Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Junk food to be banned in schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think about this?

Do schools really have vending machines with crisps and chocolate in? At my school we had one vending machine which gave out plastic cups of hot chocolate or orange juice.

I think it's a good thing although kids will still go to the sweet shop on the way to school.

I wish they would implement it in workplaces too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/education/4995268.stm

Comments

• Options
    This was the story that made me laugh.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:

Do schools really have vending machines with crisps and chocolate in? At my school we had one vending machine which gave out plastic cups of hot chocolate or orange juice.

Our high school NEVER had a vending machine. Only for sixth formers in their little sacred area, which admittedly did have some pop in, but alot of water, and fruit drinks as well.

Saying that, once I knew a few people in sixth form, they used to get me the drinks (normally the fruit drinks...) and leave them in places for me :D knew there was a reason my cousin was older than me :)

There are a total of 3 shops and one post office on the way to our school from the town as apposed to the villages that kids travelled from, but even then the buses that picked them up waited outside the local village newsagents. So I doubt this news would do anything in our area!
  • Options
    our school had a vending machine selling chocolate and stuff, and we also had a tuck shop selling crisps sweets and fizzy drinks. We could also go to the canteen at break and buy greasy sausage rolls, warm cheesy topped rolls, and slices of pizza.

mmmmmmm healthy!

Yes I think they should ban that shite in schools for sure.
  • Options
    Mmmm tuck shop :yum:

But yeah, I think it's a good idea to ban them. They're most definitely unnecessary and very tempting when you're at school in need of an energy boost. I do think that encouraging/"teaching" some degree of self-control would be a more positive way of going about things rather than banning this and that, but since even fully grown adults [like me] often have the hardest of times saying no to junk food I suppose that's never going to work on kids and teenagers.
  • Options
    children, as well as adults, in the uk are FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT FAT!

i think junk food should be banned at moment cos children in school are FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! although, like in the article, the ban might create a black market of junk food creating a new generation of entreprenuers and drug dealers.

perhaps the important question is, will this step actually help the larger picture? i think the ban is just another short sighted, visual, intstant gratifying tactic by thise in government to shut the parents up. just like with everything. and its not just the governments fault, but the people too.

i think its people dietary habits that need to be change. england has so much processed food. fry this, fry that. full of sugar and salt. full of fat. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!! i think a majority of people doesnt know how to cook. everyday, its eat chips and curry, pizza or kebab.

parents need to be educated about the importance of having proper family dinners. i think family dinners should be emphasised or included in family plannign courses, and perhaps have light culinary and recipe classes. some would argue that the decline of tradional family structures are part due to the decline of family dinners. encouraging family dinners may have two positive effects.

the food industry would also have to be dealt with. often the case is that it is more expensive to buy ingredients to cook a proper meal than to get 1£ chips at the nearest chines takeaway. its past the millenium and people are still eating world war rations.

i think there are better progressive options than simply banning certain foods in certain places. one of the biggest limitations in any project is resource. i think istead of banning food, it should be sold wherever, with exceptions, and much of the profit (99.99%) from sales should be diverted into social/food education.

perhaps the food industry should tax those that sell unhealthy food and the money would be subsidised to vegatbles and meat sold in markets. of course, the vendors that are vulnerable, for istance low profit makers, would have some exceptions.
  • Options
    up until i was in year 12 we had.. i think it was 4 vending machines in our school (with chocolate and crisps in them - we had about 3 more that had drinks and soup)

but then this healthy eating thing kicked in and the school got rid of all of them except for 2 drink ones.

i think its a good idea. in my case, the vending machines were the blame for all my weight increase (about 2 stone in under 2 years!! bad bad bad) so its good theyre not there any more so other kids wont do the same as me!!

i just ate stuff from them because the machines were there really!! not because i was hungry particularly..

i know that if we still had them they would be used a lot more than the caffeteria is. especially in my sisters' case. she eats looads (and is on the path to becoming quite big) so im glad for her sake that there is only healthy food for her to eat in school instead of just chocolate
  • Options
    We had a can machine. The cafeteria also sold chocolate and crisps (and when Walkers did those little blue bags, they wouldn't take your free packet of crisps voucher :mad: ). But other than the sandwiches, everything else was chips, sausage, pizza, pies, the usual crap. I don't see a problem with it. They're not banning people from bringing their own unhealthy things in, just the school from selling them, so if parents really want their kids to be eating crap, they still can.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:

I think it's a good thing although kids will still go to the sweet shop on the way to school.

Exactly.
    To prevent kids eating unhealthily we have to get rid of all the fast food outlets and shit...
    How many kids these days do you see in front of McDonalds just hanging out!!

Banning junk food in school is a step forward but it's not a long term solution.
    Better food education is needed by parents and schools....

But how are parents gonna teahc their kids when they know fuck all about it.

I agree with Iron Nic, people need to learn how to cook and have more family dinners and things like that.
    Everybody is either too damn lazy or too damn "busy".

And things like Coca Cola make it worse....
    Lets say we don't know that to make 1 litre of Coke they use 3 litres of water, it's the things they put in the drinks that should stop anyone drinking it....
  • Options
    But with things like McDonalds or the sweet shop, is that they have to make a conscious effort to go there. With school dinners, they don't have a choice. You;ve got to eat. If you don't have a packed lunch, then you have to have what's on offer. If that's nothing but junk food, then what can they do? And kids can't exactly be expected to make their own healthy choices.
  • Options
    But with things like McDonalds or the sweet shop, is that they have to make a conscious effort to go there. With school dinners, they don't have a choice. You;ve got to eat. If you don't have a packed lunch, then you have to have what's on offer. If that's nothing but junk food, then what can they do? And kids can't exactly be expected to make their own healthy choices.

Kids have much more nous these days then before, whether it's misguided that's another thing.
    I don't blame the kids, I blame the fast food outlets and the parents and their parents....
    We are talking about social responsibility in another thread, well it's the parents social responsibility to teach their kids the right things to do..
  • Options
    Our school had several pop and candy machines. They were only turned on before and after school. It wasn't so much for healthy reasons, it was so kids weren't eating food in classes, which wasn't allowed. I do believe parents need to teach their kids about healthy eating, but I don't think they should ban candy machines becasuse they don't. Everybody deserves a treat every now and then.
    Parents also need to teach their kids about self control. One snickers is fine, 5 a day is not. I don't believe banning snack machines is right or will help anything at all.

But then all hope of adults trying to get it right flys out the window when its only 11am and a woman at work has already bought 3 bags of crisps and 2 candy bars :\
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Parents also need to teach their kids about self control. One snickers is fine, 5 a day is not. I don't believe banning snack machines is right or will help anything at all.
    One easter I got a Mars easter egg which had gone off when I opened it. I sent it back to Mars, and they sent my £5 worth of Mars vouchers. Guess what I ate for dinner for the next few days? :D
  • Options
    One easter I got a Mars easter egg which had gone off when I opened it. I sent it back to Mars, and they sent my £5 worth of Mars vouchers. Guess what I ate for dinner for the next few days? :D

Cooked Lamb with a cherry glaze?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Everybody deserves a treat every now and then.

Maybe we should adopt the Pavlov's dog principles on children then...
    :D
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Cooked Lamb with a cherry glaze?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Maybe we should adopt the Pavlov's dog principles on children then...
    :D

We want kids to drool on command? I fail to see how thats even mildly related.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Better than them drolling involuntarily...
    ;)
    What I meant is if they eat their veggies and fruit, we reward them with a treat (candy bar or whatever)...
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Better than them drolling involuntarily...
    ;)
    What I meant is if they eat their veggies and fruit, we reward them with a treat (candy bar or whatever)...

Oh, I get ya. :) (its still early, not everything is registering yet, sorry)
    Good idea, lets call it dessert ;) :razz:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh, I get ya. :) (its still early, not everything is registering yet, sorry)
    Good idea, lets call it dessert ;) :razz:

Early?? It's like half past 11 in IL, isn't it?

(How many people actually bother to make proper dessert these days?)
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Early?? It's like half past 11 in IL, isn't it?

(How many people actually bother to make proper dessert these days?)

Thats early still! :p

I think more people should actually, now that you mention it. In the family situation though. We had desert at school but that hardly got kids to eat healthy as it was available after a certian time to anybody, they didnt' check your plate.

I remember growing up we would have dessert probably half the nights out of the week, whether they be hommade or something as simple as a few oreos. But we couldn't have desert if we didn't eat the meal properly. You had to eat at least a serving of the veggies and/or fruits and at least half of the main dish. Only then could you get it. Needless to say I always ate my green beans ;)
    And you definatly got an earfull if you were eating treats at nondessert times!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Thats early still! :p

I think more people should actually, now that you mention it. In the family situation though. We had desert at school but that hardly got kids to eat healthy as it was available after a certian time to anybody, they didnt' check your plate.

I remember growing up we would have dessert probably half the nights out of the week, whether they be hommade or something as simple as a few oreos. But we couldn't have desert if we didn't eat the meal properly. You had to eat at least a serving of the veggies and/or fruits and at least half of the main dish. Only then could you get it. Needless to say I always ate my green beans ;)
    And you definatly got an earfull if you were eating treats at nondessert times!

Half past eleven in the morning is not early. :shocking:
    I mean if it was the regular season and a Sunday in about 15 minutes there would be a tip off in the United Centre!!!

Thing about family dinners and desserts...
    There is no more sense of togetherness, the family feel is gone, especially here, I haven't been in the States for a while, so I can't tell, but it's almost like everyone is enveloped in their own little bubbles and they don't care for anyone else.
    Serious case of apathy in this country....
  • Options
    They've started banning junk food in our school as well. But they still sell burgers and chips.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    :lol::lol:
    I just spat, that made me laugh so much
  • Options
    its not junk food all together, its the ones with high fat content and the ones ful on E numbers sending the little ones hyper :shocking: , disruptive :banghead: and can't concentrate. :crazyeyes
    thats whats the problem with food these days.
    poor little ones.
    R