Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pole dancing

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Ok, basicly I'm thinking of becoming a pole dancer. There are a couple of courses I plan on doing over the summer to get me trained up so know how shouldnt be an issue. What I'm worried about is, what the places I'm likely to be working at will be like. I've never been to a club like that so I dont really know what to expect.
I've heard that there are no touching rules and stuff like that.

The only thing i've heard about pole dancing clubs is from my mum, so considering she's never set foot in one in her life, I dont really trust her opinion.

The reason I want to do a job like dancing, is I want to get a deposit big enough to put down on a flat. The job I'm in at the moment, as much as I love it, dosnt give me enough to pay the bills and save. I dont want to live at home all my life. I've read in magazine storys and stuff that the money is really good.

Just kinda want to know any info you might have about working in places like that
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you can do better than that!
  • Options
    Could you not visit some to see what they're like? I'm sure a male friend would be happy to accompany you on your research. I'm pretty sure that no-touching is standard policy (well the official line anyway) but I guess it depends on the club as to how likely it is that the rules will be broken. You can always get a job as a podium dancer in a nightclub if you don't think it's right for you, but you probably won't get as much.
  • Options
    i used to work in a pole dancing / lap dancing club on the bar.

i cant say that this is how it works everywere else but the girls payed a fee to work in the club and also had to go on the pole in the middle of the club a couple of times a night for free.

they made there money by doing private dances in the booths

the club got the money from the girls, the door money and the bar money
  • Options
    you can do better than that!
    There are other jobs that pay just as well. Is this really what you want to do?
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    i used to work in a pole dancing / lap dancing club on the bar.

i cant say that this is how it works everywere else but the girls payed a fee to work in the club and also had to go on the pole in the middle of the club a couple of times a night for free.

the club got the money from the girls, the door money and the bar money

We went to stringfella's for a mates Stag do - the girls said they paid the club £80 a night and got £20 for a 3 to 4 minute dance.

One girl said a friend of hers had got a customer who was with his girlfriend in the club and they wanted her to dance non stop for the whole night for them - but by the end of the night she'd made like £10,000 from just that one customer!!

There was also another woman making £20 a time giving guys shoulder rubs, and she seemed to be doing well and got to keep her clothes on!! .. Maybe you could do something like that!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You should PM badabing as she is/was a pole dancer.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    you're not likely to make that kind of money unless you are working in stringfellow's though. i've got mates who do/have done it, and you only really get that kind of money in london, and even then only in the top end places.
    Was gonna say. Places like that only take the best girls, so you'll never get that sort of job straight away.
  • Options
    Was gonna say. Places like that only take the best girls, so you'll never get that sort of job straight away.

:eek2:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    :eek2:
    What?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    melanie wrote:

This is how it works at my sisters place. She doesn't even go topless on the pole - just has to do a sexy dance. She makes her money lap dancing which isn't even fully nude.

She auditioned for the lap dancing, got the job, and then was put through pole dancing lessons for free.

It's built her confidence - she really enjoys it - and she took home £500 last week from 3 shifts. She also manges to hold down a 9-5 job during the day, which means she earning some serious money now. There's not many part time jobs where you can eran that sort of money.

It's a good job, don't let other people put you off.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SCC what wrong with pole dancing anyway?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What?

Your comment sounds very rude to me.
  • Options
    Zella wrote:
    Ok, basicly I'm thinking of becoming a pole dancer. There are a couple of courses I plan on doing over the summer to get me trained up so know how shouldnt be an issue. What I'm worried about is, what the places I'm likely to be working at will be like. I've never been to a club like that so I dont really know what to expect.
    I've heard that there are no touching rules and stuff like that.

The only thing i've heard about pole dancing clubs is from my mum, so considering she's never set foot in one in her life, I dont really trust her opinion.

The reason I want to do a job like dancing, is I want to get a deposit big enough to put down on a flat. The job I'm in at the moment, as much as I love it, dosnt give me enough to pay the bills and save. I dont want to live at home all my life. I've read in magazine storys and stuff that the money is really good.

Just kinda want to know any info you might have about working in places like that

Two of my friends worked in a pole dancing club abroad last summer, I went with them to have a look before they started. They only got paid per dance, 11 euros (about £8) for a 3 minute dance but had to talk to blokes and try to get them to have a dance.

They seemed to get drunk every night before going.

There were also some rough girls working there, like on drugs or real nasty and violent.

I know some place here, like spearmint rhino, charge girls who want to work there a nightly fee and then they get to keep whatever guys pay them for a dance.

Seems like easy money but you have to be the right temprement (sp?) and have a very thick skin.
  • Options
    melanie wrote:

:yes:

i think poledancing has been totally glamourised and is not a sexy easy route to money like we've been led to believe.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    :yes:

i think poledancing has been totally glamourised and is not a sexy easy route to money like we've been led to believe.

Pole dancing doesn't bring in much vonga but lap dancing certainly does.
    Not many part time jobs where you can earn £70 in 15 mins.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Pole dancing doesn't bring in much vonga but lap dancing certainly does.
    Not many part time jobs where you can earn £70 in 15 mins.
    what i'm saying is.. recently its been the in-thing to do pole dancing. loads of celebs do it for fun and so it has been glamourised. but what people don't realise is that if they were to do that as a job.. it might seem like fun easy work but in order to make money, like everyone has said you need to give private lapdances. now i think thats quite different to dancing around a pole. sure its the same kind of work, but you could just dance around a pole and enjoy the music and the dancing. but getting up close and personal with some man in just your g-string is different.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    but getting up close and personal with some man in just your g-string is different.

My sister reckons that's the easiest bit. Get up in front of a crowd is the tough part.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    My sister reckons that's the easiest bit. Get up in front of a crowd is the tough part.
    i'm surprised, but everyones different.

out of interest does your sister or the other dancers get drunk or anything before they do it?
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    SCC what wrong with pole dancing anyway?

I don't think she meant there is something wrong with it, but that Zella got what it takes to de more than that... Also imo you can be clever and pole dance, after all if that's what she want to go and do, she should go for it...
  • Options
    I don't think she meant there is something wrong with it, but that Zella got what it takes to de more than that... Also imo you can be clever and pole dance, after all if that's what she want to go and do, she should go for it...

i know its not the same, but when i went to go do that charity talk and debate thing in london, for thesite.org

you wouldnt believe how many people told me i have what it takes to do so much better than what i do, and that i appear really intelligent

i supervise for 2 bars/nightclubs, but i really enjoy the work, and im looking at management roles and promotion, and a degree in licenced retail and management, which is going to be fitted in around the job, which will be hard work

ive also had it mentioned to me before that night as well

so zella, i know exactly what its like when someone says you can do so much better, but end of the day, if you enjoy it and you are good at it, you go for it, and as NMM says, you can have your brains, do your lap/pole dancing, and still go further
  • Options
    I don't think she meant there is something wrong with it, but that Zella got what it takes to de more than that...

To do more? In what sense? There's certainly not many other part time job that pay as well. I don't think you'll find many girls plan to make a career out of it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    To do more? In what sense? There's certainly not many other part time job that pay as well. I don't think you'll find many girls plan to make a career out of it.

Was just saying what SCC meant, if you read the rest of my post I clearly say that if Zella want to go for it she should... and it's not because that kind of part job pay well that you can't do anything else either... plenty of people do other job and take longer to buy a flat... it's her choice...
  • Options
    I just think its a shame for intelligent women to just be treated like a piece of meat for the money. I think its degrading and demeaning and only one step away from prostitution ( which in itself I dont think is inherently bad - again, i just think its a shame)
    I think part of the shame is that theres so much more money to be made by selling yourself as some object for old men to wank over, than there is for people actually using their intelligence and REAL talents. Just shows what worth women have in society. Feminism has come SUCH a long way.

I dont think its like the worst thing in the world or anything, Just makes me uneasy.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Your comment sounds very rude to me.
    Why? It's like any other job. Only the best people get to work in the best places and make the most money. And I doubt that anyone is going to be the best dancer straight away, when they've never done it before now are they?
  • Options
    Thanks for all your comments. I wouldnt be quitting my job to do this, it would be aswell. At the moment I work in another old peoples home so I clean up other peoples bums for a living. Its hard, I find poo very difficult to deal with. I'm never goign to make a high wage in my line of work. I know there are places that pay high, but they are few and far between.

Did I read right when someone said that you have to pay the club to work there and you just keep the money from the guys you dance for? Or am I just getting confused??

I could do alot better, and I will, I am managment material. I aim to be a manager one day. But because of my age I cant even be a senior care assistant cos I have to be 21.
  • Options
    If you already have a job you might want to check your contract, many jobs dont really like employees getting other jobs, especially if they think you are bringing their company into disrepute.
  • Options
    I just think its a shame for intelligent women to just be treated like a piece of meat for the money. I think its degrading and demeaning and only one step away from prostitution ( which in itself I dont think is inherently bad - again, i just think its a shame)
    I think part of the shame is that theres so much more money to be made by selling yourself as some object for old men to wank over, than there is for people actually using their intelligence and REAL talents. Just shows what worth women have in society. Feminism has come SUCH a long way.

I dont think its like the worst thing in the world or anything, Just makes me uneasy.

Who being degraded though?

Some blokes spend a whole weeks wages on my sister in one night. Who's taking the piss out of who?
    My sister's a stunner and making use of that 'talent' - how is that not a real talent?

And it's very rarely 'old men'.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Some people make money using their bodies, some people make money using their brain. If a woman wants to pole dance and enjoys it, fair play to them.