Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How Old Were You When You Learnt To Drive?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How Old Were You When You Learnt To Drive? & Also pass you test and how many attempts?

I was about 17.5 when I started lessons and Passed 2nd time just before turning 18

Comments

• Options
    I had lessons when I was 18 then gave up for a while cos my instructor was a weirdo, and I failed my theory test.

I went back to it and passed my test when I was 23.
  • Options
    I started learning at 17 and passed first time at 17 too

And they say women can't drive :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't think I ever want to drive. Maybe a motorbike, but I don't want to learn to drive a car.
  • Options
    17, been driving since i was nearly 18
  • Options
  • Options
    I had some lessons when I was 18, in the summer before uni. I'm now 20, and am having lessons at the moment (havee been for a couple of months), have my first test booked.
  • Options
    I started learning in May last year, just before I was 19. I've failed two tests and stopped having lessons for the moment because I can't afford them and driving in York is awful.
  • Options
    I'm an old git now. Back in my day it cost £11 for an hours worth of tuition ;).

Started at 17, had 3 lessons, and couldn't afford it. Passed September 3rd 1998, bought a car on the 4th :).
  • Options
    Im learning now, and im 17, i passed my theory first time, and im putting in for my test in the next few weeks. Hopefully pass before my 18th in july, but depends on the waiting list!
  • Options
    There's no way I could have afforded to learn to drive when I was 17. I started lessons when I was 21, had them on and off till I was 22 (kept running out of money or moving house so had to find new teacher).

Nearly 24 now and still haven't taken test, got a scooter instead.

I find it kind of annoying when I see people who are 17 who get a car bought for them by their Mum and Dad, maybe I'm jealous but I just think it makes people spoiled.

Fair enough if you pay for an old banger yourself!
  • Options
    I was 17 when I started to officially learn (12 unofficially)!
  • Options
    I start learning unofficially how to drive when I was 14 and drove quite often when I was 18 without a license and I still don't have one... should get my license this year tho...
  • Options
    17, then broke my leg after 2 lessons but carried on again 5 months later, and passed first time
  • Options
  • Options
    Started when I was 17, and hope to pass by this Christmas- when I'll be 18. Got my new car on Saturday, and been driving lots on Sat and Sun, was really good! And I drove my Mum to work last night-20 mins away in 30mins, so she was on time and in one piece- RESULT!
  • Options
    I started learning to drive when I was 17. I've still not passed :grump:
  • Options
    I was 16. Got the licence on my 17th birthday.
  • Options
    I passed when I was 17 first time and I've been driving ever since. :D
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Wow... LOVE the new avatar thingy :)
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:

hehe snap although mainyl cause its taken me three years to book any more lessons lol. Also Never taken my thoery test yet let alone my practical lol

and next tiem dont change your av you confused me ;<
  • Options
    Started when i was 18, passed when i was 18, bought a car when i was 18 :p
  • Options
    Startws learning when i was 19 and passed when i was 19. The only reason i really started learning was because we won some money on the lottery and i wanted something productive to spend it on :p
  • Options
    Passed second time on the day i turned 19, had been learning for about 6 months
  • Options
    Ive never had a lesson and im almost twenty! I concentred on my academic work...most of my friends drive anyway ;) Though my 17 year old sister is having her test soon...
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I find it kind of annoying when I see people who are 17 who get a car bought for them by their Mum and Dad, maybe I'm jealous but I just think it makes people spoiled.
    Hear Hear. Most of my friends at school had their lessons and cars bought and paid for, which I really resented. (I still do).

I started learning to drive November last year (age 19) have had around 23 hours of tuition, and then had to give it up because of a severe lack of money.

I've bought all my own lessons and am buying my own car. God Knows when that actually becomes reality instead of fantasy.

Ilor x
  • Options
    I started learning about a month after my 19th Birthday, got a few more weeks and my test is on 9th June. Passed theory a few months ago no probs! Really really want to pass practical first time! Did a mock test this morning and got 11 minors so would have passed, but shortly after I finished my mock test, I hit another car's wing mirror, and my wing mirror folded in with a big bang! I was petrified as it isn't my car but its all ok!
  • Options
    Started learning November 20th 2005 (two days after my 17th birthday) and am still learning now, hopefully taking test in June. Passed my theory first time, hopefully the same for my practical! :)
  • Options
    i didn't start learning till a month before my 18th.
  • Options
    17. taken 5tests, still not passed :(