Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Credit Card Fraud

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Well. Possible Fraud on my Mum and Dads shared card. Got a block on it, there was according to the staff a suspicious purchase that they won't tell us anymore about. Lame.

But this pisses me off. It took 2 trys to block it, because they wanted the man whos name was on it, my dad (In the middle of the FUCKING NORTH SEA. How do they fucknig propose he does that?) But second person was more understanding.

BUT. Will they expect us to foot the bill if this is fraud? We can't really manage to pay it if they do. And what can we do? We're going to lose the net if we can't pay by the end of the month, and we can't reach my dad, who is not only at sea and we don't know when he'll be in (So we can check he didn't just by something stupid, or if he lost his), and he's also in Holland. So, any advice please for my mum? Legal or just helpful.

It has also been, generally, a CRAP day. My mate lost his MP3 player right after buying new headphones. D'oh.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't panic!

Any unauthorised transactions on a credit card are covered under the Consumer Credit Act and the cardholder is not responsible for fraudulent use. The cardholder will have to allow the credit card company to report the crime to the police and then the debit should automatically be removed from the card account.

Info from the BBC
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Don't panic!

Any unauthorised transactions on a credit card are covered under the Consumer Credit Act and the cardholder is not responsible for fraudulent use. The cardholder will have to allow the credit card company to report the crime to the police and then the debit should automatically be removed from the card account.

Info from the BBC

Ok, thats good!

Now... just to make sure it isn't my dad buying something stupid. It would bloody help if they would tell us WHAT it is that triggered the security alert... any idea why they won't? Or is it just that they need the man on the joint account to do it? (Sexist!)
  • Options
    Ask them to send a statement of the account.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Ask them to send a statement of the account.

Ah, I will tell my mum to do that. Good idea.

Edit: Mum has tried. They won't until they hear from my dad.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Edit: Mum has tried. They won't until they hear from my dad.
    How bizarre that it has to be the man!? Is it a joint account or is your mother just a named user on your father's account? If it is a joint one then the whole thing seems very odd. Which bank are they with?
  • Options
    it's not that it has to be the man, it's that it has to be the primary card holder. Which would be TG's dad in this case. For the future he could probably arrange that they can talk to her, but he'd have to be the one to do that.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    They will pay the money back to you....... my friend had it happen to her and she was freaking out because shes a skint student, but the bank paid it back :)