Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How are drugs shown in television?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well if you want a chance to affect how they are treated in a major, upcoming drama then youmight want to head over to the following thread

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98929

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it would be nice to see the truth ...90% of users ...using them without life problems ...loving caring hard working inteligent kinda people yeah?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Bump.

You all have an opinion, use it for the greater good. You have no excuse to bitch about the state of the media's portrayal of substance use and abuse if you don't contribute to making it more realistic....
    I'm sorry, at the moment some of us have important revision to do and can't possibly make time for Site posting
    it would be nice to see the truth ...90% of users ...using them without life problems ...loving caring hard working inteligent kinda people yeah?

I agree, well for the most part.

The depiction of drug use on TV seems to limited to either "comedy" stoners who are just friendly cheeky chappies but who never actually seem to have a job or any responsibilities - which I can't imagine is always the case. Or - the other end of the scale - down and out addicts living in a hellish crack den on the verge of insanity and/or death. There is no happy medium, and a lot of people do live at that "happy medium" stage while drugs continue to be a fairly signifigant part of their life.

It would be good to see a better portrayl of... well, both people who use all manner of drugs recreationally and still manage to live a normal life with no detriment as mr said and people who possibly are self-medicating, but scratching the surface rather than having the underlying "shudder of disgust" tone. If that makes sense.

eta: whoops, was I suppose to post this in a different thread? :p
    Well now you've got the chance to get that shown on television, it'll onlty take one post to have an effect, but not here - over in this thread -

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98929
    Well ok, I'll just do a copy and paste job ;)

so if they are exploring one person who does have issues, then they only really need another 9 users without problems on the show, possibly even guiding and helping the one user with problems
    MrG wrote:
    so if they are exploring one person who does have issues, then they only really need another 9 users without problems on the show, possibly even guiding and helping the one user with problems
    thats a really good idea. using their own experience and knowledge to show that you can use drugs recreationally without them becoming a problem.
    You've now got the chance to vote for the fate of the storyline if ya wanna head over to the main thread