Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anyone changed careers successfully?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My situation: Took wrong degree at Uni, ended up with a third in something I didn't much like (maths). Since then the only jobs I've been able to get are unsociable hours, minimum wage type jobs. And it's really about time I found myself something proper.

All the decent jobs seem to require years of experience and relevant qualifications. I.e. you seem to have to have known exactly what you wanted to do at 18, took courses I've never even heard of, and then somehow beaten the dreaded no experience barrier to get anywhere.

But if that's true then I'd have expected pretty much the entire population to be unemployed. :confused:

So surely there must be some decent jobs out there where they train you up. But I'll be damned if I can find 'em. Has anybody made it out of this trap? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    There are fuckloads of jobs that suit your ideas if you're prepared to slum it a bit, start at the bottom as an office junior or similar, and work your way up.

You don't need years of experience, you just need months of it temping, and you need to know how to word your CV well.

I got a poor(ish) degree at university, and I've slummed it in temping jobs as data entry clerks and the like. It depends what you want to do, really. If you don't mind office work its always easy to get work if you can spell and make tea.
  • Options
    Jack. You've got a maths degree. Respect :thumb:
  • Options
    I think I go with Kermit regarding starting low and working your way up to some extent. On the other hand, I recall being a Clerical Assistant for years then I paid my way through a distance learning course in computing. I managed to get my first programming job pretty easily after that and entered the world of Systems and Database Management just a couple of years later. It is all about focus and determination. The qualifications I achieved during the course simply opened a door to a fairly low programming position. I had zilch experience prior to that (other than on the old rubber key Spectrum!) The rest came with experience and fortune I guess as I have no degree or "recognized qualification" to suit the postions I managed to get. I would suggest focusing hard on what you want to achieve and go for it.