Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I think I need a life coach - anyone tried one?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I need a life coach - anyone tried one?

It's because progress in my life: careers and relationships has stopped advancing.

Some background about my situation:

I'm considering some sort of career change.
I'm grateful for my well paid job but I've been in the same industry (electronics/software) for several years and I feel I've grown out of it. It's an ever changing industry. But it doesn't inspire me to be within it because I find it unrewarding to immerse myself in technical detail and decipher the ever changing complex company organisation structures I work within. I've fulfilled some passions through voluntary work outside work but this is not enough and I often can't wait to get out of work to do these things.
I don't think I have enough passion for my paid job. There aren't any opportunities to change within my job - it's all the same sort of thing on a different project. There's no point asking my boss for a change because at the end of the day it's not in his interest to encourage me to leave his department as he is losing a staff member which means his goals are harder to achieve. This is not helped by the fact that they have a hiring freeze - they are not recruiting, they cannot employ new people due to lack of money.

I want to do some of the voluntary stuff as a paid job. I'd also like to keep my software skills going but in a different way to now. I want a more people orientated job where I meet new people often. For example, I love training people and have had success with several people in the voluntary work I do.

I don't feel completely free - I am independent - I have my own place and mortgage so I'm not sure how free I can be. I suppose I could rent it out and live somewhere cheaper or share a place - but I feel that would be a step backwards. I've done the experience of living in a shared house and lodging and I like my own space. Does it have to be a choice between good quality living space and doing a job one really loves? A well paid job for me is one that pays me enough to live happily. I'm not too materialistic - fancy cars etc. aren't my thing. I'm a bit of a purposeful purchaser when it comes to buying things.

I've listened to family and friends enough, perhaps too much, so I now need someone neutral.

I can't go on like this anymore. Something will go badly wrong otherwise.

Anyone recommend a lifecoach or equivalent to help? Have you tried one? How did it work out?

Comments

• Options
    I don't get it. what do you want a life coach for?

Coincidentally, there's one who started posting on these boards a couple of days ago. Goes by Doug I think. You could give him your money for... whatever it is they do.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I don't get it. what do you want a life coach

You've reminded me of a point I didn't raise: what's the point of life coaches? Why can't people achieve things on their own? But then, consider sports people - they have coaches. Why not for other professions?

I'm looking for ways to advance. Life coaches is one option to try. Other approaches I'm taking are posting on this board :) and writing several different CVs for the different types of work I'd like to do.

But I think a life coach might be able to give:

Some impartial advice on my current situation - new ideas/techniques to try out that make me happier currently

Some advice on my next direction - advice, tips, plan.
  • Options
    You've reminded me of a point I didn't raise: what's the point of life coaches? Why can't people achieve things on their own?
    because poeple are weak. :p
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    because poeple are weak. :p

I don't think that seeking advice is a weakness.

Think of how many people we all rely upon, for example your lecturers at Staffordshire University. You couldn't get your degree without them. That's not a weakness.

Advice is what I think life coaches offer. Whether it is good advice or not is another thing though.

My questions are: has anyone used life coaches and if yes did they find them useful? I'd like to know before I consider using one.
  • Options
    i think if you cant find the advice you are looking for from the people around you, then going to a life coach might be a sensible option

though ive always heard horror stories about them charging for pretty much sod all
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,

Judging by what's written in TheSite's article about getting a new job you definitely sound like you could do with moving on. So have a read of our article on life coaches and hopefully it will help you decide whether or not you really want one and if the answer's 'yes' then the 'next steps' section of the article may well help you find one - good luck :)
  • Options
    I don't think that seeking advice is a weakness.

Think of how many people we all rely upon, for example your lecturers at Staffordshire University. You couldn't get your degree without them. That's not a weakness.

the only expert on you... is yourself.
    as for my lecturers - thats teaching a topic. not giving out lifestyle advice.
This discussion has been closed.