's wrong to enter into a voluntary exchange with the theives for your own gain?

If he's so anti taxation because it's theft, to live a moral life how can he justify to himself benefitting from that system? It's quite obviously hypocritical.

For one,the "system" to which you refer IS corrupt and imposed on you. "Legal tender" :shocking:

Those pieces of paper with ink on that you use day in,day out.

Try using your own medium of exchange and ermmm get shot. :eek2:

I only speak for myself so I won`t attempt to justify Klintock`s morals. However, I wouldn`t see it as hypocritical if a slave on a plantation took food and shelter off the "slave owner" who kindly provided it. I would however condemn the concept of slavery.