Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

period pains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am in pure agony, im on the yasmin pill, thinking of coming off it as it has made my periods unbearable. ive taken some feminax but its still not done any good. has anyone got any other suggestions to try and make the pain go away?

Comments

• Options
    Try 2 tabs of ibuprofen. Hot water bottle for the cramps.
  • Options
    i have a hot water bottle. arent the feminax meant to be stronger than the ibuprofen?
  • Options
    Does it hurt constantly, or on and off? When mine were really bad the only thing that worked was to sleep through them, as well as paracetemol and a hot water bottle.
  • Options
    aww hope you feel better soon!!! i too suffer from agonizing period pain and its awful.

usually when i have it i usually have a hot bath. maybe try that. the hot water usually helps take the cramp away.

i also take some pill... but i cant for the life of me think of its name right now!
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    i have a hot water bottle. arent the feminax meant to be stronger than the ibuprofen?
    Depends what you mean by stronger. Feminax has got paracetamol and codeine, but brufen is a different type of drug. It's an NSAID, and the best NSAID for period pains is mefanamic acid, but that's a prescription only drug so ibuprofen will have to do.
  • Options
    So is it safe to take them at the same time? I know you can overlap with paracetamol and ibroprufen, but is it ok with codeine as well?
  • Options
    Yeah I used to take ibuprofen, it does the job.
  • Options
    the pain has more or less been constant for the last 2 days, i cant have a nice soak in the bath as im in student accomadation and only have shower, im gonna go for one in a min and see if that helps, tried havin a nap, but cant sleep
  • Options
    So is it safe to take them at the same time? I know you can overlap with paracetamol and ibroprufen, but is it ok with codeine as well?
    Yeah, no interactions there. The worst thing about codeine is that it causes constipation, which is not good for tummy pain.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who finds that ibuprofen does nothing when it comes to period pains? The last time I had it, it made me feel worse...
  • Options
    Have you tried walking about a bit or stretching, I know its probably the last thing you want to do but sometimes going for a walk can help with the cramps.
  • Options
    Have you tried walking about a bit or stretching, I know its probably the last thing you want to do but sometimes going for a walk can help with the cramps.

think ive got some ibroprofen hangin around somewhere... ive been to work this afternoon so ive had a walk and stuff, its not made any difference apart from wanting to come home the whole time i was there
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    think ive got some ibroprofen hangin around somewhere... ive been to work this afternoon so ive had a walk and stuff, its not made any difference apart from wanting to come home the whole time i was there

Aww I feel for you, I had a few months of really bad pains. I used to drink hot water with slices of lemon too. I cant think of anything else apart from getting a hug from someone, that used to help me...
  • Options

I'm sometimes in so much pain that walking (or any movement) is the last thing I want to do...
  • Options
    Aww I feel for you, I had a few months of really bad pains. I used to drink hot water with slices of lemon too. I cant think of anything else apart from getting a hug from someone, that used to help me...

yeah im like that lol, its better when my boyfriends here coz he just gently rubs my belly and that does wonders, but he's at work till midnight :grump:
  • Options
    If you can face it try 20 sit ups. They may kill at the time but seem to improve things afterwards.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i swear by deep heat..or anything similar. it keeps the area warm and on the inside too. its great. also there is a yoga position called the cat which helps me a lot. its slow so i dont feel like i am doing exercise. i hope that helps, period pains are the worst!!
  • Options
    sorry to hear you're struggling with pain ((hug)) <----have a hug from me.

i found that brufen did nothing for my cramps, too. i use Syndol tablets they're quite strong paracetamol and codeine mix, but they have a muscle relaxant in them too which i find helps heaps. don't take them on an empty tummy though, and make sure you have plenty water to drink when you take them. they will make you drowsy and sometimes make you very hungry too. but for me they work a treat.

love cavey
    xx
  • Options
    For when you're at work and a hot water bottle isn't practical, get some Lil-lets or Playtex (I think!) heat pads. They're thin pads, about 4"x5", that you stick to the inside of your knickers or directly onto the skin they cover (aka where you hold the hot water bottle!) which heat up. They last for about eight hours, so should see you though a day at work. They're a bit pricey - £4-5ish for three - but they do work!
  • Options
    For when you're at work and a hot water bottle isn't practical, get some Lil-lets or Playtex (I think!) heat pads. They're thin pads, about 4"x5", that you stick to the inside of your knickers or directly onto the skin they cover (aka where you hold the hot water bottle!) which heat up. They last for about eight hours, so should see you though a day at work. They're a bit pricey - £4-5ish for three - but they do work!

:yes: those are brill - they really help me too...really worth the money, they're very warm and comforting
  • Options

Hot water bottles and similat stuff never work for me. Most times in the past, I've just laid down adn done nothing. (And been told plenty of times for it...)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Hot water bottles and similat stuff never work for me. Most times in the past, I've just laid down adn done nothing. (And been told plenty of times for it...)
    Is it your mission in life to shit on every suggestion made in this thread? :confused:
  • Options
    Be careful with these though. I know they are good for some people but when I tried then the adhesive was so strong that it took my skin off in parts when i removed the thing- leaving it all scappy and sore! But I have since discovered I am allergic to a wide variety of adhesives, even the hypoallergenic one on micropore tape so that is probably why I had the problem with the lil-lets heated pad. But they don't come with a warning and I was in a lot of pain after wearing it for 8 hours and the scabs took a while to heal.
  • Options
    In fairness, why should they come with a warning?

Micropore doesn't, sticking plasters don't, sellotape doesn't why should anything else?
  • Options
    In fairness, why should they come with a warning?

Micropore doesn't, sticking plasters don't, sellotape doesn't why should anything else?
    Because they took the skin off my body? It was more than just a mild allergic reaction, it was as if the thing was so sticky that the only way to remove it meant taking off a thick layer of skin. If it was just a bit of skin it would not have bleed and scabbed as it did. It was not a risk I had considered before using the product and I went on holiday the week after and looked bad in my bikini due the scabbing.
  • Options
    I think the Lil-lets ones say stick it to your body and the Playtex ones say stick it to your knickers - they're both the same when you get them out of the packets anyway tho!
  • Options
    If you will stick very sticky things to yourself and not wonder about how they'll come off just before you go and holiday you can't only blame the manufacturer.
  • Options
    If you will stick very sticky things to yourself and not wonder about how they'll come off just before you go and holiday you can't only blame the manufacturer.
    Well I assumed they would peel off without damaging the skin as this is what they are apparently designed to do.
  • Options
    I normally sleep through it myself because nothing seems to work to get rid of the pain! Normally when I wake up, the pain isn't as bad.

If you can't sleep, try taking tablets. Hope the pain eases off! :(