Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

help with complaint letter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
would someone please give their feedback on the tone and message of the complaint letter. i need a second opinion. thanks.

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    What letter?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I reside in apartment 117 in XXXXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXX, and think it is one of the best residential in town. Unfortunately, ever since the arrival of the tenant in apartment 118, the antisocial behaviour and excessive noise emanating from the flat causes increasing anxiety and discomfort among residents in XXXXXXXXXXX.

The said tenant watches television and listens to the radio very loud that it blares across the corridors and into other apartments. The tenant produces excessive noise during the early hours, especially in the weekends. The tenant constantly shouts, inside the flat and out on the balcony. Perhaps the most irritating, the tenants every footstep is very heavy, which creates a low sound that travels through the walls and floor. What worries me most is the intimidation and threat the tenant made when I requested him, for the second time, to lower the volume of the television.

At about eight in the morning, after being woken up again by the tenants television, I knocked on his window. When asked to lower the volume because I was trying to sleep, he said not to tell him what to do because he has lived in XXXXXXXXXXX, I think, for two years. I replied what’s wrong with him because someone is trying to sleep. The tenant then threatened me not to knock on his window again or he will come in [the flat] and drag me out. In the confrontation, the tenant mentioned that he used to live in apartment 92 but, I think, before he moved into apartment 118, he was in apartment 101 (he could have just changed apartments twice).

The tenant’s lousy behaviour convinced me that directly dealing with him would be unproductive. For two weeks, video recordings were made of the tenant’s activities to give an idea of the circumstances. The CD included in the letter contains the video files, which are in Quicktime format.

The first recordings, dated 3 May, illustrate the noise coming from the radio. As demonstrated, the noise is quite audible through the wall. Later recordings will show how the radio sounds from the corridors. The second set, dated 6 May, is recorded in the early hours of Saturday. The next set, dated 8 May, illustrates the noise from the television. To give a better idea of the television volume, the following video, dated 10 May, demonstrates the noise with the balcony doors open. The first video of the set dated 13 May, is another example of noise in the morning. The preceding videos in the set demonstrate further excessive noise from the tenant and company. The tenant has the most prominent voice in the videos. Throughout the game, the tenant can be heard constantly through out shouting inside and out the balcony to the people below, which I strongly find immature and embarrassing. The first of the next set dated 14 May is another example of getting woken up by the television. As with most of the time, the tenant is out on the balcony reading the newspapers while the television is on. Since levels of ambient sound are greater outside, the volume is high to compensate. The last video in the set demonstrates how the radio sounds from the corridor. I think the noise level is clear and need no further explanation.

Unfortunately, the footsteps of the tenant are very difficult to record. Despite most of the videos showing the interruption of my sleep, the real everyday cause of the interruptions are the tenants footsteps. The video recorder does not pick up the sound of the footstep because unlike radio and television, the sound waves travel through the floor and walls. This creates a low frequency sound that seems to come from everywhere. The sound is comparable to a sub woofer.

These days, I seem to be always tired and more stressed. It is mostly due to lack of proper sleep and the irritated state caused by being abruptly woken up by the pounding sound footsteps. Moreover, the annoyance makes it even more difficult to go back to sleep so often I do not. Normally, I would be woken around three in the morning and, if I manage to sleep, again at seven in the morning. I write articles and blogs on the Internet and the only time I can work on this is during my spare time. However, it proved very difficult to concentrate when the tenant’s television is blaring, adding to a deep feeling of exhaustion. This is highly undesirable most especially when there is a deadline to chase.

The matter also affects other residents in the flats surrounding the apartment 118, particularly the opposite apartment 119 and probably apartment 100 below. While apartment 100 may only be affected by the footsteps, Apartment 119 is affect by both noise as well as the footsteps. The footsteps may be just as worse if not more with apartment 119 because it shares the same wall of the long corridor with apartment 118.

I believe such antisocial behaviour in XXXXXXXXXXX has many implications. If other residents see that such behaviour is allowed to continue, it may diminish the perceived authority of XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. In addition, it may encourage other residents to follow suit. Ultimately, such behaviour may undermine the value of the properties, at least to the current residents.

A copy of a letter sent by XXXXXXXXXXXXXX on March 2006 regarding previous complaints is included in the letter. Considering past attempts to inform residents about consequences, I hope this time more effective steps will be taken to resolve the situation and prevent the same problem occurring again. If XXXXXXXXXXXXXX would deem it necessary, I can make contact with other residents, especially those immediately affected, and find out their experience, opinions and how they would like to resolve the situation.

I look forward to you’re reply and resolution to the problem. Please contact me at the above address or by phone at XXXXXXXXXXXXX. Thank you for taking time to consider the matter.

Sincerely,
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Good letter.
    Change "you're" to "your" in the final paragraph, and it's "Yours faithfully" at the end if you don't know who you are writing to - two S's (Sir and Sincerely) don't go together :)
    thanks for the feed back you three. will take in the advice.
    two S's (Sir and Sincerely) don't go together :)

cool. is that true? i never thought of it that way.