Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How important are looks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How important is appearance when it comes to fancying someone? Looks are the first thing that attracts someone and I guess if you haven't got the right look then you're never gonna attract anyone.
I would admit that I'm not that good-looking and I've never had a g/f but I'm fed up with people saying its all about "personality".

Comments

• Options
    I would never go out with someone stunning if i couldn't hold a conversation with them. I mean wheres the fun in that?

I know it sounds like a cliche but everyones gorgeous to someone.
  • Options
    Well personality can only go so far. As with looks.

You could be dating the hottest guy/girl in the world, but he/she's a dick/bitch. You could be dating the best personality ever, but also the ugliest person.

I don't think I'm pretty. I'm overweight. I have my days where I think I look pretty. But my boyfriend thinks I'm gorgeous/cute/sexy/beautiful all the time.

My friends don't think that Rich is attractive. However, all my net friends think he is a hot piece of ass, and he is so sexy to me. He fits my criteria of a hot guy. But he has a great personality too.

It all comes down to the individual
  • Options
    Not as important as personality, talent and status. Take our good friend Mick Hucknall here.

hucknall.jpg

Hardly blessed when it comes to looks. Ask the girls on this site whether they fancy him, and the answer would be a unanimous no. However, put them in a trendy wine bar, and get Mick Hucknall to approach them and it'll be a lot different. Their first thought would be "wow, it's Mick Hucknall, he's famous." This would be shortly followed by "wow, he can get any girl he wants, yet he's come to talk to me. That makes me feel so special." So they'd be willing to get into a conversation with him based on that. This is when his lizard-like charms come into play. If it turns out he's a twat, she won't want to know. If he's really charming and funny, she'll be willing to look past the fact that his face looks like it's been dipped in acid.
  • Options
    Been done recently.

Basically, looks are important yes, not the be all and end all. It's not all about personality either. Ugly people have fuck all chance of pulling usually, no matter how down to earth they are.
  • Options
    Just be yourself. Its deffinatley not all about looks, its about inner beauty. Someone who can make you laugh, someone you can have a decent conversation with. Talent is one thing thats very attractive, well too me it is. Ive been out with some good looking guys and you realise they tend to be quite shallow.I used to be quite shallow myself, but I think as you get a bit older you realise whats the point in going out with soimeone who might be nice too look at but you cant hold a conversation with them, they might even be a bit dull. But seriously it aint all about what you look like, its just an exterior isnt it!!
  • Options
    tatty wrote:
    its just an exterior isnt it!!

True but it does matter. Someone who's just a great person is usually seen as just a friend by the opposite sex, never usually a potential partner.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Been done recently.

Basically, looks are important yes, not the be all and end all. It's not all about personality either. Ugly people have fuck all chance of pulling usually, no matter how down to earth they are.
    I'd kinda agree with that. Depends what your defenition of pulling is though. If you mean pulling in the stranger in a club sense, then I'd agree, if you're not particularly outgoing either. But in the sense of pulling a friend of a friend, or at a party, or generally getting a girlfriend rather than just pulling, I'd say looks aren't as important, because then you can actually talk to someone without that "what the hell are YOU talking to ME for?" look.
  • Options
    Not true. My best mate...shes HOT, shes a lovely girl too sounds too good to be true but shes now going out with someone who she used to class as a 'mate'. She used to sing his praises and he is a lovely lovely bloke, she used to say how great he was etc but she never used to fancy him, his prsonality finally won her over and now theyre together and muchly into each other. It is about personallity at the end of the day :)
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    True but it does matter. Someone who's just a great person is usually seen as just a friend by the opposite sex, never usually a potential partner.
    Someone who's a great person is usually seen as a friend if they don't find them attractive. But looks aren't the only criterea for what a girl finds attractive.
  • Options
    tatty wrote:
    Not true. My best mate...shes HOT, shes a lovely girl too sounds too good to be true but shes now going out with someone who she used to class as a 'mate'. She used to sing his praises and he is a lovely lovely bloke, she used to say how great he was etc but she never used to fancy him, his prsonality finally won her over and now theyre together and muchly into each other. It is about personallity at the end of the day :)
    What did he do? Buy a Lexus by any chance? ;)
  • Options
    tatty wrote:

Is he boot ugly though? I mean, an average looking guy with the right personality can get the super hot girls everytime. Fat mingers won't, it sounds harsh but it's true.
  • Options
    Well yeah he is average looking, but hes not the type shed usually go for if you know what I mean. But he is lovely, proper nice fella.
  • Options
    i think there has to be an inital attraction between the 2 people.. if there wasnt i dont think a relationship would work out really.

i went on a couple of 'dates' a while back with a guy i met whilst clubbing (i was very drunk, didnt really remember what he looked like but went out with him anyway)

we got on reeeally really well and we had tons in common.. BUT i just was not attracted to him AT ALL. if i had to form a relationship with that guy based solely on personality i would have done, but there was nothing looks wise that attracted me to him which i personally find quite important.

the person doesnt have to be good looking per say, but.. there has to be SOMETHING about them that draws me to them in some way.. if that makes sense
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    i think there has to be an inital attraction between the 2 people.. if there wasnt i dont think a relationship would work out really.

we got on reeeally really well and we had tons in common.. BUT i just was not attracted to him AT ALL. if i had to form a relationship with that guy based solely on personality i would have done, but there was nothing looks wise that attracted me to him which i personally find quite important.

the person doesnt have to be good looking per say, but.. there has to be SOMETHING about them that draws me to them in some way.. if that makes sense

I agree with you. The problem I've got is that its my looks that probably put girls off before they can get to know my personality, so I never get a chance to impress. As for "inner beauty" ...................
  • Options
    Not as important as personality, talent and status. Take our good friend Mick Hucknall here.

hucknall.jpg

Hardly blessed when it comes to looks. Ask the girls on this site whether they fancy him, and the answer would be a unanimous no. However, put them in a trendy wine bar, and get Mick Hucknall to approach them and it'll be a lot different. Their first thought would be "wow, it's Mick Hucknall, he's famous." This would be shortly followed by "wow, he can get any girl he wants, yet he's come to talk to me. That makes me feel so special." So they'd be willing to get into a conversation with him based on that. This is when his lizard-like charms come into play. If it turns out he's a twat, she won't want to know. If he's really charming and funny, she'll be willing to look past the fact that his face looks like it's been dipped in acid.

Yeah but he's also ginger.

No win there.
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    I agree with you. The problem I've got is that its my looks that probably put girls off before they can get to know my personality, so I never get a chance to impress. As for "inner beauty" ...................

I'm not attractive and I've had partners in the past.

I think it's more about confidense and spark. I've been attracted to people that my mates don't think are very good looking, but I've liked them because they're passionate, or funny or smart.
    You know how someone's appearance can change the longer you know them? How a really attractive person, if you don't like them, can become more and more ugly; whereas someone you might not have even have noticed... that you wouldn't look at more than once, if you love them, can become the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. All you want to do is be near them.

A quote from the Truth About Cats and Dogs :)
  • Options
    You're probably right [MoonRat] but I've had to endure years of being without a g/f and its getting me down.
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    You're probably right [MoonRat] but I've had to endure years of being without a g/f and its getting me down.
    Look mate, I don't know what you look like and stuff... But if there's anything more of a turn off than poor hygene, it's somebody who's desperate.

Maybe you should use your time being single discovering yourself and finding something more to life than having a significant other (no offense, but you do seem down).
  • Options
    Yeah but he's also ginger.

No win there.
    *gasp* :impissed:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    *gasp* :impissed:

:p
  • Options
    It's about who you know, or something.
  • Options
    its important to me to find someone physically attractive.
    Its a good job not everyone has the same idea of physically attractive though or we`d all be going after the same people.
  • Options
    A quote from the Truth About Cats and Dogs :)

I love that film.

Damn, why do I like all these girly films? It's a good job I like action/sci-fi/horror films too or I'd be worried. :D
  • Options
    I think it's extremely important. About as important as personality itself. To me, being attractive is having both looks and personality and without both, I'm not interested.

I couldn't have a relationship with someone who wasn't physically attractive in my eyes; personality isn't enough on it's own.

Ilora x
  • Options
    I love that film.

Damn, why do I like all these girly films? It's a good job I like action/sci-fi/horror films too or I'd be worried. :D

I dunno, I hate girly films but love that.
  • Options
    I normally fall for a persons personality first, and then grow to love the way they look

But, you cant tell a persons personality straight away, whereas you can tell what they look like.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I normally fall for a persons personality first, and then grow to love the way they look

But, you cant tell a persons personality straight away, whereas you can tell what they look like.

and im a goon :(
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:

I agree with MoonRat. How old are you? I mean if you're only 18 with never a date, there are many people out there like that. You need to either show us a picture of how 'ugly' you really are, or get more confidence in yourself :yes:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    and im a goon :(

nah, i noticed your good looking straight away ;)

*waits for MrG's head to inflate...*
  • Options
    I'd say it's a bit important, like. I notice a lad's looks more than anything. But alas, I tend to fall more in love with personality after I get to know the lad with the sexual facial structure. ;)