Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Career vs. love

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, to be fair it's a dream job, so it's implied that the working conditions will be perfect.

The question didn't mention it being true love, or the person being your soul mate but that seems to have been added for some reason.

I honestly don't know what I'd do in a true love situation. I'd probably move heaven and earth to have both.

*shrugs*
    How do you know it's the dream job and that the condition are perfect if you haven't work there yet tho?

I think with true love the partner would follow tbh...
    I don't know to be honest.

With being single now, I'd say I'd choose the job but everything is different when you are in love.

In my last serious relationship, my ex had the opportunity to apply for a placement which was abroad. He chose not to apply for the placement because he was in a relationship with me. I had nothing to do with that decision though. He made it for himself.

Personally, going from how I felt about someone in my last serious relationship, I would probably put love first. I'm silly like that. I just know, deep down, that I would be much happier in a loving relationship than a having a good job and being alone.

You can find jobs everywhere, you can't find love easily.
    How do you know it's the dream job and that the condition are perfect if you haven't work there yet tho?

Well, my dream job is sitting on the sofa eating crisps, so I think the conditions would be ok :razz:

The whole decision would depend on so many factors that I could see myself going in both directions, depending on the specifics. Taking the question at face value, I'd choose my career.
    If love that last forever would never exist, well we would be leaving in a really sad world...
    I disagree... It's all about experiences and whatever works at the time in my opinion. So what if love dies between a couple, it is what you get from your experiences that make you strong. The same with a job...
    I disagree... It's all about experiences and whatever works at the time in my opinion. So what if love dies between a couple, it is what you get from your experiences that make you strong. The same with a job...

Well if love that lasted forever would not exist, it would mean all famillies would be broken and coming from a broken familly I can tell you it doesn't always do goods to the kids... When parents break-up it might make them stronger but it can fucked the kids for life...
    I really wouldn't know to be honest... I'm both a very career-oriented person as well as a romantic one.

But I disagree with the people who say you can find love easily again... in my experience it has been very difficult. I've only ever really loved one person and the kind of realtionship we had... it isn't easy to find. After 6 years I haven't found it again, and i am looking, trust me.
    Been in a sort of similar situation two or three years ago.

I got offered something that literally would have been life changing, something that would literally have turned my life upside down. I was seeing somebody at the time, and because I've always blinded by "love" (for want of a better word) I turned it down and stuck with what I had.

It caused shitloads of resentment and the relationship broke down. If the same situation came up again, I'd go ahead and do it, and the relationship would have to come second.

Least I think so, it'd totally depend on the situation.
    i think it also depends on your age and if you feel ready to settle down. i'm 22 so a career and moving away is exciting to me and so would always come first but if i was 32 i might think differently.
    Tbh I have my dream job already (also doesn't pay enough yet) and I know my partner will follow me wherever I need to... but for me love will always take more importance in my life and bring me more than any job could...
    That wouldn't happen to me anyway, my dream job is one that lets me stay put (for the horse, not the boyfriend!)

If it came to the decision, I think I'd stay, but maybe I'd change my mind. Tough one until it happens.
    I am pretty sure I would go for the job. In my mind, the person who I loved should support me and want me to realise my dreams (including my dream job) so he should either come with me, or support me to go and do it - If the love was meant to be, then we would make it work.

but then again, maybe thats just me being selfish, I dont know...
    My last boyfriend moved to the other side of the world with me (when he didnt want to go) so that I could realise my dreams (we were together 4.5 years before that). when we were here together, he hated it here and was miserable but still i would not move back home with him for him to be happy. Now (after 7 years together) we broke up and he is back there and I am still here. He says I am selfish and stupid to choose the opportunities here over love and that I obviously never loved him enough or as much as he loved me since he did all that for me but I would not give stuff up to go back and be with him :confused: maybe he's right, i dont know..

its a really tough question and maybe each of us would make different choices depending on the job, the relationship, the time in our life, etc
    the question was would you stay for love, or break up with your loved one to go.

If the option was there for loved one to go with you, then im sure most people would go for that. If you would choose to break up over a job then I dont think it could possibly be love. That just seems incredulous to me.
    the question was would you stay for love, or break up with your loved one to go.

If the option was there for loved one to go with you, then im sure most people would go for that. If you would choose to break up over a job then I dont think it could possibly be love. That just seems incredulous to me.

Agree totally.

If i truly loved someone there would be no way i'd want to be apart from them. A job is just money at the end of the day, it can only provide you with a certain amount of happiness.
    LacyMay wrote:
    Agree totally.

If i truly loved someone there would be no way i'd want to be apart from them. A job is just money at the end of the day, it can only provide you with a certain amount of happiness.

Not always...

I'd like to work in human rights... If somebody for example turned around and gave me the chance to work with aborigine youths, or in schools in Nepal, or for gay rights in Jamaica I'd go.

If it were just a high paying job, then stuff it. I think some people dream about starting a family, about falling in love but I don't... And whoever I end up with has to respect that.

However if there were kids involved, then it's only fair to stay.