Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

PS3 £425... ouch.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17105
Sony Computer Entertainment UK MD Ray Maguire has revealed that PlayStation 3 will retail for GBP 425 when it launches in the UK on November 17th, but has defended the price point as "a bargain" for consumers.

considering the amount of people still using composite inputs on cheap tvs i think the inclusion of blu ray was daft but sony have to push (force) it on somebody right?

no 'cheap' model to be available in the uk, also works out to be $200 more expensive here than it is in the states. nice work, fuckers :yeees:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Isn't it just the same old same old of Rip Of Britain ? I say it is.

At the end of the day people will pay whatever Sony ask for it, with a little bit of thought and patience sure they could get it a bit cheaper but the die hard fan's wont wait.

£425 isnt a bargain for us either. What price are the games going to fall in at as well? Judging by the price of 360 games i'm going to hazzard a guess we;ll have to pay in that region if not more for ps3 games.

This angers me so much it has really put me off the ps3
    Pricey. But then they always are when they first come out. Probably wait a year or so after the release tbh. Certainly won't be buying a 360 though. Played my mate's one the other day, nothing special, and the game was glitchy as fuck as well. Seemed they punched above their weight.
    There's two versions and everyone will want the most expensive as there are some serious drawbacks to the 'cheaper' one.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yes, but I am guessing quite a few parents will say no to their Kids at hte price. Plus, half the parents have probably already got their Children an Xbox 360.

And for people buying it themselves? Meh. I guess they'll get one, if they don't have a 360. Give it a few years till the price drops, then, I guess alot more people will get one.

Rip off tbh though. Thats just ridiculous. And it took AGES coming out, because hte Cell Chip didn't work.
    i might leave it 6-8 months from launch, but i might get me one
    This is around the price point that I would expect. The PS2 was a few hundred when it came out, and that was years ago. I dunno what people were expecting, they're hardly going to be chucking them out at 99 quid each.
    For an idea of launch prices check out the following (only in dollars sadly - then again I usually import consoles I really want)

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-absolute.png

and taking into account inflation

http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-relative.png
    I believe nintedo will be :P

well from what I remember being told they're going to be so much fucking cheaper, because they rule, that price is fucking stupid tbh.
    Jebus.

I didn't expect it to be dirt cheap but I do think that £425 too much for a games console. The hardcore nutters will snap them up but......damn, talking 500 notes for the system and two games.

Not sure about the Wii. I'll wait until I can actually have a go on one but I wasn't impressed by the trailers or anything.

To be honest, I think this generation of consoles has come out far too soon.
    Jim V - those links don't work for me.

I don't think it's that expensive. PS2 was over £300 when it came out as far as I remember? And that was many years ago. It's always good to let the prices fall anyway before buying. The best games usually arrive once the Sony console has established itself. Oh, and of course it's going to be more expensive than the kiddies' console. :rolleyes:
    I think it was £300 on the nose. By waiting, you're not just getting better games, odds are that you'll be getting a better console too. Well a more reliable one anyway.

I could probably hold off buying a new console until October 2007. I gots to have my GTA. Wonder how big the price drop on the 360 will be....the one that'll happen the week before the PS3 release........
    I remember paying £260 for my orinal Playstation....oh those were the days. actual leaps forwards in technology.

The next gen has definately come too soon this time....i didnt even buy a PS2 until last year...but at leats you could see the jump between the previous Playstation and its succesor....what has this generation brought us? oooooh wireless joypads.....marginally better graphics....im sticking with the PS2 for another few years yet.....hell, it sits next to an N64 and i play that more....says something about new consoles.....i.e. sort your games out rather than concentrating on graphical power.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Infinite wrote:
    I think it was £300 on the nose. By waiting, you're not just getting better games, odds are that you'll be getting a better console too. Well a more reliable one anyway.

I could probably hold enough buying a new console until October 2007. I gots to have my GTA. Wonder how big the price drop on the 360 will be....the one that'll happen the week before the PS3 release........

I didn't think of that... if MS can drop the price of the 360 enough... people will buy one instead.

Same specs, near enough. Already got alot of games out. And cheaper.
    taking a good long look at games being made for the ps3 at the moment and then looking at what the 360 i already churning out, i have to say that the ps3 developers either have to pull their fingers out or forever be a generation behind in terms of software.

take a shufty at gears of war on the 360... it's chucking around a phenomenal amount of geometry, textures and lighting.

then go look at tekken 6, motorstorm, that crap looking conan'esque rpg to compare... the only vid that impressed me visually was mgs4 and that's not due out until arse end of 2007.

people will buy the ps3 regardless of price, this just makes things more interesting for consumers as the prices can only go one way, and that's downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn :thumb: