Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Benefits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you can't work due to illness how much can you claim in benefits?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    think it depends on your circumstances, like are you a homeowner etc...
    Does anyone know like a website or something with the guidelines on or something?
    Depends if its classed as a disbility i think.
    not sure about benefits, but if you are in work and then have to take time off due to illness, you could get statutory sick pay, which is something pathetic like £60 a week.
    Basically my situation is this: I am a student doing my finals at the moment but when I finish I am going on holiday for 6 weeks and then I am coming back to go to a day hospital every day for a year because I am head-fucked. They told me to claim benefits but not much else. Also I am obliged to stay living in Camden Borough as it is a referal with Camden Primary Care Trust so if I moved to a different part of London I would have to start the referal process all over again. But I'm in halls at the moment, I leave 10th June so I'll have to find somewhere to live but I can't really go about sorting that out until I know how much money I'll have. It's really rather scary and depressing.
    Incapacity Benefit

Have a look on there, that should help you out.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Basically my situation is this: I am a student doing my finals at the moment but when I finish I am going on holiday for 6 weeks and then I am coming back to go to a day hospital every day for a year because I am head-fucked. They told me to claim benefits but not much else. Also I am obliged to stay living in Camden Borough as it is a referal with Camden Primary Care Trust so if I moved to a different part of London I would have to start the referal process all over again. But I'm in halls at the moment, I leave 10th June so I'll have to find somewhere to live but I can't really go about sorting that out until I know how much money I'll have. It's really rather scary and depressing.

would you not be able to go in as an in-patient rather than a day patient? or alternatively find some kind of subsidised sheltered accomodation arrangement?

i don't know how much you'd be entitled to in benefits, but i can't see it being that impressive an amount.
    I don't quite understand how you're going on holiday for six weeks but then have to attend the day hospital every day for a year?

You're best speaking to the PCT or even your GP to find out what arrangements can be made for accommodation (presumably a council flat?) and incapacity benefit.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    contact social services? ~ only advice i can think of atm.
    if its disability assocaited with mental health, then benefits will depend on how serious your illness is and how long term it is too.
    Thanks guys.

I think they opt for day patient as much as possible as going to be an in-patient for a year would mean it would be hard to do anything except be in hospital whereas at least as a day patient you can see your friends in the evenings and at weekends.

Looked at that website and I couldn't really work out what I'd be entitled to anyway and to rent a room in this area costs more than the whole maximum allowance (unless there is housing benefit on top of that?) especially as I have to live in this (expensive) area to stay in the hospital catchment. Oh well. I'm sure they will explain it to me eventually.
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't quite understand how you're going on holiday for six weeks but then have to attend the day hospital every day for a year?
    I'm going on holiday until the beginning of August and then coming back to the UK to attend the hospital. Does that make sense?
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I think they opt for day patient as much as possible as going to be an in-patient for a year would mean it would be hard to do anything except be in hospital whereas at least as a day patient you can see your friends in the evenings and at weekends.

i guess it depends on the facilities in your area.

one of my cousins was recently a voluntary inpatient on a psych ward, and he was allowed to leave the hospital whenever he didn't have scheduled rounds or treatment sessions, as long as he was in the hospital between 10pm and 8am. that worked out great for him (until he absconded, but that's another story).

i can see their reasoning on sending people home for the night it they are going somewhere familiar and safe and comforting, but if 'home' is a grotty council flat on your tod with not even a couple of pennies to rub together i just don't see how it would be beneficial.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I'm going on holiday until the beginning of August and then coming back to the UK to attend the hospital. Does that make sense?
    Yeah, I got that. But I wasn't sure how you're allowed to go away for so long but then be required to visit the hospital daily for appointments, that's all.
    kaffrin wrote:
    if 'home' is a grotty council flat on your tod with not even a couple of pennies to rub together i just don't see how it would be beneficial.
    I agree. Not an environment conducive for recovery from a long term mental illness.
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah, I got that. But I wasn't sure how you're allowed to go away for so long but then be required to visit the hospital daily for appointments, that's all.
    Well I've not been sectioned or anything, I am in agreement that I shall attend so they aren't "allowing me out" or whatever to go on holiday, it's just that I want a holiday.
    Kentish wrote:
    I agree. Not an environment conducive for recovery from a long term mental illness.
    indeed, it would probably add to your existing problems.
    Well to be honest I don't seem to have much say in the matter as to the type of treatment (day patient/ in patient thing) nor do I really get to choose where I live as I have to stay within Camden Borough.

You are probably right though, staying somewhere horrible will probably turn me more mental.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Well to be honest I don't seem to have much say in the matter as to the type of treatment
    yes you do. you just have to speak up.
    ask to be assigned to a mental health social worker - they will look into your needs re: treatemnt, accomodation, benefits, etc and help sort you out.
    otter wrote:
    yes you do. you just have to speak up.
    ask to be assigned to a mental health social worker - they will look into your needs re: treatemnt, accomodation, benefits, etc and help sort you out.
    Who would I have to ask for that?
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Who would I have to ask for that?
    social services
    Hello.

Housing benefit is on top of other benefits like incapacity benefit. Unfortunately if you are under 25, the government will only pay what they think it costs to live in a shared house. Round here, it's a maximum of about £40 a week, I expect it is a lot more in Camden.

But just go to the job centre or housing office and speak to someone there.