Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Met someone online?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have any of you ever met a special someone online?
If so, how/where did you do it?

chat room?
personals ad?
forum?

and if any of the above, which ones did you use?

I'm particularly interested to know if anyone's ever found a chat-room where you can actually talk to people reasonably well....

thanks all

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Met Fiance on here.
    Yuuup!

Met Rich-E online and as he's a localton met up. I think it's an okay way of meeting someone but obviously prefer 'real life'.
    Deleted. Read the OP wrong :lol:.
    Yeah. I fell for a girl and lived with her for a couple of years. I'm also one of the administrators of another internet forum, and have made some good friends on it.
    I met someone on a forum. It was my first relationship. We had a long distance thing goin on, and ended up together for 9 months.
    Wasn't so hot though, but that was cause he was a prick.
    met my bf in an aol teen chat room about 5 years ago!
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Wasn't so hot though, but that was cause he was a prick.

See - you get them everywhere ;).
    It just me, or does the OP sound like he/she's doing it for research?

Anyway, have made some good friends, n have said to Click I'll drive up from Brighton to Staffordshire before 1o this eve, so better get going lol. C ya soon Click!
    Hurry up! It's going limp!
    See - you get them everywhere ;).

And don't I know it!

If it wasn't for fairytales, I'd believe that all guys were pricks ~ the proof of all my previous relationships.

PS. Yes, it does sound like research, hence a little bit of vagueness.
    Hurry up! It's going limp!
    Lol. Just 'cumin'! sorry, terrible i know.
    your-babe wrote:
    Lol. Just 'cumin'! sorry, terrible i know.

Groan. :p
    IWishIWas wrote:
    If it wasn't for fairytales, I'd believe that all guys were pricks ~ the proof of all my previous relationships..

A select few are clicks! ;)
    Lol. It was terrible. I do apologise.

U keeping that bed warm for me?! Lol, just going down the M25 I think
    You want to travel UP. DOWN takes you into the saltwater! ;)
    Groan. :p

A select few are clicks! ;)

I'd like to believe that! :yes:
    You want to travel UP. DOWN takes you into the saltwater! ;)
    Ok, I'll keep travelling up lol. Do I stop when I reach Nottingham?

My geog. is appalling.
    Better off going another way, but you can stop at Nottingham and take the A50 over to Uttoxeter. The road from Uttoxeter to Stafford is awesome when there is nobody around, and no cow poop on the road :).
    Better off going another way, but you can stop at Nottingham and take the A50 over to Uttoxeter. The road from Uttoxeter to Stafford is awesome when there is nobody around, and no cow poop on the road :).
    My geog. isn't that bad then!!!
    Sounds like research to me. Anyway, I've never had an internet relationhsip (or even met anyone from the internet) and have no intention of doing so. Was having this debate with a friend of mine a few years ago (he's had an internet relationship and doesn't recommend it) who managed to make me think about how much I didn't want an internet relationship.
    Done it once. Don't think I'll ever do it again.

I met up with Rich-E from this site and we saw each other for a while. It didn't last very long because of the distance.

To be honest, I prefer to get to know someone in real life first before going into a relationship with them. I can't really get to know someone who lives at the other end of the country who I'll barely see. If I could meet someone on here that lived in my area then fair enough but otherwise, no. I don't think it is a good idea.
    Met my better half on here (Hellfire). Been together almost a year despite the distance.

Met my best friend 6 years ago on the Limp Bizkit chat room :lol:
    We met up several times over the last 6 years, she lived at mine for a bit, then I lived at hers. Now she's going out with my little brother and they've been living together for 2 years. It's funny how these things work out...
    Not off this website and not someone special but i have off livejournal a couple of people but that was just as friends anyway and one of them only lived in the next village so it was easy enough :thumb:
    The reason that some internet meetings fail is because people develop as a couple (some even consider themselves to be going out) too much before actually meeting and checking out the reality.

If you set expectations suitably, there's no reason that you can't find someone on the internet and then develop a friendship or relationship offline, regardless of distance.
    I met my boyfriend online too
    I met my boyfriend online too

Really, I met my girlfriend online... what a koinkidence!! ;)
    Mist wrote:
    The reason that some internet meetings fail is because people develop as a couple (some even consider themselves to be going out) too much before actually meeting and checking out the reality.

If you set expectations suitably, there's no reason that you can't find someone on the internet and then develop a friendship or relationship offline, regardless of distance.

:yes: totally agree.
    Mist wrote:

I agree, and I made that mistake before,

My other half posted up there *points* lolzabeth, and yus we met through here, been together almost a year and moving in together soon :D

I met a few people online, been to several online meets for various forums and made some great friends, many I still talk to and ocationally meet with today,

Some I don't and dont talk to anymore, things like that happen.
    relationships that start on the internet are no different that relationships that start any other way.

most relationships fail, no? i think people have a tendency to blame the failings on the fact they met on the internet, when really it's not a factor at all.

like, if you meet someone on the net that lives five hours away, and it doesn't work out, it probably didn't work out because of the distance, but still people say 'ooh, internet relationships never work out'. of if you meet someone online and they turn out to be totally mental, the relationship fails cause they're mental, and still would have done if they lived 2 minutes away and you met them in a more traditional way.

i met my other half on a website a bit like this one. it worked out because we were right for each other and because we made an effort. the internet had no bearing on it. it just acted as a meeting place.
    I met one of the best friends I've got on the internet, on a chat room. Our relationships not as close anymore (still talk every couple of days though), but at the time I met her, I really needed her, and we were able to help each other. We'd of been inseperable if we didn't live 200 miles apart. We were very close and helped each other through some very hard times - including me going to stay with her for a week when I was being bullied!
    I also became very good friends with a guy on the Muse forum. When I found out he was going to the same uni as one of my best friends, I said they should meet. Found out that they already had, but didn't realise that they were the particular people I was talking about. We're all great friends now, and it's awesome.