Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Confused about new job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently got offered a new job but have now had the salary through and all the details and i'm just confused inside about whether i want to take it and how it's going to leave me at the end.

It's 25 hours a week, working a shift rota with a well known airline but the pay is only 10k and the job offer is only a temporary six months with the possibility of a position at the end. This probably sounds a good deal, i don't know, but what really worries me is that a) i'd have to take a pay cut b) if i don't qualify for the permanent position i'm going to find myself in October with no job and plenty of bills that are going to be unpaid and c) working odd hours for not much money really.

All my friends who know are determined i should take it and cannot understand why i am doubtful but at the end of the day it's my future and my life that is going to be affected by it and my relationship with my partner. Part of me wants to do it and is saying don't be a coward but then my sensible side is saying hold off for something more suitable.

Gah i'm just confused :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thats still £7.69 an hour though. Not bad. Can't you work a few hours somewhere else to make up the money?
    Sounds like one of those naff deals that they give out when means that they can get around proper benefits by offering short fixed term contracts over and over. Is the job one that is popular so that other mugs will just take it if you don't?

Only you can really tell if it's worth your time taking the job or not, personally I think it sounds like you are not interested.
    I suspect Mist is dead on about the short term contract malarkey, to be honest.

I'm not sure what to advise. If you trust your instincts I think you'll make the right decision. :)
    Was there a particular reason why you applied for the job in the first place?
    rate of pay is quite good compared to what im on :)
    Wyetry wrote:
    Was there a particular reason why you applied for the job in the first place?

Because i'm just not that happy really and was feeling rather at a loss with what to do as i feel i've sort of reached the end of where i am now. I'm not learning anything new and just doing the same job day in day out.

With regard to what Mist has said, i think you're spot on to be fair. If i don't take it there will be plenty who would. It is a good rate of pay, if you're not working a shift basis from 5am until 1am at night (which i knew anyway). Just feel if the pay had been more i would have been able to at least save and put away quite a bit incase of no job at the end of October.
    At the end of the day, both the decision and the consequences will be yours. No-one can take that from you. Try and think beyond the salary to the job itself. Would the benefits of taking the new job outweigh the benefits of staying where you are? Maybe you could draw up lists on paper to compare them. There are a couple of major risk factors in taking the new job. Are you prepared to take them on board and simply see what happens? If not, what would need to be put in place to make that decision easier? Could such factors be put in place? If not, then how vague would your future appear for you? Too vague to take the post?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Is the 10K the actual salary you will get or the salary for full time?