Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Reporting a Relative to the Police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever report a relative to the coppers for anything?

If so what happened and how did it turn out in the end.

PM me if you got some advice but wanna keep it a bit private - don't really wanna going into too much details myself (unless I can totally delete this thread later)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dont think i could do it unless it was something really bad like paedophilia or murder or something. if thats the case then you really dont want to talk about it on a internet message board.
    koe_182 wrote:
    i dont think i could do it unless it was something really bad like paedophilia or murder or something. if thats the case then you really dont want to talk about it on a internet message board.
    ditto. or it was revenge for something horrible they did to me.
    koe_182 wrote:

Well what if it's someone prone to fits of violence (hurting others) with no self control .. and the aim isn't to get them sent to jail but for them to get mental help?
    Well what if it's someone prone to fits of violence (hurting others) with no self control .. and the aim isn't to get them sent to jail but for them to get mental help?

Then surely someone within your local PCT are better people to talk to.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Then surely someone within your local PCT are better people to talk to.

What's PCT?
    What's PCT?

Primary Care Trust, its basically the over all organiser of health provision in your area, it runs the hospitals, GP's etc. (or at least thats how I understand it MoK may come on here and tell me I'm totally wrong)
    I would never report a relative to the police! It would have to be something proper fucked up for me to ever consider that..

If you want them mental help I would follow the advice above rather than expecting the filth to be very forth coming with it.
    yep! - enough said!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It depends on what they did and why. If a relative had killed someone, for example, and when I asked "Why?" they said "Because (s)he was an obstacle in my plans" of course I'd give them in to the police! Why would their being a relative of mine stop me?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I would never report a relative to the police! It would have to be something proper fucked up for me to ever consider that..

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
    No one likes a grass. I'm a firm believer in sticking by your family no matter what (except paedophilia as that is well over the line).
    Aspire wrote:
    No one likes a grass. I'm a firm believer in sticking by your family no matter what (except paedophilia as that is well over the line).

being a grass is a very fine thing, whether right or wrong

at what point does grassing someone become right or wrong, in the scale of how bad a crime is

id grass on a mate if he was bating his gf, if nobody else would, yeh i might be a grass, but domestic abuse and many other forms of crimes, regardless of who is involved and how close they are to you, keep on going on, because someone is too ignorant and egocentric, and they think its better to let (for example) someone be continually abused or hurt, because they dont want to be labelled as a grass

if my personal safety (ie from gangs or dealers) wasnt in question, if it was any kind of serious crime, id rather be a grass and help someone, than a gutless self centred prat
    I bow to you Mr G
    bongbudda wrote:
    Primary Care Trust, its basically the over all organiser of health provision in your area, it runs the hospitals, GP's etc. (or at least thats how I understand it MoK may come on here and tell me I'm totally wrong)

You are right but they cannot get involved without the individual concerned giving permission.

It would actually be more helpful if the Police were informed TBH.
    MrG wrote:
    id grass on a mate if he was bating his gf, if nobody else would, yeh i might be a grass, but domestic abuse and many other forms of crimes, regardless of who is involved and how close they are to you, keep on going on, because someone is too ignorant and egocentric, and they think its better to let (for example) someone be continually abused or hurt, because they dont want to be labelled as a grass

I agree completely.

My cousin reported her brother to the police because he was physically and mentally abusing his girlfriend to the point where she couldn't not say anything and like all the geniuses who say "I'd go through another route" etc she wasn't clued up enough to know any other path to take. I think it took a hell of a lot of courage, and if she hadn't done that then he wouldn't be continuing to have the rehabilitation he is -- and they sure as hell wouldn't still be together and working on their relationship. He'd be in prison, she'd be dead... maybe both.

My parents took the other option with my brother, though. He was deported from America as a heroin addict and when he got back he was initially depressed at being separated from his wife, away from his home etc. He was abusive, terrifying and also started to steal signifigant amounts of money and property from my parents and other relatives and friends to feed his addiction which there was no chance of stopping. My parents suffered severe financial hardship, and lost a lot of friends during that time. It was - of course - suggested that they should shop him to the police but they never did, even though he did some dreadful things and if you'd asked me I would've probably been happy for just about anyone to take him away at that point. My parents somehow found the money to send him to a rehabilitation centre, and he did turn his life around completely.

I think with drug related crime a lot of people wouldn't think twice about calling the police, though. At least from what I've heard from people I know. Whatever the crime, I definitely don't think people should be condemned for getting the police involved. Sometime they're just not strong enough to handle their problems internally.