Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Particular Experiences Substances and Music

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Thought this might be quite interesting, for people to give accounts of pieces of music or parts of songs that have created a memorable moment or experience whilst under the influence of any particular substance and why. Also would be good to get any thoughts retrospectively on that experience.

I havent explained this particularly well so i'll go first and offer up an example which might help;

*Cannabis; Marvin Gaye - Whats Going On (Entire Album)...fucking amazing, gorgeous sonic textures that just seem to whisper to the weed altered mind.

*Delerium - Silence; Ok this is a bit of a 'Club Classics' cheese piece but, there is a mix of it which has a slightly extended break down which opens up into the most almighty crescendo of vocals and keyboards. I can remember that tune bringing me up to the Nth degree. Wonderful.

NOT SO GOOD:

*Cannabis; Getting the horrors BIG STYLE after listening to all 9 minutes of Coma by Guns N Roses, not nice.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Call me sick but I love listening to Gabber when stoned, I feel the electic in the tracks more. But also like listening to trance, there's a track called "Ronski Speed - E.O.S (MK-S Remix)" which sounds quality after a joint or two.

Anything fast and enegetic is always a must on pills though, for me anyway.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Aspire wrote:
    Call me sick but I love listening to Gabber when stoned, I feel the electic in the tracks more. But also like listening to trance, there's a track called "Ronski Speed - E.O.S (MK-S Remix)" which sounds quality after a joint or two.

Anything fast and enegetic is always a must on pills though, for me anyway.

I love gabber whilst off my tits on speed.
    I listen to jungle when I'm smoking and prefer hard trance or hardcore whilst pilled up.

It's always nice to listen to N-Trance - Set You Free (extended mix) whilst pilled up too.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    It's always nice to listen to N-Trance - Set You Free (extended mix) whilst pilled up too.
    :D :hyper:

The Streets - Has it come to this, over a mild housey beat on the first time on MDMA, just sat taking it all in, was amazing!!
    When stoned I like some good harcore or some psychedelic techno... depending on if i need to wake up or just fly away...
    For all other drugs Acid Techno or Hardcore...
    For Ketamine anything does the job if enough K have been snore...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    JJ454 wrote:
    :D :hyper:

The Streets - Has it come to this, over a mild housey beat on the first time on MDMA, just sat taking it all in, was amazing!!

Blinded By The Lights is a good pilled up track.
    Weekender Offender 
    I dont have any particular tracks really... music styles, yes...

Any Stimulants - I like Drum & Bass.... nice and fast, very explosive music, great for rushing on pills...
    I also like break beat while on pills... its really punchy music with nice squelchy basslines...

Mushrooms - I like or euphoric Trance or funky house that sort of thing... something with lots of melodys, always nice in that situation.

If im just having a smoke, I like either chill out, or maybe a bit of UK hip hop... just something nice and slow that you can mong out too
    Skive wrote:

oh and :yes: !!

Good to hear when coming up... always gets me in the mood!
    A few tracks remind me of good moments whilst taking MDMA:

Marco V - Red Blue Purple. Hard trance, almost hardstyle but fits suprisingly well into a more euphoric set. Always makes me go crazy! Just a really hard riff that works well.
    (sample)

Lost Witness - Happiness Happening. Very haunting, euphoric and kind of sad too. I heard this played by Jules at Gatecrasher NEC (15,000 people)
    (sample)

The Source ft. Candi Staton - You Got The Love (2006 New Voyager remix). This was the very last track played at a house night, and everyone on the dancefloor (which was quite packed) stood in a huge circle and linked up - a very loved-up moment!
    (sample)
    oh... I do remember one once!!

I was at a rave and the DJ dropped a tune called Blood Sugar by Pendulum...

It’s got a wicked vocal bit at the start with a posh voice that says...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we understand that you have come tonight to bare witness to the sounds of drum & bass... we regret to announce that this is not the case as instead we come tonight to bring you the sonic recreation of the end of the world... ladies and gentlemen... prepare... to hold... your... colour..."

Then it drops into this huge rumbling bassline which builds up and up and up... until it all cuts out and goes...

"ok, fuck it! I lied.... its drum & bass.... what ya gonna do!?"

Then it slams in... when it did I got the biggest rush ever... and it wouldn’t go away, my head and spine were tingling like mad, I thought I was going to explode in a good way... probably the most amazing feeling I have ever had!

and if you bothered to read all that dribble.... you win a cabbage!! :yippe:
    Sounds good *goes to download it*
    Another one...

Freaks - The Creeps (Steve Bug remix)
    (sample)

:D
    Sounds good *goes to download it*

I have a clip of it here... I only have the full tune on vinyl at the moment...

Here
    JamesZero wrote:
    I have a clip of it here... I only have the full tune on vinyl at the moment...

Here
    "The page cannot be found" :(
    Fixed
    Is it the guy off the news? Cool song :)
    I have no idea who it is actually...

I just remebered, I have the exact time they played on CD it cos I brought the pack from that rave... gets me going every time I hear it cos I know I was there... that and he drops an old DnB tune over the top of it...

and yes... im gay enough to upload that version as well! :D (Sounds good with the MC's)

Again!!!

I will stop now!
    stereo arrived in my life when electric ladyland came out!
    blew my head off!!!!!!!!!!!!

next was colour telly!
    it looked so strange ...that strange that some of us stuck with black and white for a few years!
    any good banging tune gets my heart racing when im sober

but any stimulants (esp. ecstasy) it has to be hard, banging, uplifting, energetic trance

cannabis, still love my banging tunes but ive more time for tunes that are a bit more mellow

trippy stuff its definatly physcadelic trance, you get lost in the music its brilliant

but all round im a hard trance head :yes:
    Freakiest moment I've ever had on pills was prodigy-break and enter in the dark by myself followed by aphex twin-windowlicker, mad craic. :shocking: :thumb:

Tunes that reminded me of the good times are as follows.

Baeleric Bill-Destination Sunshine
    Paul Van Dyke-For an Angel
    System F-Out of the Blue
    N-trance-Set you free
    Tiesto-Lord of Trance
    Alice Deejay-Better off Alone
    Mauro Picotto-Lizard

I know they're all cheesey songs but they're class and they definately remind me of taking pills flat out in my mates shed. So I don't give a fuck!
    When I'm on stimulants I like electroclash type stuff or techno.

One electrohouse tune which holds great memories is Felix Da Housecat - Watching Cars Go By. Absolutely love that tune.

Love listening to Prodigy when I'm either stoned or on class As. Older stuff like Charly and Out Of Space are on my most played list.

Usually when I'm stoned I'll listen to anything. Stuff like the doors and jimi hendrix and more recent bands like Arcade Fire and Interpol.

Love my electronica as well when I'm wired. Probably one of my notable favourites is Kraftwerk - Radioactivity . I can remember just getting totally absorbed in the melody when I was on MDMA one time. Electronica pioneers.
    Skive wrote:

Definitely :yes:
    this tune is a bit of a classic and always gets played when im out on pills and i just love it. i feel so loved up and happy and everyone im with usually dances together. :heart:

when i listen to it sober i get goose pimples. :blush:

alright - red carpet (brad carter mix)

if you want to listen go here and click mp3 second one down.
    there's a mix tape i've got, its a proper old Acid House set from August 1989, Colin Favor @ The Hacienda.

The last tune has got this wicked bassline, piano tune (not narrowing it down i know :rolleyes: ) and the lyrics are something like;

'We need, to come together, right now,
    We need, to live together, right now,
    Just when you think that life is getting harder,
    And everybody gets you down,
    We need to (stick?) with one another,
    When happieness is not around,
    Coz the times are changing, We'll feeling it getting closer, somehow...'

I would have loved to listen to that tune on pills.
    Skive wrote:

Forgot bout this tune...it really does sum up most nites out on the town...it's all good tho :thumb:
    the one song garanteed to knock my head off when im off it is Wand - haapiness. I used to hear it so often when i first started going out and its always had the same effect.

also when i was out a couple of weeks ago, not even off on anything someone played spin spin sugar and i can homestly say i rushed, although im not to sure off what lol
    Psychedelics + Mr Bungle: :no:
    Any kinda repetitive trance, stuff like Chemical Brothers, Infected Mushroom, etc too is lush on uppers.
    Kyuss, the Doors, Led Zeppelin is nice stoned.
    Any kind of cheesy crap when I'm pissed.
    When I'm stoned my favourite thing to do is sit in front of my laptop (so i got my good speaker set going) and watch my live led zeppelin dvd. My favourite songs on there just blow my mind with how fucking great they are.

When I'm pilling pretty much every song (long as it's loud so i can feel it, if you know what i mean) I'm like 'wow this is great, i fuckin love this song!!!'

And when I'm stoned, it's (generally) the complete opposite, I get very picky about music, tend to go on about how terrible whatever it is that's playing that I don't like is, and how someone should put on some Hendrix or Zeppelin (or other alternate band that I love and feel like listening too) cuz again, this music sucks!
    I don't know why, but weed turns me into a right opinionated moaner :yes:
    I don't know why, but weed turns me into a right opinionated moaner :yes:
    :lol:
    Pills, need dance music definately... alternating between trance, hardcore, hardstyle, and some really chilled out stuff in the early hours when everyones wrecked.

Coke... DnB, hardhouse, hardcore, anything bangin.

Gange... I'm picky as hell, probably some Nirvana or summat, or the odd rave tape, depends were I am and what atmosphere I'm in.

Music really can enhance drug experiences though.
    Uprising wrote:
    Music really can enhance drug experiences though.
    And vice versa...