Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Possible Tory Voters!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can I just remind everyone that knocks this Government. Yes they make mistakes, yes they get it wrong, yes they could do better, but they are better than any oposition this country has!

Remember the Thatcher years or if you're not old enough look it up!!

3,000,000 + unemployed
15% + interest rates
Demise of our Coal Industry
The Poll Tax
Riots
Over privatisation and overt corruption
Crime Rates Doubled
Divisiveness of the North - South Divide in Wealth
Relentless bullying of the BBC

I could go on, lets never ever go back to those days!!

THINK BEFORE YOU VOTE!!!!

Comments

• Options
    So you've proven that they're all as shit, corrupt and generally scummy as each other. Remind me why to vote again?
  • Options
    *Yawn*

Boring...Thatcher Government again and again! She is old and she is not the leader of the Party. Maybe we should remember the Winter of Discontent that was so long ago before we think about voting Labour again, they were the party who let it get out of control, oh wait a second...they changed, like all parties.

Get a brain cell Garp!
  • Options
    We are still experiencing the demise of industry, we still pay tax (our tax liability is greater than the Tory years), there is still rioting in the streets, nationalised industries are being privatised and the biggest employer - the NHS - is being slowly eroded under the guise of "choice", we still have crime, the South is still richer than the North, and the BBC is still controlled by government cronies.

Some say our high employment economy is due to supply side effects of the Thatcher years. And let's face it, interest rates haven't been 15% for decades.

So how about changing the record?
  • Options
    My god, this is dull. May I remind people that Margaret Thatcher's been out of office for 16 years. And Labour is still going on about her. The way some ministers go on about her, you'd think they had some kind of fetish to the last Tory government. Just because New Labour is equally rubbish, they have to keep dragging all this up. Change the record already!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    My god, this is dull. May I remind people that Margaret Thatcher's been out of office for 16 years. And Labour is still going on about her. The way some ministers go on about her, you'd think they had some kind of fetish to the last Tory government. Just because New Labour is equally rubbish, they have to keep dragging all this up. Change the record already!

I just said that, like 2 posts ago.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I just said that, like 2 posts ago.
    Labour have been repeating what they say about Thatcher for 16 years. What's one more repeat from the other side?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    we still pay tax
    (our tax liability is greater than the Tory years)
    Are you saying paying tax is bad? or that its higher than in the past?

By liability, do you mean the TAX as a percentage?

or as an amount?
    In which case inflation might be the cause.
  • Options

or as an amount? In which case inflation might be the cause.
    I don't know about taxation during the Tory years, but what I do know is the amount taken out of my pay cheques does seem rather high at the moment. Inflation is a useless measure. What prices actually rise in line with inflation, anyway?
  • Options

or as an amount?
    In which case inflation might be the cause.
    Taxation for its own sake is bad, yes. But taxes aren't bad in principle.

As a proportion of income, taxes under Labour have increased.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't know about taxation during the Tory years, but what I do know is the amount taken out of my pay cheques does seem rather high at the moment. Inflation is a useless measure. What prices actually rise in line with inflation, anyway?
    RPI
  • Options
    Garp1965 wrote:
    Can I just remind everyone that knocks this Government. Yes they make mistakes, yes they get it wrong, yes they could do better, but they are better than any oposition this country has!

What are you on about? That sentence is so badly phrased. I assume that you’re saying that the present Labour government has been better than any Conservative government? To say the present government is ‘better than any oposition’ (it’s opposition) doesn’t really make sense, how can you compare this government in power to say the supposed Labour opposition in the 80s that never got into power? And the present opposition has never been in power, most of the senior figures in the Shadow Cabinet have not served in government before.
    Garp1965 wrote:
    Remember the Thatcher years or if you're not old enough look it up!!

Thatcher is Britain’s greatest post-war Prime Minister. The crumbling second world country that Thatcher inherited from a criminally incompetent Labour government looked like it was in terminal decline. The Labour government prior to Thatcher wrecked Britain; they hurt the economy so badly that they were forced to beg the International Monetary Fund for loans. They let communist infested trade unions govern Britain – you ever heard of the winter of discontent? No burials for several weeks, gravediggers striking. Rubbish piling up on the streets, binmen on strike. No petrol, tank drivers on strike. No trains, train drivers on strike. Labour ‘Prime Minister’ James Callaghan’s response? ‘Crisis? What crisis?’ :lol:
    Garp1965 wrote:
    I could go on, lets never ever go back to those days!!

THINK BEFORE YOU VOTE!!!!

Yawn. The Conservatives are now narrowly leading Labour in the polls. Brown is unpopular in England, most people in England don’t even agree with the very idea of there being a Scottish Prime Minister. Brown is especially unpopular in Southern England. And as the Conservatives local election results show people are going back to the Conservatives. Labour’s days are numbered. The Conservatives will be back in power soon. :D
  • Options
    The Conservatives are now narrowly leading Labour in the polls. Brown is unpopular in England, most people in England don’t even agree with the very idea of there being a Scottish Prime Minister. Brown is especially unpopular in Southern England. And as the Conservatives local election results show people are going back to the Conservatives. Labour’s days are numbered. The Conservatives will be back in power soon. :D
    I too will be glad to see Labour cast back to opposition once more. My concern, however, is that Cameron will not be different enough to the current government.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Labour have been repeating what they say about Thatcher for 16 years. What's one more repeat from the other side?

And Labour still act in a Tory way! They still do some things the same as Thatcher ffs.

It's about time the two main parties stopped being arses and gave us two ideologies to chose between! Then the voters might stop being dissilusioned and bother!