Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cleaning GHDs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive had my GHDs for oooh, neigh on 2 years now and as you can imagine the plates are getting a bit manky, and sometimes i feel like theyre kinda dragging through my hair. ive looked on the net but couldnt find owt. how do you lovely people keep your straighteners clean?

Comments

• Options
    A wet paper towel?
    When its turned off.
  • Options
    i'd like to know please too!

but it's not my plates that are mucky it's the outsidey bit where i've got hairspray on them.

babywipes?
  • Options
    ive had mine for about 3 years and they arent dirty :eek2: how did u get em dirty?

but yeah i suggest a good hard scrub with a baby wipe when theyre off
  • Options
    With my ghds I used to find that actually giving them a wipe with an old towel or a tissue - CAREFULLY - when they're turned on was the best way, because the ming on the outside goes soft when they heat up so is easier to wipe off. I know that makes me sound like I have the skankiest hair ever, but actually just hairspray can leave a residue on the straighteners. (I honestly do wash my hair, I promise!)
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote:
    I know that makes me sound like I have the skankiest hair ever, but actually just hairspray can leave a residue on the straighteners. (I honestly do wash my hair, I promise!)

hahah nah thats what mine is like an all!! but like the scabby bits on mine are hard, i had to scrape them off a wee while ago but i got a bit terrifed in case i gubbed the plate.
  • Options
    Mine get a bit dirty too. Hair products and colour make them look :yuck:

I normally get a face wipe and when the GHD's are still warm I wipe them with it. Seems to work.
  • Options
    A babywipe while they are warm, maybe after you've just used them.

Watch they arent too hot though or the wipe will melt.
  • Options
    Was at toni n guys earlier, asked the stylist. He said he doesn't clean his, usually if theyre a bit manky he switches em on so theyre warm first then brushes em down with a slightly tamp tea towel.
  • Options
    jenni30 wrote:
    ive had mine for about 3 years and they arent dirty :eek2: how did u get em dirty?
    Haha that's what I was thinking.

I don't use hair products or hairsprays so I guess that might be why...

Ilora x
  • Options
    I've yet to have a hair product that I use a couple times before getting mad at my stupid hair, giving up and throwing them away... Now I'm afraid that if (big if) I do use one enough when I go to clean it I'll remember the when its warm but, but end up scalding my hand, burning the cleaner onto the thing, watching it fall to the floor, it will hit the counter edge so it will break in half so the hot plate can land, first on my foot, melting my sock to me, then in the end landing on the floor, burning the carpet... maybe starting the house on fire :p
  • Options
    Haha that's what I was thinking.

I don't use hair products or hairsprays so I guess that might be why...

Ilora x
    Don't you use hair serums or heat protection of any sort?
  • Options
    Yeah I use heat defence spray on wet hair, and blow dry it, then straighten it - so there's no gunk or anything.... and I don't use serums or anything like that.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Surley heat defense spray is considered a "hair product" *and* a "hairspray?"
  • Options
    Not in my eyes. Hairspray is to hold hair into a style and creates a buildup.
    The heat protector spray doesn't build up, it dries into the hair, not covers it.

Ilora x