Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Using middle names

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it pronounced 'seer-sha'?

:thumb:
  • Options
    I use my middle name, but I have always been known by my middle name, never my first name.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't have a middle name, they (or second names as they're called here) are fairly rare. But I'm thinking of changing my name to include one.
  • Options
    I have a middle name (Elaine), I always put it on forms and things, but no-one ever uses it.
  • Options
    I neeever use mine.

Rachael Emily
  • Options
    my ma gets called by her middle name for some reason
  • Options
    Is it pronounced 'seer-sha'?

Oooo thats very unusual I like it, think its going on my list. :thumb:
  • Options
    i have 2 middle names suckahs!!

my dad uses his middle name as his name, which is the same as my first name.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Is it just me, or does virtually every bloke get their dads name as their middle?

I've got my dads name as my middle.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    JsT wrote:
    Is it just me, or does virtually every bloke get their dads name as their middle?

:lol:

My brother's middle name is my dad's first name. However, David's middle name is his dad's middle name.

I like my middle name but couldn't use it as my first name as it is my mum's first name. I use it for official purposes and I use the initial on bank stuff etc.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:

my name is my dads middle name. which he uses as his name. my middle names are both my grandads names.
  • Options
    My dad and my brother have the same middle name.
    My poor boyfriend has his dads full name, which was his dads full name. Tradition or not, whatever they are trying to go for I think thats a horrible idea.
  • Options
    my best friends name is juls and her middle name is mansfield.... she goes by juls for obvious reasons...
  • Options
    I like to use my middle name but only in addition to my first name. My e-mail address has my full name (including my middle name) but only because some bitch with the same first name and surname had already registered.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I like to use my middle name but only in addition to my first name. My e-mail address has my full name (including my middle name) but only because some bitch with the same first name and surname had already registered.

You should email and tell her :p
  • Options
    To be honest, I find it a little selfish (in most, not all, of the cases) when people name their children after themselves...
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    You should email and tell her :p
    Ha ha. One of my friends found that there were like 50 odd other people with her name on hotmail (as it offered her her.name49@hotmail.com or whatever) and started e-mailing the others and got several responses from people with her name... spooky.

My friend told me he was reading a novel recently and there was a girl in it who was a prostitute who went on to get murdered and she had the exact same name as me (he took great delight in telling me this).
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    To be honest, I find it a little selfish (in most, not all, of the cases) when people name their children after themselves...

Why?
  • Options
    Why?
    Well... because it's their own name. In my mind, naming a child after someone else is a way to honour that person, and wanting to honour yourself is pretty selfish ("arrogant" may be a better word).
  • Options

I've always thought so too. I don't know why. It just seems really concieted and tacky.
  • Options
    My boyfriend calls his willy Pedro Junior and he wants to call his first son that too but to me that just seems wrong :nervous:
  • Options
    Do you get a catholic middle name when you are confirmed?

Yes, my confirmation name is Caoimhin! I know a few people who are known by their middle names but I personally wouldn't like it.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    My dad and my brother have the same middle name.
    My poor boyfriend has his dads full name, which was his dads full name. Tradition or not, whatever they are trying to go for I think thats a horrible idea.

:impissed:

My name is exactly the same as my mother's name, grandmother's name, great-grandmother's name (I do think it stops there but I'm not 100%). I used to think it was a bit sad - it is very confusing - but now I think it's pretty cool that my mum was the child given her mother's name and the same for me in terms of my mum.

I'm not really offended though, yours is a popular opinion :p

Oh, I don't like the whole "Hank Jr"/"Jonas VIII" stuff some people [mainly Americans, seemingly] do, though.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    :impissed:

My name is exactly the same as my mother's name, grandmother's name, great-grandmother's name (I do think it stops there but I'm not 100%). I used to think it was a bit sad - it is very confusing - but now I think it's pretty cool that my mum was the child given her mother's name and the same for me in terms of my mum.

I'm not really offended though, yours is a popular opinion :p

Oh, I don't like the whole "Hank Jr"/"Jonas VIII" stuff some people [mainly Americans, seemingly] do, though.

Well only cuz youre cool I wont think about it ;):heart:
    Yer, the boyfriend is First name, Middle, Last name III :\
    Then he gets mad because they can't fit his full name on the credit cards :p
  • Options
    Violette wrote:
    it's so keep the name going in memory of the person. personally i think it's nice to carry on grandparent's names in your children's middle names, i am going to do it.
    The grandparents' name is pretty common, though I wouldn't want to do it. But not the parents' name... Except if one of them died or something.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Well only cuz youre cool I wont think about it ;):heart:
    Yer, the boyfriend is First name, Middle, Last name III :\:p

Kind of like royalty or something! I can see why people do it, but I wouldn't fancy a number after my name. I'd be IV so that'd be pretty sweet, maybe I can just write it onto my birth certificate and pretend like it was there all along :p

IC - I don't think it's arrogance at all, though I understand why you might see it that way. It's often a family name which people like to carry on to the next generation. In having a child you're carrying on your lineage to the next generation; so I don't see what's so bad about wanting the same to happen in relation to a name. I don't know, it's no big deal... it's happened in my family for generations now, I didn't know people found it arrogant.
  • Options
    The using a grandparents name seems like a nice idea. I'm going to do it as a sort of memory to my dad I spose. But I dont understand why people want to nake their kid directly after themselves..It does seem tacky. No offence to anyone here or owt :)
  • Options
    Ahahaha nake..I meant name..HM
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Ahahaha nake..I meant name..HM
    You can edit your posts too. ;)
  • Options
    Ah bollocks..Thankyou. I shall do next time :)