Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

skin problem

In the last few days my skin seems to have really flared up. It started with my lips feeling numb and tingley and then going really dry - now my face around chin, nose and top of mouth is really dry and itchy and bright red, flakey and spotty. It looks hideous and I feel like a leper.
I dont know what it could be, but its probably down to the stress of the miscarriage and im wondering if its hormonal too, but ive never had anything like this before, even when ive had lots of stress and lots of hormones, but thats the only thing i can really think may have caused it.
Lip balm doesnt help - it just sits on top and makes it feel worse. moisturisers dont seem to be particularly soothing, apart from a nice chamomile one my mum uses for her eczema and its soothed it a little, but tbh, it seems to be getting worse rather than better.
Does anyone have any idea what I could do? If i go to the doctor is there likely to be anything they can give me or will they just give me E45 or some such shit. Im pissed off cos going to france on thursday and I look like if got scabies :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi
    my skin is really sensitive, I use Dermalogica but its expensive, I use E45 and wash with aqueous cream, I've been to the Dr's with mine before and for when its bad I've got a cortisone cream (lower strength) you can't get it at the chemist cos its for the face but my Dr said its ok and rarely use it might be worth going to see if you can get some to clear it up cos it does
    Good luck
    you can buy aqueous cream over the counter. If you wash with that, or put it on before you wash then it should stop your skin getting any drier.

I get very dry skin on my face as a side effect of a cream I use. Vaseline is the best on lips, it stops them getting worse if nothing else and then aqueous cream or E45 type thing on the rest of it.
    Get some of this stuff and try it - it stinks cos it's got cod liver oil in it but I reckon t works well, most chemists stock it

morhulin.jpg
    my skin isnt usually particularly sensitive though. its just something thats come on in the last few days. Ive got a feeling if i use aqueous cream it will make it worse, because the skin has gone rough and flakey and swollen ikwim, rather than just a bit dry. I think if i use aqueous, it will sit on top, much like the lipbalm does on my lips at the moment.
    I might go to the doctors on monday anyway cos its bright red and a bit swollen.
    I wonder if any of the medical folk here know whether a rash like that could be a symptom of something else?
    I NEVER get ill usually, I dont get eczema, my skin isnt usually dry. Im worried its something to do with the MC even though its not in the same area obviously.
    Am I being paranoid?
    my skin isnt usually particularly sensitive though. its just something thats come on in the last few days. Ive got a feeling if i use aqueous cream it will make it worse, because the skin has gone rough and flakey and swollen ikwim, rather than just a bit dry. I think if i use aqueous, it will sit on top, much like the lipbalm does on my lips at the moment.
    I might go to the doctors on monday anyway cos its bright red and a bit swollen.
    I wonder if any of the medical folk here know whether a rash like that could be a symptom of something else?
    I NEVER get ill usually, I dont get eczema, my skin isnt usually dry. Im worried its something to do with the MC even though its not in the same area obviously.
    Am I being paranoid?

nah best to get it checked out if your unhappy otherwise you'll worry! I know when I've been to the Dr's and explained I was worried they were fine, I just remembered a few years back my skin was really dry especially on my chin and I went in to Boots and asked advice they said use aqueous cream with a buffing sponge gently then put baby oil on after it, i think it did work
    For your lips try Blistex I find its the best for tingly lips
    I'd just get it checked out hun. It could be to do with the stress and/or hormones like you said or it could be some sort of skin thing you've randomly developed.
    Have you recently started any new medication, prescribed or OTC?
    no, but this morning its even worse and my face has swelled up including my eyes.
    im gonna nip down to the walk in centre in a minute.
    olive oil is usually good for dry skin complaints. ;)
    i was going to say psoriasis, maybe its a bad allergic reaction?
    Ballerina wrote:
    maybe its a bad allergic reaction?
    :yes:
    thats what the nurse practitioner said this morning. I had my mum on the phone this morning telling me she thought maybe I had septicemia :rolleyes: because my nana got that after her miscarriage. So of course I was a bit freaked out, and with my eyes all swelled up and everything, went down to the walk in centre where they said it was more likely to be an allergic reaction and nothing to do with the miscarriage. He suggested it could be my hair dye as i dyed my hair last week - although I always dye my hair every 6 weeks usually and have never had a reaction before, but you never know.
    yeh you can start reacting with stuff you use all the time, I did with my eye make up remover had been using it for years and it was for sensitive skin and my eyes doubled in size I looked awful (worse than normal)
    leat you have it sorted
    thats what the nurse practitioner said this morning. I had my mum on the phone this morning telling me she thought maybe I had septicemia :rolleyes: because my nana got that after her miscarriage. So of course I was a bit freaked out, and with my eyes all swelled up and everything, went down to the walk in centre where they said it was more likely to be an allergic reaction and nothing to do with the miscarriage. He suggested it could be my hair dye as i dyed my hair last week - although I always dye my hair every 6 weeks usually and have never had a reaction before, but you never know.
    there was a woman on the news just the other day who's face swelled up after a reaction to hair dye....it's odd how it can just happen. My mum suddenly got hay fever this year and she's never had it before in her life.
    im wondering though - surely if it was a reaction to hairdye, it would have been worse when i dyed my hair, and getting better now. This seems to be getting worse. ive had 3 antihistamines today which have done bugger all tbh (2 cetirizine and 1 clorphenamine)
    the itching is now spreading under my chin, chest and some on my thigh.
    I dont have any on my scalp (which i would have thought would be the worst if it was a hairdye reaction) My eyes are still swollen.
    im wondering though - surely if it was a reaction to hairdye, it would have been worse when i dyed my hair, and getting better now. This seems to be getting worse. ive had 3 antihistamines today which have done bugger all tbh (2 cetirizine and 1 clorphenamine)
    the itching is now spreading under my chin, chest and some on my thigh.
    I dont have any on my scalp (which i would have thought would be the worst if it was a hairdye reaction) My eyes are still swollen.

Yeah I was thinking that actually but allergies can be a bit weird in where they strike. Have you changed anything else recently like face wash or bubble bath? It might be severe hayfever. Maybe you are getting more of a reaction because of the stress you have been under recently, your body is probably really run down too. Hope it clears up soon. x
    If it gets any worse tommorow seek a second opinion.
    Tweety wrote:
    If it gets any worse tommorow seek a second opinion.

And Suzy - as I've found in the past, allergies can take a while to come up. I found this a few weeks ago when I took ibruofen (sp?).
    If I remember rightly allergies don't happen the first time you come into contact with something, so they can develop over time.

The main example of allergies developing over time is to Latexi in the health care profession.